follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Nice, I'm actually impressed. I just clicked back 50 pages and picked a random thread and said two words from it.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #16
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
This would have been better if it was a moved thread that merged ALL of those useless rumor threads. They're just taking up space where they are right now.

The Toyota/BMW project is for the upper tier car that Toyota is doing. Toyota has said before that the 86 is the mid-level car of their 3-level sports car plan. The next supra (the one they're most likely teaming up with BMW for) is most likely the FT-1, so it's not going to be the replacement for the 86, just it's bigger brother.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
This would have been better if it was a moved thread that merged ALL of those useless rumor threads. They're just taking up space where they are right now.

The Toyota/BMW project is for the upper tier car that Toyota is doing. Toyota has said before that the 86 is the mid-level car of their 3-level sports car plan. The next supra (the one they're most likely teaming up with BMW for) is most likely the FT-1, so it's not going to be the replacement for the 86, just it's bigger brother.
I just find it funny that the same people who complain about reposts take the time out of their lives to click, read, and post in these threads. A better solution is to simply ignore them so that they stop going to the top of the page.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (06-26-2014), strat61caster (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #18
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
I read ONE article out of all that click bait, decided it was just another rumor that had no basis considering what we already knew about Toyota's plans for a 3-level sports car offering, and went on with my life.

It's more annoying seeing the folks who are supposed fans say ridiculous things like "I hope it's true, I want my car to be rare" that really boil my blood. It's pure selfishness, honestly. I'd MUCH rather see this car become another Miata: going strong for 20 years such that it'd stupidly cheap to acquire, stupid fun to drive, and really cheap to kit out.

That's what I want: to see this car become THAT successful. Then I can say "I was an early adopter. I fell in love with the FT86 before it was cool." That kind of "gloating" is okay. It means the car is still succeeding. When a production run is killed off, it's sad, and I don't like seeing folks who like the car WANT that to happen.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
00NissanNinja (06-26-2014), MokSpeed (06-26-2014), strat61caster (06-26-2014), unsurety (06-27-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #19
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I read ONE article out of all that click bait, decided it was just another rumor that had no basis considering what we already knew about Toyota's plans for a 3-level sports car offering, and went on with my life.
At least this time they have a quote from someone credible

But he said the same thing 9 months ago so still not sure how it's groundbreaking.

Bleh was hoping my rotary post would have gotten a few more bites but I didn't really hit the believability factor quite right.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #20
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with @SirBrass except the future of the twins. I actually see the twins taking the path of the Civic than the Miata.

I come to that conclusion by the populous on this forum.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #21
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I'm doing this to prove a point: that this site needs a "news/rumors" subsection. In fact, this site needs several subsections to clear up clutter...
Yes. This same information has been posted and reposted, mostly because people (who are generally too lazy to search) don't see the existing threads.

A news/rumors subsection for speculating on the future direction of the Twins would help prevent this.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #22
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Wait, is this where we're supposed to post that we heard toyota was buying subaru? Or... whatever it was?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (06-26-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #23
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

It's more annoying seeing the folks who are supposed fans say ridiculous things like "I hope it's true, I want my car to be rare" that really boil my blood. It's pure selfishness, honestly. I'd MUCH rather see this car become another Miata: going strong for 20 years such that it'd stupidly cheap to acquire, stupid fun to drive, and really cheap to kit out.

That's what I want: to see this car become THAT successful. Then I can say "I was an early adopter. I fell in love with the FT86 before it was cool." That kind of "gloating" is okay. It means the car is still succeeding. When a production run is killed off, it's sad, and I don't like seeing folks who like the car WANT that to happen.
I can agree with this. My only thing is that in order for it to remain a success, improvements need to be made, especially if other manufactures create direct competitors. As to what those improvements are, everybody will have their own opinion on what they think can be better. Some want more power, some want less weight, some want better factory tires, brakes etc etc. It will have to evolve though at some point. Just my opinion based on what I've seen from other cars.

As far as the rumor mill goes, I don't believe jack shit I see on any of these sites. Somebody is going to go ask the CEO of Toyota next week what are their future plans for Toyota and he'll reply with "hold on, I'm going to lunch at McDonalds, I'll be back to answer your question in 10 minutes". The same day, articles will be all over the web titled "Toyota files bankruptcy. Being bought out by McDonalds"

...obviously an extreme exaggeration but it's the truth. Somebody gets something out of context, makes an assumption on what the hidden message, if any, is and then makes some bullshit story on it and then everybody believes it.

Until I see confirmed proof that the FRS/BRZ will no longer be in the lineup for the upcoming MY, I won't believe it nor even waste the time to read any of this poorly fabricated articles.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
serialk11r (06-27-2014), SirBrass (06-27-2014), wparsons (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #24
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
Nice, I'm actually impressed. I just clicked back 50 pages and picked a random thread and said two words from it.
It depends on how good someone is at searching. Some people just take a really long time, and some are really good at finding stuff. My wife will look for something on the internet for an hour and then finally ask me for it. I'll find it in under five minutes most of the time. I have to be good at finding answers otherwise I'd suck at my IT job.

See, where most people would go to search, start looking for acceleration, or just start browsing through the rest of the forum.. I hit up google, type site:ft86club.com "uneven acceleration" and, BOOM!, first result. Could've even hit that "I'm feeling lucky" button!

Hope you learned something.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #25
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
The FR-S/86/GT86 will have a minimum 6 year run with a mid-cycle refresh. Just look at Toyota's history for it's mass produced sports cars as reference. The Supra, the Celica and each iteration of the MR2 followed the same basic schedule. History does not lie and big corporations are creatures of habit.

What Subaru does with the BRZ will probably mirror Toyota due to the production link. Both companies have too big an investment in this chassis to stop the production run any time soon. Especially when they are still selling better than nearly any other sports car currently in production.

Therefore, the twins will stay in production until at least 2018 before production ceases or they are re-engineered for a second generation model.

Take it to the bank. My logic and sources are as credible as anything posted in any of these recent articles.

Last edited by Rampage; 06-27-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rampage For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (06-27-2014), unsurety (06-27-2014), wparsons (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #26
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
I was at a performance shop with my car a few weeks ago and one of the techs had a twin with at least 10k of work in it. We were talking then he is like, have you heard they are going to discontinue them? I wanted to facepalm so hard, wasn't sure if serious or trying to real life troll me. Just said oh thought it was a joke...

Some things I will never understand
Old 06-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #27
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
I was at a performance shop with my car a few weeks ago and one of the techs had a twin with at least 10k of work in it. We were talking then he is like, have you heard they are going to discontinue them? I wanted to facepalm so hard, wasn't sure if serious or trying to real life troll me. Just said oh thought it was a joke...

Some things I will never understand
It's like when people post links to the Onion and actually believe news articles published there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (06-27-2014), wparsons (06-27-2014), ZionsWrath (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #28
sshole
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
The FR-S/86/GT86 will have a minimum 6 year run with a mid-cycle refresh. Just look at Toyota's history for it's mass produced sports cars as reference. The Supra, the Celica and each iteration of the MR2 followed the same basic schedule. History does not lie and big corporations are creatures of habit.

What Subaru does with the BRZ will probably mirror Toyota due to the production link. Both companies have too big an investment in this chassis to stop the production run any time soon. Especially when they are still selling better than nearly any other sports car currently in production.

Therefore, the twins will stay in production until at least 2018 before production ceases or they are re-engineered for a second generation model.

Take it to the bank. My logic and sources are as creditable as anything posted in any of these recent articles.
Subaru's chassis refresh cycle is wonky, though. 1st gen Impreza is 1992-2000 (8 years), 2nd gen 2000-2007 (7 years), 3rd gen 2008-2014 (6 years).
sshole is offline   Reply With Quote