follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
JayDee

Drives: 2013 White BRZ / 2014 White GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This initial service is really confusing, as this is my first Brand new car. I have my oil changed every 5000km on my other car since its got a ECU tune. Im guess after a tune on the BRZ, I'm looking at more frequent oil changes too? say every 8000km?
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #16
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
This initial service is really confusing, as this is my first Brand new car. I have my oil changed every 5000km on my other car since its got a ECU tune. Im guess after a tune on the BRZ, I'm looking at more frequent oil changes too? say every 8000km?
That depends on why you're tuning it. Unlike turbo cars a lot of us came from, you won't pick up any power from just a tune.

There are really only 3 reasons to change before 7500 mi:
1. If you're building your engine (internals and/or forced induction)
2. If you track your car frequently
3. If you don't do a lot of driving

And no, your catback, intake, and coilovers do NOT count as building your engine :P
xxBrun0xx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxBrun0xx For This Useful Post:
JayDee (03-09-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
new engines should change oil @ 1000 k or 600 mil
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #18
mystic

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP CWP
I just had a bad first service experience. I took my car in this past weekend with 5600 miles on the ODO. (wanted to have it done earlier but didn't have time until now) Thanks to you guys on the forums, I heard to avoid the complimentary 'car wash' they give you. I went in, got off on the wrong foot immediately with the guy because he said I had to bring it in at 7500. We went back and forth for 10 minutes before he took me to his Manager. I then had to make my case to this guy. Finally, after 20 minutes of haggling, they approved my oil change. Although they did not mention it, I generously declined their complementary car wash. After waiting nearly an hour and a half (should not take that long) as I scheduled for the earliest appt. that day, one of the techs said my car is ready. He said to wait here and he'll bring my car out. A minute later he came running back and said "oh sorry, it's in the car wash right now" and my face just kind of dropped. I began to accept it at that point. 5 minutes later, my car was pulled up front still wet. Apparently all they do is splash some water on it, eh? They don't even dry it down or anything. What frustrated me the most is that my door panels, seats and carpets were dripping wet. I basically went home and scrubbed my car front to back even though I had washed her less than 3 days ago. I didn't call the dealer to complain or anything. Besides headache, I don't know what good that'll do for me. I even stated it twice to make sure that they heard me about not wanting my car washed.
mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
ApolloSki
Stealth

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic View Post
I just had a bad first service experience. I took my car in this past weekend with 5600 miles on the ODO. (wanted to have it done earlier but didn't have time until now) Thanks to you guys on the forums, I heard to avoid the complimentary 'car wash' they give you. I went in, got off on the wrong foot immediately with the guy because he said I had to bring it in at 7500. We went back and forth for 10 minutes before he took me to his Manager. I then had to make my case to this guy. Finally, after 20 minutes of haggling, they approved my oil change. Although they did not mention it, I generously declined their complementary car wash. After waiting nearly an hour and a half (should not take that long) as I scheduled for the earliest appt. that day, one of the techs said my car is ready. He said to wait here and he'll bring my car out. A minute later he came running back and said "oh sorry, it's in the car wash right now" and my face just kind of dropped. I began to accept it at that point. 5 minutes later, my car was pulled up front still wet. Apparently all they do is splash some water on it, eh? They don't even dry it down or anything. What frustrated me the most is that my door panels, seats and carpets were dripping wet. I basically went home and scrubbed my car front to back even though I had washed her less than 3 days ago. I didn't call the dealer to complain or anything. Besides headache, I don't know what good that'll do for me. I even stated it twice to make sure that they heard me about not wanting my car washed.
Which dealer did you go to?
ApolloSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #20
mystic

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloSki View Post
Which dealer did you go to?
Hollywood Toyota / Scion

Last edited by mystic; 03-31-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Quote was below reply.
mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #21
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanabie View Post
QFT, I went in for tails replacement. They washed my car without asking! DA FUG! I checked and got swirls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
Might want to tell them not to wash your car. I got mine back with swirls.
If I have to bring the car to dealer, I make sure it has a fresh wash and is spotless. Don't forget the tire shine so they know it was just cleaned.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 PM   #22
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
If I have to bring the car to dealer, I make sure it has a fresh wash and is spotless. Don't forget the tire shine so they know it was just cleaned.
You know, I did the exact same thing. I took my car when it was spotless and the idiots still washed it and made it worse. Lol
Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #23
TCHawk

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
You know, I did the exact same thing. I took my car when it was spotless and the idiots still washed it and made it worse. Lol
Same thing happened to me. The guy even commented to me that it was too nice to go through the wash yet magically it still did. They also tightened my oil plug way too tight and bent it. Oil filter was also on way too tight to even get off. Had to do stab it with a screw driver and twist it off. This was all my first services. I'm sort of leery to do the next.
TCHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TCHawk For This Useful Post:
ericmpena (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #24
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHawk View Post
Same thing happened to me. The guy even commented to me that it was too nice to go through the wash yet magically it still did. They also tightened my oil plug way too tight and bent it. Oil filter was also on way too tight to even get off. Had to do stab it with a screw driver and twist it off. This was all my first services. I'm sort of leery to do the next.

Yeah man, the dealerships suck. Just got my car back yesterday after some work and they were like, "we got it all washed up and cleaned for you!"
Nothing but spots on every window, mud on the floors, debris in the seats, and dirt on the handles. Guess the mechanics didn't think to wash their hands or clean up their mess after they finished working on my car.
Not only that, but I was told that if I didn't bring my loaner car back with a full tank I would be charged $5/gallon for them to fill it up. However, I took my car in with a FULL tank, and got it back with 3/4. Also, I'm curious why I have nearly 60 miles added to my odometer even though they didn't need to drive my car to diagnose any issue.
Figured it wasn't worth arguing about...as I was just happy to finally have my car back after 3 weeks.
Oh yeah, and the sales rep who sold me my BRZ was like, "Hey, what's up with your car? It hasn't moved in days and is just sitting back there." Funny to hear that since the dealership had barely called me that morning saying it was ready.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #25
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHawk View Post

how could you even contemplate going back if all that happened?
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
break-in, brz, dealership, oil change, service