follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 04-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #967
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Great job and thank you for posting your vid and recap!

I'm running the Yokos as well (though 225/45), but I've struggled to get a solid, clean run on them at each event. They're at least equal to the Z2, but I feel like they are not quite as forgiving. That said, they FEEL like the best street tire I've tried, but I just can't tell if they're actually faster than the Z2 (I have not driven on Rivals). On the Yokos, I've spun and coned more times in my first five events this year than I did all of last year. Also, the highest temperature we've seen for any of our events has been 55 degrees with most being 40-45, so a warmer day should help? I have to wait for the DC Pro and NY/NJ Tour to see where I'm at compared to the hotshoes.

Any suggestions for decent lug nuts? I'm putting my ARP wheel studs on next week and will probably need another spare set of lug nuts.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #968
itzmik3
DBC Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Great job and thank you for posting your vid and recap!

I'm running the Yokos as well (though 225/45), but I've struggled to get a solid, clean run on them at each event. They're at least equal to the Z2, but I feel like they are not quite as forgiving. That said, they FEEL like the best street tire I've tried, but I just can't tell if they're actually faster than the Z2 (I have not driven on Rivals). On the Yokos, I've spun and coned more times in my first five events this year than I did all of last year. Also, the highest temperature we've seen for any of our events has been 55 degrees with most being 40-45, so a warmer day should help? I have to wait for the DC Pro and NY/NJ Tour to see where I'm at compared to the hotshoes.

Any suggestions for decent lug nuts? I'm putting my ARP wheel studs on next week and will probably need another spare set of lug nuts.
I am thinking that the Z2 have better cold weather grip compared to the yokohama.
but i personally couldn't give you a definite answer since i have not driven in conditions such as that

http://www.arkdesign-us.com/wheel.htm
we use these lug nuts.
#194 SM
itzmik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #969
TRev

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I had someone come over to my car at a National event a few years ago and ask me not once but at least three times if I had adjusted my waste gate on my Genesis Coupe even though it had the factory paint mark perfectly intact. Not only that but he was also going around to other competitors with the same vehicle and trying to rally the troops so to speak. One of those people happened to be my friend and come over and inform me about it. Not sure why people like that think asking a second or third time is going to change the answer but it certainly was annoying. Not too long later they come over to ask me if they can drive my car because their car was having problems. So either that person decided they needed to know if my car was setup better and lied about the mechanical or they really did have problems in which case they shouldn't have asked me if I was cheating over and over again as they probably would have gotten to drive my car. Magically though they got the issue resolved within a minute or two after me saying no to the co-drive and still got his run in. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to compete against that same person in RTR in the same type of car since then and handily beat him...ironically he didn't come over to go through my car with a fine tooth comb though haha.

On a side note, I have used a few different brands of aluminum lug nuts and my favorite thus far are Buddy Club.

Last edited by TRev; 04-10-2014 at 05:39 PM.
TRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #970
itzmik3
DBC Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage

we are ready for this weekend's protest LOL
#194 SM
itzmik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itzmik3 For This Useful Post:
brz7400 (04-11-2014), Kido1986 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #971
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzmik3 View Post

Yes! Ready for the idiocy Take many pictures of your "OS Giken" differential tear down and rebuild
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #972
mrazny

Drives: BMW 135i, soon to BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzmik3 View Post

take it to the &*#%s!
mrazny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #973
engee

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccabrz192 View Post
I used a craftsman 1/4" drive deep well for the rod, I think its a 10mm? fit the 3/8 max axess with no problem. Do you have the all chrome max axess set or the black set? When I was looking at the two in store side by side the chrome set seemed to maintain a bigger pass through, but I didn't bother to measure.
So I got it to pass through but I still can't seem to tighten. I'm doing something retarded. Haha

2 socket wrenches on a nut. If 18mm/19mm wrench on the nut is set to tighten, what should the smaller 9mm adjustment nut wrench be set on (loosen/tighten)?
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #974
Nm86

Drives: Ultramarine
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Guys I need some help with my setup, I installed koni's and crash bolts about a month ago, I'm running stock rims with rs3 tires. In the event a month ago I loved my setup, car turned and rotated on command. I ran my tire pressure around 30-32 psi. I installed the Strano sway bar this past week, stock end links. First run out I had front koni's 1 turn from soft rear full stiff. Tires all at 31. Push push push. Changed front to full soft, push push push. Then with the recommendation of our local pax winner. Turned rear pressure up and front down, by the end of the day I had the fronts at 28 and rear at 42. Tires are 225 45. It wasn't pushing too bad on my final run, but I may have just been giving it up early. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Last event I finished 9th this one 32nd.
Nm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #975
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nm86 View Post
Guys I need some help with my setup, I installed koni's and crash bolts about a month ago, I'm running stock rims with rs3 tires. In the event a month ago I loved my setup, car turned and rotated on command. I ran my tire pressure around 30-32 psi. I installed the Strano sway bar this past week, stock end links. First run out I had front koni's 1 turn from soft rear full stiff. Tires all at 31. Push push push. Changed front to full soft, push push push. Then with the recommendation of our local pax winner. Turned rear pressure up and front down, by the end of the day I had the fronts at 28 and rear at 42. Tires are 225 45. It wasn't pushing too bad on my final run, but I may have just been giving it up early. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Last event I finished 9th this one 32nd.
I ran the RS3s last year. With just the crash bolts, you need to run the pressures in the front higher. I started with 35 at the beginning of last seasoning and was running them at 42 by the end. The sidewalls on those RS3s are very soft and you end up on the shoulders very easily.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #976
cactus

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
New tires for the weekend. 245/40/17 ZII,

No weight on the tire in this picture.
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:00 AM   #977
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nm86 View Post
A couple things:

1. Unless you're the Stig, your performance will vary from weekend to weekend based on how well you "get" the course, surface and weather conditions, Venus/Jupiter alignment, etc.

2. I feel you've gone the wrong way on pressures. What you're doing is an old FWD trick to get a car to rotate by inflating the rears so much they start losing grip (one that I, as a former FWD owner, never personally believed in, but I digress). Here's a good primer on tire pressures: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets12.html

If I was at 32psi in the front and dealing with push, I'd increase pressure in the front, not decrease it. That's just me, and I'm atypical from most in that I tend to prefer rather high pressures, but dealing with a lack of grip in the front by taking grip away from the rear is rarely the right answer. Given that we have a 55/45 F/R weight distro, 42psi in the rear is going to turn the tire into a torus and reduce grip.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #978
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
New tires for the weekend. 245/40/17 ZII,

No weight on the tire in this picture.
That doesn't look excessively bulged out. Do 245s really work better on the 7" rim than 225s? Andy Hollis did a ton of testing that suggested this wouldn't work, but this was with 15" diameter wheels and higher aspect ratios than we use.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #979
mla163
Overthinking it

Drives: BRZ in CS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm running 33f / 32r on stock shocks, crash bolts and rivals. That's where I'd start with a new tire setup on this car.
mla163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #980
Nm86

Drives: Ultramarine
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
A couple things:

1. Unless you're the Stig, your performance will vary from weekend to weekend based on how well you "get" the course, surface and weather conditions, Venus/Jupiter alignment, etc.

2. I feel you've gone the wrong way on pressures. What you're doing is an old FWD trick to get a car to rotate by inflating the rears so much they start losing grip (one that I, as a former FWD owner, never personally believed in, but I digress). Here's a good primer on tire pressures: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets12.html

If I was at 32psi in the front and dealing with push, I'd increase pressure in the front, not decrease it. That's just me, and I'm atypical from most in that I tend to prefer rather high pressures, but dealing with a lack of grip in the front by taking grip away from the rear is rarely the right answer. Given that we have a 55/45 F/R weight distro, 42psi in the rear is going to turn the tire into a torus and reduce grip.
You are absolutely correct, I used to run a civic hatchback, I always ran the rear higher to make the car rotate. I agree on going too high in the rear and giving up grip. By the end of the day the rear tires felt as if they were skipping on the asphalt. I also know that from one weekend to the next my performance will be different, in this case I really felt I was fighting the car to turn, just totally giving it up coming into every corner. I also could not get the rear to step out at all.
Nm86 is offline   Reply With Quote