follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #3949
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
my current 4-1 eliminated the dip and provided gains from 6k and up but the fitment is shit. I was hoping for similar results except with the top end gains coming a little sooner in the rpm range.

Your point is taken. Most of what I had read indicated that with a 4-2-1 design you could optimize the length and diameter of the 3 stages to get 3 harmonics to build the power across a broader rpm range than you could with a 4-1 design.

I would like to see a shoot out between the new revision JDL 4-1 and the Nameless, with an unbiased tuner.

I'm not giving up on this header yet, like i said, i think the stock midpipe was likely squeezing the gains from 5k and up. But i am also going to hold off a bit on the install since the value will drop the second the flanges touch the block
This is too bad, because I think a lot of people would be looking forward and put a lot trust into your tuning and dyno results. Nobody's made of money, though...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
FrsDuke (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #3950
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Once i finish washing the sand out of my vagina i will probably man up and install it next week lol.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #3951
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Once i finish washing the sand out of my vagina i will probably man up and install it next week lol.
Bwahaha. Seriously I think that dyno sheet is a worst case snapshot. It's narrow making it look much less gradual than those that have a wider aspect. It is clearly a pretty harsh dyno as well which is fine. The tuner used cam phasing built based on his stock header settings which may or may not have been the ideal starting point. Hard to say if he missed a chance up top by trying a 5 degree shift and seeing a lose while a 10 degree would have given a gain. Who knows. By all means wait for another dyno to hit the streets and see if there is enough variance to peak your interest again.

John got a little more up top but had that hiccup down in the valley which isn't on this latest graph. That alone is encouraging and shows not everyone will land on the same results this early in the game.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #3952
Alabang 86

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
finally shipped but it will take a while to get to me in Manila.

Will surely tune /dyno and post. Currently have the innovate sc and nameless 3" header + axle back - to quad tips . . .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #3953
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrsDuke View Post
Bwahaha. Seriously I think that dyno sheet is a worst case snapshot. It's narrow making it look much less gradual than those that have a wider aspect. It is clearly a pretty harsh dyno as well which is fine. The tuner used cam phasing built based on his stock header settings which may or may not have been the ideal starting point. Hard to say if he missed a chance up top by trying a 5 degree shift and seeing a lose while a 10 degree would have given a gain. Who knows. By all means wait for another dyno to hit the streets and see if there is enough variance to peak your interest again.

John got a little more up top but had that hiccup down in the valley which isn't on this latest graph. That alone is encouraging and shows not everyone will land on the same results this early in the game.
I learned to tune on an uncorrected dyno dynamics that read just like that one, i know those numbers all too well
Old 03-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #3954
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
I learned to tune on an uncorrected dyno dynamics that read just like that one, i know those numbers all too well
Word, just saying (as you're very familiar with) charts can be deceiving comparatively.
Looking at that chart you and I know the car will feel weaker up top than stock because butt dynos are dumbasses. Intellectually we know from area under the curve that actual acceleration and drivability will be much improved however. It's a tricky business.

I'm anxious to see charts from other tuners. Would be nice to see some power block results too. The two combined could be wicked but would feel like it laid down up top. Then it is blower time lol.

If and when you play around with it I'd love to see comparisons to your header. Hell I'd like to see a plot from your car as it is now regardless if ya wanna pm a plot to keep this thread uncluttered.

-Duke
Old 03-23-2014, 12:05 AM   #3955
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have no surface temp readings but after a day of autocrossing the TRD intake box gets really hot despite being coated (but not BURNING hot). Gold is needed regardless if you live in the south.

I dont know what is going on but I am still leaking on the passenger flange side. Tried grimspeed gaskets and then replaced them with New OEM gaskets as well as cleaned the port areas. Torqued everything down to spec, leaked.

Torqued to 60lbs evenly, leaked

Torqued to 70lbs, leaked

Torqued to 75lbs, leak reduced.

Has anyone torqued passed these numbers?

The power band feels wonky but highway pulls in 6th and 5th gear are badass and autocrossing feels jut the same, pure power available mid range.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #3956
LPC_FRS

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How loud is it? sounds clips? raspy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargy View Post
I have no surface temp readings but after a day of autocrossing the TRD intake box gets really hot despite being coated (but not BURNING hot). Gold is needed regardless if you live in the south.

I dont know what is going on but I am still leaking on the passenger flange side. Tried grimspeed gaskets and then replaced them with New OEM gaskets as well as cleaned the port areas. Torqued everything down to spec, leaked.

Torqued to 60lbs evenly, leaked

Torqued to 70lbs, leaked

Torqued to 75lbs, leak reduced.

Has anyone torqued passed these numbers?

The power band feels wonky but highway pulls in 6th and 5th gear are badass and autocrossing feels jut the same, pure power available mid range.
LPC_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #3957
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Nameless header, motiv overpipe, motve test pipe with cutout, stock midpipe, TRD japan quads

I guess this muffler can handle the extra noise in comparison to the Greddy SP elite
After a whole day of driving crazy I had no comments and I did not notice any rasp at all, my Girlfriend was asleep on the way home, it just sounds louder overall without being crazy,
No drone, no rasp, im happy with that.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:14 AM   #3958
FrsDuke
Fanboy

That's a ton of torquing on an aluminum head. I was scared when I did 35

-Duke
Old 03-23-2014, 12:16 AM   #3959
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrsDuke View Post
That's a ton of torquing on an aluminum head. I was scared when I did 35
Yep...its a lot.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #3960
Deathreaper

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
what torque wrenches are you guys using? I have a pretty long 1/2 inch and I'm not sure it would fit.
Deathreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #3961
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPC_FRS View Post
How loud is it? sounds clips? raspy?
The header is (in my opinion) quieter than stock at cruise and idle. When you romp on it it gets louder, but nothing intolerable. This was with everything else stock and also with track pipe. I ran track pipe with otherwise stock setup and I ran header with everything else stock. Put the track pipe back on because I couldn't hear the exhaust any more with the stock axle back. Less drone and maybe a little rasp but in a good way.

-Duke
Old 03-23-2014, 12:20 AM   #3962
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathreaper View Post
what torque wrenches are you guys using? I have a pretty long 1/2 inch and I'm not sure it would fit.
A really long electric snap on torque wrench (its red!) 1/2 inch

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag