follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #15
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Fanatics argue that it's mid-engined because the engine sits behind the front axle, sometimes you can get them to concede that it's 'front-mid-engine' or 'mid-front-engine'.

The thing that gets me is 'Like the original ... set to be a coupe' wtf.

Also what cars did the S2k sit between before? The NSX was discontinued in 2005 so it wasn't there for half it's life, what sat underneath it? Civic Si?

Edit: More importantly an article with zero sources and outrageous claims, this really doesn't warrant much discussion.
We'll actually, you might be able to argue that the Acura RSX or Honda Integra and it's type R version sat under the S2k, when the S2k was first out the Si wasn't a coupe it was a hatch like the rest of the world. The sedan CTR Japan only didn't come out till the end of the Integra, S2k was still around when they had that CTR so technically I think S2k was the halo for the years The NSX was gone. You're mostly right though, this has been the only article online with this rumor too. But after checking in on the Honda side of things and their main forums temple of vtec, there seem to be some similar rumor. Althought they're saying a 280hp coupe, I don't think well see the s660 here state side, I mean a three cylinder 105hp light convertible doesn't seem like something people want over here we have miata for that, and people already complain about its hp

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #16
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A) This article is unfounded clickbait. The likelihood of Honda having the impetus to deliver something like this is remote.

B) Even if they did have the impetus to do this, what's the possibility of it happening anytime soon? Wasn't the "new" NSX supposed to be launched in 2012 or something?

C) Even if they did do something like this mid-engine hybrid S2k, which they won't, the claimed price is $35k? Well that's proof right there that it will fail, for the same reason the S2000 did. It's too expensive. Economically, America's middle class is shrinking faster than ever before and the $35k+ price range just isn't going cut it. They need to deliver a sports car in the $20-25k range. No more "middle range". Make a car for the rich folk and one for the poor folk because there just isn't many folk in the middle.

D) Why would I want this? Let's think about it. Turbo, Hybrid, AWD + current safety regs. Can you say fat ass? No way this car is under 3000lbs. Does 300hp and 40mpg get me excited, yes but something with those number has been "just around the corner" for over 10 years now from more than just Honda. I'll believe it when it shows up on a showroom floor (preferably under 3000lbs).

E) "Honda". Errr wrong. At $35k, that thing better have a damn Acura badge on it.
airjonny (05-11-2014), Bristecom (05-16-2014), raul (05-11-2014), skye67 (07-23-2014), strat61caster (05-11-2014), Zaku (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #17
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
We'll actually, you might be able to argue that the Acura RSX or Honda Integra and it's type R version sat under the S2k, when the S2k was first out the Si wasn't a coupe it was a hatch like the rest of the world. The sedan CTR Japan only didn't come out till the end of the Integra, S2k was still around when they had that CTR so technically I think S2k was the halo for the years The NSX was gone. You're mostly right though, this has been the only article online with this rumor too. But after checking in on the Honda side of things and their main forums temple of vtec, there seem to be some similar rumor. Althought they're saying a 280hp coupe, I don't think well see the s660 here state side, I mean a three cylinder 105hp light convertible doesn't seem like something people want over here we have miata for that, and people already complain about its hp
I think we will see a 1L or maybe 1.3L version of the S660 here in the US and in Europe as an entry level competitor, undercutting the FR-S/BRZ & beating Toyota's MR2 remake to the market at around $20k new, and the new S2000 won't come until later on and will compete in the 30-45k sports coupe range against cars like the next generation Nissan Z.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
Zaku (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #18
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
A) This article is unfounded clickbait. The likelihood of Honda having the impetus to deliver something like this is remote.

B) Even if they did have the impetus to do this, what's the possibility of it happening anytime soon? Wasn't the "new" NSX supposed to be launched in 2012 or something?

C) Even if they did do something like this mid-engine hybrid S2k, which they won't, the claimed price is $35k? Well that's proof right there that it will fail, for the same reason the S2000 did. It's too expensive. Economically, America's middle class is shrinking faster than ever before and the $35k+ price range just isn't going cut it. They need to deliver a sports car in the $20-25k range. No more "middle range". Make a car for the rich folk and one for the poor folk because there just isn't many folk in the middle.

D) Why would I want this? Let's think about it. Turbo, Hybrid, AWD + current safety regs. Can you say fat ass? No way this car is under 3000lbs. Does 300hp and 40mpg get me excited, yes but something with those number has been "just around the corner" for over 10 years now from more than just Honda. I'll believe it when it shows up on a showroom floor (preferably under 3000lbs).

E) "Honda". Errr wrong. At $35k, that thing better have a damn Acura badge on it.
I think you hit the nail on the head, although it seems that Honda doesn't want to take the FR route and save money they rather stay safe with the FF route, or try to push that 4wd system into their cars. It's also somewhat known that the current CEO favors Mid engine cars, he seems to think that Mid engine is the only type of sport car there is, therefore he's an advocate of MR layouts. Honda has always tried to be different from their Nissan and Toyota competition. When all the other companies had FR, they had MR and FF. If this car is to sit as a Halo of Honda here in the states then 35K does seem plausible, and people did buy the S2k at the 34K price. If it was an acura, there's just that excuse to say upbrand and charge you close to cayman territory if it's an MR.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #19
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
I think we will see a 1L or maybe 1.3L version of the S660 here in the US and in Europe as an entry level competitor, undercutting the FR-S/BRZ & beating Toyota's MR2 remake to the market at around $20k new, and the new S2000 won't come until later on and will compete in the 30-45k sports coupe range against cars like the next generation Nissan Z.

I wonder what are the chances they'll try to turbo charge it for extra power,they have good knowledge on this front and they've used it for their CTR and SUV in the past, I wonder if this will be something, since Honda is really pushing it's one great platform, the FIT. Let's not forget the Next Z, Nissan can't seem to take a hint, but if they did and a 240Z revival happens then we're gonna have some of that 90s golden age back fellas. At least I'm hopeful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
Sideways&Smiling (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #20
rice_classic

The Honda rumors are strong on the internet... STRONG!

From 2012: "Honda will release an All-new Roadster in 2014!"
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar135267.html

From 2013: "CRZ Type R to battle the FRS/BRZ/GT86"
http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...rz_scion_fr_s/

From 2013: "Honda working on baby s2000" Jalopnick: Filed under "shit we heard"
http://jalopnik.com/honda-could-poss...ess-1303121563

From 2013: "S660 Concept debuted at Tokyo Motor Show" -Best part about this article is this Honda Tradition:
Quote:
Due in 2015, the production version of the S660 has only been confirmed for the Japanese Market and is unlikely to be sold in the U.S.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ebuts-in-tokyo
Zaku (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #21
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
If this car is to sit as a Halo of Honda here in the states then 35K does seem plausible, and people did buy the S2k at the 34K price. If it was an acura, there's just that excuse to say upbrand and charge you close to cayman territory if it's an MR.
If the rumors were to ever be true and Honda sold an AWD, Turbo, 300hp, 40mpg sports car for $35k, it'd be hard to justify a Cayman S.

Yes, people did buy S2ks in the first 2 years but as of 2002 they only sold 9,684 units in the States and it declined every year from there on. It was too little car for too much money. It needed to be 40hp and $9k less.
Zaku (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #22
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
If the rumors were to ever be true and Honda sold an AWD, Turbo, 300hp, 40mpg sports car for $35k, it'd be hard to justify a Cayman S.

Yes, people did buy S2ks in the first 2 years but as of 2002 they only sold 9,684 units in the States and it declined every year from there on. It was too little car for too much money. It needed to be 40hp and $9k less.
Yeah I feel like, Honda thought it was special, well it is it hold such a special place in my heart. And it was for some anniversary thing too, maybe Honda felt that it was so exclusive that the 34K prize was justified. If say something like the S2k came out right now here for 2015, and it's got the 240hp and good MPG, being the same size, but modern styling for 35K I would agree with you. I wouldn't pay more than 30K because if they made a modernized Z that gave you like 305hp for 35K That's more justified. Then again it's Honda, I've lost some faith in them and I'm a big Honda enthusiast.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #23
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
If Honda ever does come out with a good RWD NA or even Turbo coupe the BRZ will be for sale with a quickness... super quickness.. might not even bother taking the parts off it.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Draco_PR23 (05-12-2014), fatoni (05-11-2014), sprintertrueno86 (05-11-2014), Zaku (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #24
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Honda and Acura should roll out that NSX already. The damn thing has been teased too long and it'll need a refresh the minute the first orders are in.

However, if this level 99 clickbait is somewhat true, it would be a pretty cool car. The Si engine would be more realistic tho. And if Honda still wants to be boring, they can inject some life into Acura. The NSX is unattainable for 98% of their base.
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to airjonny For This Useful Post:
Mikem53 (07-23-2014), SirBrass (05-12-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #25
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,182 Times in 965 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I think some people are getting confused. The S660 and this "new S2000" are suppose to be two different cars.

S660

New S2000

NSX
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Zaku (05-12-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #26
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post
Honda and Acura should roll out that NSX already. The damn thing has been teased too long and it'll need a refresh the minute the first orders are in.

However, if this level 99 clickbait is somewhat true, it would be a pretty cool car. The Si engine would be more realistic tho. And if Honda still wants to be boring, they can inject some life into Acura. The NSX is unattainable for 98% of their base.
Its only been about 2 years since the NSX concept was shown off. Production version has been confirmed for 2015. All in all, a 3 years wait isn't too bad.

Yup, Honda has said the new NSX will cost even more than the GT-R.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #27
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
If Honda ever does come out with a good RWD NA or even Turbo coupe the BRZ will be for sale with a quickness... super quickness.. might not even bother taking the parts off it.
Dibs on the brakes.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #28
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Heres an older article from 2010.

New Honda S2000 plans revealed

Small mid-engined, rear-drive successor to the Honda S2000 is likely to be a hybrid

Quote:
Honda is preparing a dramatic return to sports cars with a small mid-engined, rear-drive successor to the Honda S2000 - and it's likely to be a hybrid. The car is believed to be a cross between the S2000 roadster, phased out last year, and the original Honda Beat mini-car of 1991. Engineers are said to be working on the car at Honda's R&D centre at Tochigi, north of Tokyo.

Honda's design chief, Nobuki Ebisawa, hinted to Autocar late last year that, despite the decision to axe its F1 team and cancel the next-generation NSX, there was a long-term plan to develop a hybrid with greater performance than Honda's only remaining sporty model, the CR-Z.

"That car is only one shape of Honda's hybrid sports cars in the current age," he said.

Proof that the project has since been picked up has emerged in Japanese patent applications. They outline plans for a roadster using a subframe and parts from current cars but adding technology, reducing the kerb weight and cutting production costs. This points to the use of aluminium, a material that Ebisawa has admitted is a likely feature of future models.

The car is expected to be based on a modified version of the Jazz platform.

The patent refers to "an engine being fitted to a centre frame", which means mid-engined and rear-wheel drive. The patent does not outline what type of powerplant would be used, but Honda's current policy rules out a pure combustion engine solution and a hybrid remains the most likely option.

Using a larger petrol engine than the CR-Z's unit - and gearing the electric motor more towards performance than economy - could give the car the sprinting ability to match the S2000's 0-62mph time of 6.0sec, particularly if aluminium is used to reduce the kerb weight.

Mounting the two motors amidships would help to match the weight distribution of the S2000, which, despite having its engine in the front, offered a 50/50 balance. Honda already has the ability to fit a manual transmission alongside a hybrid powertrain, too; the CR-Z uses such a set-up.

Honda's creation is unlikely to appear before 2014, so it will be beaten to market by the next phase of Toyota's sports cars, which includes a small coupe that is due in early 2013.

Known in Japan as "mini-FT-86", the two-door Toyota is based on the rear-drive hot hatchback concept that was shown by GRMN (Gazoo Racing Meister of Nurburgring) at the Tokyo Auto Salon in January. It's unlikely to match the Honda's green credentials, though, because its powerplant is almost certain to be a regular 1.5-litre petrol unit.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...plans-revealed
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Zaku (05-12-2014)