follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
Superman

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT/GSX-R 1000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptan View Post
I got a rock in mine about two weeks after I bought it. Still had the dealer plates on...

I had it replaced by the dealership:

$429 Windshield
$34 Sales Tax
$225 Labor

Total of $688.

I also got some quotes from safelite before hand. If I remember right these were the prices...

~$660 for OEM glass
~$480 for safelite glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Exact same thing happened to me, but I waited until this week to finally get it fixed.

My dealership said they don't do glass work. They actually farm it out to Safelite.

Safelite quoted me $520 for their glass and couldn't pencil me in for an appointment until the following week.

A local place that got high reviews on line did it for $420 all in with no appointment necessary. They were supposed to install Pilkington glass, but for some reason I ended up with APTech instead. Either brand would have been fine, as both of them are OEM manufacturers for a variety of vehicles.

After going through it, I would strongly suggest shopping around, reading reviews and asking what glass brands they use. Then get the most reputable brand at the cheapest price from the most reputable installer. I got better glass and saved $100.
What brands of glass are considered good? and what is not? Is OEM a certain brand? or is that just manufactured by Toyota? I am not very up to speed on the glass technology, so any help is greatly appreciated. -Thanks.
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_kennington View Post
Full coverage, insurance will pay 100% of new windshield. At least I know Geico does
That depends on what state you're in. I have Geico, and they do not pay 100% in my state. I have windshield coverage as part of my comprehensive policy, but it is subject to the same $500 deductible as any other repair. So I might as well not have windshield coverage at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
What brands of glass are considered good? and what is not? Is OEM a certain brand? or is that just manufactured by Toyota? I am not very up to speed on the glass technology, so any help is greatly appreciated. -Thanks.
OEM stands for "original equipment manufacturer." It just means that the windshield is the same part from the same maker that manufactured the original windshield.

When I recently asked a question here regarding my windshield replacement, someone suggested Pilkington. I had asked for Pilkington at the shop and ended up with APTech instead. At first I was alarmed, but I felt okay about it once I got a chance to look up APTech and saw that it was widely considered a reputable manufacturer. It looks fine in the car.

I don't actually know who makes our windshields, but I know that Pilkington and APTech both make OEM windshields for a variety of cars. PPG is another. I don't think you'll really go wrong unless you end up with some Chinese glass from that guy who installs windshields next to the Pull-a-Part for $150. (Actually, I put one of those in my beat up Jeep, and it's been fine for that purpose.)
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, brz, crack, frs, windshield