follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #29
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
After 6 weeks of waiting, it finally showed up! I absolutely love having this arm rest installed, I honestly think it should have been there from the factory (or at least a dealer option).
Attached Images

BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
qqzj (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #30
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Looks really nice, congratulations! I debated and debated and finally I figured out that I like this design slightly better. The cup holder on the door is actually tall enough for my tumbler. So this design will offer more functionality than the Scion OEM one, IMHO.

How long did it take you to install this arm rest? I am a little afraid to drill into my car, seriously. Have you had a lot of trouble drilling? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
After 6 weeks of waiting, it finally showed up! I absolutely love having this arm rest installed, I honestly think it should have been there from the factory (or at least a dealer option).
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qqzj For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #31
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Just take your time and follow the instructions carefully, found here-> http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads..._002_827_0.pdf The only thing I did differently was to use the paper template only to mark the 5 alignment pin holes on the hinge side (3 for pins and 2 for screw heads to sit flush into, shown on page 11 of 17). Once those holes were drilled and cleaned out, I used the actual mounting frame to mark the remaining mounting holes. Also, remove the padded top part from the top frame before you start to make life easy on yourself (6 internal hex screws covered by black plastic caps on the underside of the top part). You will definitely need a de-burring tool of some sort (rat tail file, Dremel tool etc.) to clean out the crap from the freshly drilled holes so everything fits perfectly, just don't go crazy and make your holes too big. Took me about an hour or so to do. $200 is pricey but to me it's worth it!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #32
qqzj

I looked at that UK company's website, it is $187-ish for the cover itself and then 21 UK pounds for shipping. If so, why not buy from some JDM sellers in US? Cost about the same and probably less wait.

Quote:
Just take your time and follow the instructions carefully, found here-> http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads..._002_827_0.pdf The only thing I did differently was to use the paper template only to mark the 5 alignment pin holes on the hinge side (3 for pins and 2 for screw heads to sit flush into, shown on page 11 of 17). Once those holes were drilled and cleaned out, I used the actual mounting frame to mark the remaining mounting holes. Also, remove the padded top part from the top frame before you start to make life easy on yourself (6 internal hex screws covered by black plastic caps on the underside of the top part). You will definitely need a de-burring tool of some sort (rat tail file, Dremel tool etc.) to clean out the crap from the freshly drilled holes so everything fits perfectly, just don't go crazy and make your holes too big. Took me about an hour or so to do. $200 is pricey but to me it's worth it!
Old 04-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #33
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
I looked at that UK company's website, it is $187-ish for the cover itself and then 21 UK pounds for shipping. If so, why not buy from some JDM sellers in US? Cost about the same and probably less wait.
The only other place I found it was Nigel-JDMparts and the price was about the same. Had I known it was going to take 6 weeks from CTP........but I think there must have been an issue with customs or something, CTP sent it out pretty quickly.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #34
qqzj

Placed the order 5 minutes ago at

http://www.fteightysix.com/new-produ.../#.U2GQGFfRbxs

slightly more expensive than the UK place. But I just cannot wait any more ...

The seller is great. Do not forget to ask for a coupon here.

Quote:
The only other place I found it was Nigel-JDMparts and the price was about the same. Had I known it was going to take 6 weeks from CTP........but I think there must have been an issue with customs or something, CTP sent it out pretty quickly.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #35
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I just got the $70 amazon one. Love it! Very flexible in it's placement options. Quality is top rate, and it's "relatively" cheap.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #36
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
I see 225, with tax, it is pretty much $250. Should I get the tint done first or this arm rest, or the rear diffuser. Too many good things ...
Front lip + rear diffuser for $200ish
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote