follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #43
Scalzo

Drives: Asphalt FRS <3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuning View Post
It would be a pretty long drive for you, but if your car is mechanically sound otherwise, we can tune it. The blow-thru MAF design as it is leaves a lot to be desired, but it can still be tuned well enough to keep fuel trims within reasonable limits.

However, running a custom 2.5" MAF tube with a properly positioned MAF sensor, BOV on the hot side IC tube, and a hybrid speed density blend tune would be the way to go.

Hopefully you can get it resolved at no additional cost to you though.

- Toan

Basically at that point get a new kit , I got no one local that know the twins that well

I think I'm gonna go back to n/a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #44
Frs300

Drives: Pile of junk
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalzo View Post
I'll get back to replying your messages tomorrow...

Just a quick update.
Still no answer from JR .

he was out of the country
Frs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #45
Scalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frs300 View Post
he was out of the country

He was in Israel but he sent me an email like last week saying he would sort everything in the morning.. Which he hasn't , emailing prime to see how much to go back to stock .. The turbo kit doesn't stop making me spend money .. There's always a problem and nonone seems to be able to figure out anything 😞
Best bet I think is go to stock and hopefully still have warranty :/

Old 07-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #46
Scalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
@Scalzo
have you ever gotten a response from Junior? I sent him yet another email and it's like a blackhole.

I kind of wrote off already those money spent on installation and dyno tuning at primemotoring (the claim was my car made 299whp on their mustang dyno) since as far as I'm aware (did my own logging) the car never run well.
@jamesm is tuning my car now. It takes a long time but since he started he pointed me to a number of problems due to installation issues: a boost leak from blown MAF o-ring, a boost leak from poor clamping of the SS silicon outlet pipe connection to intake pipe, fuel pressure dropping when fuel tank is less than 1/2 a tank due to f.. up fuel pump installation.

The price to go back to stock is kinda tempting me ... How long have you been using jamesm?

Old 07-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #47
Scalzo

Issues starting

So jr got back to me with a new tune he is aware of the situation , he's having trouble with another kit having the same issue as me but he's figured it out worse case he said it's better to change the upper pipe to p&ls

Last edited by Scalzo; 07-09-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Scalzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #48
PrimeMotoring

Drives: FRS with 2jz, 2015 STI 9.68@147
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I had boost pressure tested your car right in front of you so that there would be complete confidence in what I was doing. We have installed plenty of these kits with no issues and if an issue was to come up such as a boost leak that would come up we would of course take care of it immediately. One look at our social media would show the amount of forced induction we have done with these cars many of them being daily drivers. If you had brought up any issues after installation we would have tried to promptly get them taken care of. We work hard with JR to make sure the customer in the end is happy and verify if the issue is hardware related or tune related. Remember you had given us SIR injectors and you had issues getting any additional information from them directly (thread here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67722 All the cars we tune with Injector Dynamics run flawless. In terms of your pump that is another issue that you never made us aware of. We have done countless fuel pumps in this platform with no such similar issues. As far as communication with JR we have no control over his email. We try to make him aware of any issues that come to us as best as possible.

Quote:
@Scalzo
have you ever gotten a response from Junior? I sent him yet another email and it's like a blackhole.

I kind of wrote off already those money spent on installation and dyno tuning at primemotoring (the claim was my car made 299whp on their mustang dyno) since as far as I'm aware (did my own logging) the car never run well.
@jamesm is tuning my car now. It takes a long time but since he started he pointed me to a number of problems due to installation issues: a boost leak from blown MAF o-ring, a boost leak from poor clamping of the SS silicon outlet pipe connection to intake pipe, fuel pressure dropping when fuel tank is less than 1/2 a tank due to f.. up fuel pump installation.
PrimeMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #49
P&L Motorsports

Drives: '13 Turbo BRZ (AT) & '13 FRS
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
So jr got back to me with a new tune he is aware of the situation , he's having trouble with one p&l kit having the same issue as me but he's figured it out worse case he said it's better to change the upper pipe to p&ls

Just to clarify, there is no car having starting issues with the P&L turbo kit.

There is however a car here at P&L, with another manufacturer's turbo kit, that is having a similar starting issue. We've been working on a solution for that car and have found that it most likely is being caused by the kit design placing the MAF sensor so close to the exhaust.

This is why Junior suggested changing to the P&L intercooler piping as our MAF sensor is routed away from the exhaust side of the turbo.

Ty @ P&L
P&L Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #50
Scalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeMotoring View Post
I had boost pressure tested your car right in front of you so that there would be complete confidence in what I was doing. We have installed plenty of these kits with no issues and if an issue was to come up such as a boost leak that would come up we would of course take care of it immediately. One look at our social media would show the amount of forced induction we have done with these cars many of them being daily drivers. If you had brought up any issues after installation we would have tried to promptly get them taken care of. We work hard with JR to make sure the customer in the end is happy and verify if the issue is hardware related or tune related. Remember you had given us SIR injectors and you had issues getting any additional information from them directly (thread here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67722 All the cars we tune with Injector Dynamics run flawless. In terms of your pump that is another issue that you never made us aware of. We have done countless fuel pumps in this platform with no such similar issues. As far as communication with JR we have no control over his email. We try to make him aware of any issues that come to us as best as possible.
You guys have been great with all the help! Much appreciated !

P&L sorry about the misunderstanding just re read the email I read it wrong lol I'll update my post

Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #51
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I was having similar issues to the op for a lng time.

We couldnt figure out what it was.

Today, I put a different fuel pump in it and spent another half day on the dyno.

Car starts and runs amazing now.
All the starting issues are gone!

Im super stoked!
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #52
Scalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
I was having similar issues to the op for a lng time.

We couldnt figure out what it was.

Today, I put a different fuel pump in it and spent another half day on the dyno.

Car starts and runs amazing now.

All the starting issues are gone!

Im super stoked!

Interesting .. I just got another revised map from JR so I'm labelling this tune 3.
Tune 2 I tried this morning and it didn't work it started but slowly died then stalled
I'll try tune 3 soon and post what's up

Old 07-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #53
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Quote:
Interesting .. I just got another revised map from JR so I'm labelling this tune 3.
Tune 2 I tried this morning and it didn't work it started but slowly died then stalled
I'll try tune 3 soon and post what's up

Ours was very weird.
Once it got heat soaked, it wouldn't start worth a shit.

It would stall on the grid and I would lose pedal dance and my map.
It has been very frustrating to be honest, but the difference now is night and day. Blipping, everything is spot on now.
No more hunting - idle is perfect.

It feels faster now on the pump map than it did on the race map before.

D
Old 07-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #54
Scalzo

I really hope this 3rd tune fixes it

Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #55
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Quote:
which pump did you have and what pump did you replace it with? also, are you sure that the original pump was properly installed. i noticed it's pretty hard to get the pump with those o-ring(s) inside the casing.
Yes the pump was installed correctly.

It had issues when it got hot. Cold start - np, heat soaked - wtf?

Under hard throttle it ran ok. But it was difficult to rev match, and it kept dying at the worst times possible. Particularly on the grid after I had already done the pdal dance and switched my maps, etc.

It was really a pain in the ass and I kept doing my quickst laps with the pump gas setting with the ebf on. Iow, the car as a pita to drive.

Now even driving around, the car feels like a rocket. I cant wait to see what happens next time I put race gas in it.....

And I went with the green AEM pump
The Following User Says Thank You to D K For This Useful Post:
vgi (07-09-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #56
kingkai23

Drives: 13 swp limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I was just tuned by jr and prime have same issues..have to go back because issues with dyno..but car has lumpy idle ..stalls hard starts.i ordered a new tial spring for bov i noticed the valve open at idle hopefully that will help with some of the issues..stop and go traffic is a adventure to drive but highway cruising is fine..my kit is a jdl kit with id1000s and dw65 i hope jr can fine tune my car next time i go back
kingkai23 is offline   Reply With Quote