follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
buzznasa
LOL PWR

Drives: Whiteout FR-S; Scion tC
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
I finally heard this setup in person, and I don't believe I can truly impress upon a reader how massive the difference is with Buzz's speaker without swearing, so let me apologize in advance.

Holy fuckin' shit, that thing is fuckin' amazing! The difference is downright staggering. Had I to guess, as a layman, I'd expect he'd put in several thousand to a dedicated professional to make his car sound that awesome. Seriously it's wood inducing. For less than 2 Franklin's he literally revolutionized the sound out of the stock system. Fuckin' brilliant.
*blush*

And @MObrz5, my apologies, I didn't see your post because I thought that this thread died a while back. I don't have my full toolset anymore but I don't see why I can't lend a hand. It would take a full day to do it well (probably even faster with two sets of hands working on it).

It's not a midlife crisis if you never grow up.
buzznasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #16
sirisvirus

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Very nice write up. I was thinking of playing with the sound system just haven't got around to it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #17
k.houan

Drives: BRZZZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Nice setup. Im going to do something very similar. What would I need to do to achieve this on my BRZ? I dont have RCA inputs on my head unit, any suggestions?

Also, any problems folding the rear seats with the sub strapped in?
k.houan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:38 AM   #18
Moe

Drives: Lexus IS250, Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.houan View Post
Nice setup. Im going to do something very similar. What would I need to do to achieve this on my BRZ? I dont have RCA inputs on my head unit, any suggestions?
If you're going to add a separate amp, some amps have both speaker and RCA inputs. Hence, you can tap into your existing speaker wires directly if your head unit does not have RCA's.
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #19
k.houan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
If you're going to add a separate amp, some amps have both speaker and RCA inputs. Hence, you can tap into your existing speaker wires directly if your head unit does not have RCA's.
So can I would tap into the wires coming off of the stock amp that's located in the trunk?

I'm was planning on buying the exact same sub/amp combo as the OP. Just need a simple way to get RCAs since I don't have them on my brz.

Suggestions on an actual product? I was quoted 45 for a high to low converter from my local stereo shop. Don't know the exact brand or model, but either way I'd like to do the whole install myself.

I'm basically asking for a link because I don't have much knowledge with stereos lol

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #20
buzznasa
LOL PWR

Drives: Whiteout FR-S; Scion tC
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.houan View Post

Also, any problems folding the rear seats with the sub strapped in?
Have you looked at the outputs of your head unit? I would be very surprised if it didn't already have pre-outs for at least the sub-woofer. As @Moe suggested, some amps do have line level inputs. I personally don't like these and actually had a problem trying to use them. Many times, line level inputs use a common ground for the speakers and then just two separate inputs for line level. The problem is that our head units use dedicated grounds for each speaker and when I tried using the line level the head unit thought it was shorting out through the speakers and stopped sending the signal (radio stopped playing). I ran line level converters in my Lexus and it sounded fine but I didn't have such finite control over the overall sound and I do with my current set-up.

As for having the seats folded down, I don't do it with the speaker in. The seat just allows for more surface area for the speaker to rest against and help capture it to keep it from moving around.

It does take a little time to do it right but in the end the sound is phenomenal.

It's not a midlife crisis if you never grow up.
buzznasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 AM   #21
k.houan

Garage
Yes, I have. It's been confirmed that the Fujitsu ten unit in the brz does not have rcas. I'd really like to know if there is a simple solution that will produce decent sound quality.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk