follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Ec1990

Drives: '14 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opti-Coated the BRZ

Spent the last couple days and knocked this out on the BRZ.

Ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ec1990 For This Useful Post:
irxproductions (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
irxproductions

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2015 Speed Triple
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Lookin' damn fine!
irxproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irxproductions For This Useful Post:
Ec1990 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
i wish i did this to mine when i got the car
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 View Post
i wish i did this to mine when i got the car
It's never too late. It will just cost more for paint correction before they apply the coating.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:51 AM   #5
Food
Banned

Drives: ...saving up for FRS/BRZ still
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseZen View Post
It's never too late. It will just cost more for paint correction before they apply the coating.
Buy a Porter Cable 7424xp or Makita 9227c and DiY!

Getting it installed by someone else will cost twice to 3x as much as those polishers and you don't really know how well they'll even do it or what they're even really using.
Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #6
Ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Food View Post
Buy a Porter Cable 7424xp or Makita 9227c and DiY!

Getting it installed by someone else will cost twice to 3x as much as those polishers and you don't really know how well they'll even do it or what they're even really using.
Griot's is where its at for an entry polisher, or the Flex 3401, can't say I'd recommend the Makita just based on it's a rotary. With the gloss and polish you can get with a dual action its not worth the risk of burn through for most.
Food (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Food
Banned

Griots looks nice, similar price as the PC too. Is it better or more powerful than the PC? I think I read the Griots quality/build wasn't as good though as the PC iirc...I could be wrong though.

Flex is nice for sure...but it's also $400 lol. More or less for a professional that'll be using it everyday and not really for your own 1-3 personal vehicles you'll only be using a few times a year ....unless of course you got money and want the best
Old 08-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
Food
Banned

Those big orbit/long throw Rupes look really nice and easy to use too...15-21mm throw...2-3x more than an entry level DA with the ease and safety of random DA
Old 08-16-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
imom

Drives: BRZ sold
Opti coat is not all that... since you already have it on...apply some Gtechniq EXO after the OC is cured. I have/had OC on my car for a year now...etching galore from bird and bee poop. I just had the car quickly corrected to apply PPF and Gtechniq EXO.

If I had to do it again...I would do PPF on the front bumper at least if not the bumper and hood...I got fenders done too since I bought the kit. Then I would apply C.Quartz or C1 on the rest of the car. Then I would apply something like EXO. I just had EXO on for a week so it's too early to tell... but so far it's doing well even with the bird and bee poop... I need to do a wipe down to see if I can spot any defects from the poop.

P.s. Rupes Big foot is nice... my detailer uses it on my BRZ... I thought about getting one to learn.
imom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Ec1990

Quote:
Griots looks nice, similar price as the PC too. Is it better or more powerful than the PC? I think I read the Griots quality/build wasn't as good though as the PC iirc...I could be wrong though.

Flex is nice for sure...but it's also $400 lol. More or less for a professional that'll be using it everyday and not really for your own 1-3 personal vehicles you'll only be using a few times a year ....unless of course you got money and want the best
That's why I stuck with the Griot's. I have a Porter Cable 7424XP and used it initially, but it is less powerful than the Griot's by a large margin (450 watts compared to 850) and was bogged down on curved surfaces even when only using 5.5" pads. The Griot's also has a lifetime warranty if you live in America, and I've heard they are great about replacing parts and units. The 3rd generation moved the power switch which is a bit more ergonomic, but the 2nd gen I have works great.

Now I delegate the PC to being my 3" pad polisher. And it works great as that, not as handy as Griot's dedicated 3" polisher but more powerful than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
Opti coat is not all that... since you already have it on...apply some Gtechniq EXO after the OC is cured. I have/had OC on my car for a year now...etching galore from bird and bee poop. I just had the car quickly corrected to apply PPF and Gtechniq EXO.

If I had to do it again...I would do PPF on the front bumper at least if not the bumper and hood...I got fenders done too since I bought the kit. Then I would apply C.Quartz or C1 on the rest of the car. Then I would apply something like EXO. I just had EXO on for a week so it's too early to tell... but so far it's doing well even with the bird and bee poop... I need to do a wipe down to see if I can spot any defects from the poop.

P.s. Rupes Big foot is nice... my detailer uses it on my BRZ... I thought about getting one to learn.
If I didn't already have the tube of OC I was going to pick up Exo v2, likely on my next order I'll pick some up and strip the hood, few areas where the car could use more correction. The Rupes is fantastic but not $400 fantastic enough for me. I like CQuartz and CarPro is fantastic but only getting one application per bottle is quite expensive. I can get roughly three out of an Opti-Coat tube for the same price.

I think PPF is great and absolutely worth it for the cost pending you have a good installer and choose a good brand like Xpel.

Subaru is also quite a soft paint I've noticed and much more susceptible to etching as compared to other cars I've worked on.
Food (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
Food
Banned

So many choices and problems with coatings (etchings) etc and also sensitivity and hassle to having a perfect flawless correction before applying are making me wary of even wanting it anymore...especially considering the price and also only last 2 years and also is basically removed the next time you compound/polish your car...seems not worth it anymore.

...I think I'll just continue using OCW on a monthly basis after every wash...much simpler and last just as long as OC or other coatings since it's applied every month...not to mention a fresh deep glossy look after each application and also dat slickness
Old 08-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
imom

Drives: BRZ sold
Quote:
So many choices and problems with coatings (etchings) etc and also sensitivity and hassle to having a perfect flawless correction before applying are making me wary of even wanting it anymore...especially considering the price and also only last 2 years and also is basically removed the next time you compound/polish your car...seems not worth it anymore.

...I think I'll just continue using OCW on a monthly basis after every wash...much simpler and last just as long as OC or other coatings since it's applied every month...not to mention a fresh deep glossy look after each application and also dat slickness
It boils down to do you want a clean car all the time without any swirl marks or imperfections...whether it's a corolla, BRZ, or high end sportscar. I like a clean car and pleases my eyes when it's clean and not dirty. That's just me..there are times I let the car go 2 to 3 weeks without a wash, but since I am fairly careful about washing (wiping down) my car I don't have many or any markings. At the end of a year or two, you can then polish the car or hire someone to do it for you. I have my detailer that comes by time to time because I've been experimenting with the types of paint protection.

If I had to do it again...just hire the time to do a paint correction for the new car or current car and then just buy C.Quartz or Gtechniq C1. Both are off the shelf...C.Quartz finest is pro grade and you have to take it to detailer. Opti Coat is also pro grade, but didn't perform for the price. Exo v2 so far makes the car "pop" a bit and it's smooth. If you youtube xpel and exo you will know not to put exo under PPF. So I was interested when I put the EXO all over my car.

If you don't have any paint protection and just wash...you will get more etching and scratches down to the paint pass the clear coat. That's the main reason why folks do it...plus the less waxing is nice.
imom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:39 AM   #13
Food
Banned

Which lasts the longest and has the best durability tho? I though it was opticoat?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #14
Ec1990

Quote:
Which lasts the longest and has the best durability tho? I though it was opticoat?
In the grand scheme for a daily driver Opti-Coat is likely to last the longest in the 3-5 year range if not more. But its pretty difficult for any detailer to let their car go that long without minor correction. Being a daily driver you cant feasibly expect 100% correction and to maintain that unless you plan on not touching your vehicle. The 80-90% is what I aim for on a paint correction and to increase that over time.

Opti-Coat/CQuartz/GTechniq Exo are all great products, some easier than others to use. Or just continue to use high quality waxes and sealants. Personal favorites of mine are Menzerna PowerLock and Sonax Net Shield for sealants, waxes are Chemical Guys Pete's 53, Bouncer's Sherbet Fizz, and Blackfire Midnight Sun.
Food (08-17-2014)