follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #29
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
some crosstalk has been intentionally engineered in to allow simultaneous compression and rebound adjustment
Mmm...isn't that undesirable?
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #30
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,182 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Thanks Mike.

Basically I'm wanting to know your public opinion on these as being a good fit for a car like mine and a driver like me seeking a good value coilover with good street-ability and good track-ability. I really like the idea of turning one knob for simultaneous C&R adjustment over a wide range. I am not a suspension tuning expert and I'd really prefer the ease of adjustment that the Mono Sport has over a two-way adjustable damper.

I also really like the included camber adjustable top mounts on the fronts; two less things to worry about buying separately. I can't find anything wrong with these for my application and so I'm really excited about them. The EDCS compatibility sounds like icing on the cake.
It's difficult to say having never actually sat in a car with you. These coilovers are more street oriented than flat out performance; you just can't optimize for both at this price point. They won't be the most plush suspension, but it won't have the best performance either, but I think you have a good enough idea of what you want that you can adjust the damper settings to reach your goal.

In short, I think it'll work for you for now, but I also think you'll eventually outgrow the systems once you reach the limitations of the MonoSport.

You can always change the spring rates within a small range, but I wouldn't go too far off.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #31
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Spring Rates?

Good for track use?
8k/9k

Good for those that have minimal/no coilover knowledge. I highly recommend you play with the settings to see what they do. If you track consistently (once every other month or so), you'll eventually outgrow these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Mmm...isn't that undesirable?
Typically yes, as the crosstalk is often not linear. In this case, it's been designed to match the spring rates (and type) provided with the coilover.

If it were a 2/3/4 way adjustable damper, then it would be absolutely undesirable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (05-14-2014), TestaRossa (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #32
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you track consistently (once every other month or so), you'll eventually outgrow these.
What coilover do you recommend if you plan to track consistently every other month and also something that someone wouldn't outgrow easily?
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #33
TestaRossa

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
What coilover do you recommend if you plan to track consistently every other month and also something that someone wouldn't outgrow easily?
I bet he's gonna say SRC

Saorri for mah bad English
TestaRossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #34
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestaRossa View Post
I bet he's gonna say SRC
2-way motorsport grade suspension setup. While entry level 2-ways are better at handling the intended application compared to OTS 1-ways, they are usually outgrown within a couple track days. That's just the nature of the sport and the limitations of the car.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #35
B L U E S L A T E

Drives: BMW E84
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Buy my SRCs. lol
B L U E S L A T E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B L U E S L A T E For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #36
CSG Mike

Quote:
What's your budget for ALL suspension mods?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #37
fooddude
Banned

Quote:
What's your budget for ALL suspension mods?
$1.5k..maayyybe push it to $2k if I can save up more. but absolutely no more than $2k, since $2k is already really really really expensive for me (most likely the most expensive aftermarket upgrade/mod/part on the car).

...so that leaves out the nicer entry/mid-level, but serious, ones like SRC, R&T, RCE, etc.. And, obviously can't afford JRZ, Sachs, Moton, MCS, etc. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to fooddude For This Useful Post:
BatStig (10-12-2016)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #38
CSG Mike

Quote:
$1.5k..maayyybe push it to $2k if I can save up more. but absolutely no more than $2k, since $2k is already really really really expensive for me (most likely the most expensive aftermarket upgrade/mod/part on the car).

...so that leaves out the nicer entry/mid-level, but serious, ones like SRC, R&T, RCE, etc.. And, obviously can't afford JRZ, Sachs, Moton, MCS, etc. lol
These may fit the bill for you then. I'd recommend you look into the Bilstein B16, as well as consider just doing top hats, lower control arms, Swift spec-r springs, and keeping the oem dampers.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
fooddude (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 AM   #39
fooddude
Banned

Stock dampers and lcas?

Not really interested in rear lcas(isn't this a big waste of money for the budget minded? ..unless your left to right camber is very unequal from the dealership or it's been curbed/crashed, or to correct neg camber for DD use ..but to add rear neg camber for track use for more traction and to keep off the outer tire shoulders, wouldn't a drop already net you a decent amount already in the rear? like -2.5)

..and also not interested in stock dampers. (were you joking?)

But I do like and am attracted to those Spec-Rs tho
Old 05-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #40
skyloran
Honeydew old ID

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
this is tempting. put on the list.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #41
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Stock dampers and lcas?

Not really interested in rear lcas(isn't this a big waste of money for the budget minded? ..unless your left to right camber is very unequal from the dealership or it's been curbed/crashed, or to correct neg camber for DD use ..but to add rear neg camber for track use for more traction and to keep off the outer tire shoulders, wouldn't a drop already net you a decent amount already in the rear? like -2.5)

..and also not interested in stock dampers. (were you joking?)

But I do like and am attracted to those Spec-Rs tho
Stock dampers are really good for what they are. Stock dampers allows you to put the power down on certain corners that require excellent valving to achieve for other coilover setups. While transitioning and settling are slower, its potential is actually VERY high.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
fooddude (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #42
fooddude
Banned

Anyone here against Tein entry/mid level stuff? If so, feel free to spit out your hate and rage with past bad experiences.

The only reason I haven't locked onto a decision with buying a Tein set for my future coilovers, is that because reviews and experiences with Tein coilovers can be very mixed and confusing - many say they are the harshest, crappiest ride, coilovers they every had.. while many others say they are pretty good. (many different platforms and Tein models of course).

i remember in the 90s, when Tein was first starting to get popular and it was the go-to and most desired "jdm" coilover, you'd never hear bad reviews or opinions on them; only the highest of praises and recommendations (even tho most that praised them never owned them and only wanted them cuz they were "jdm/cool").

15-20 years later, after a 10 year break from "import sports cars" and only very recently rekindling my interest with cars again and researching everything current once again..I now read many many bad Tein reviews upon google searches on random various forums. Maybe even more bad reviews than good. Idk if those bad reviews are just bandwagon jumpers wanting to talk smack because everyone else is, or if these people were expecting a caddy kush ride.

ANyways..would love to hear the naysayers and haters of Tein products and your reasons.