follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
fstlane

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here's my review after 6 weeks of mixed street and autocross use.

Installation: I installed the pads without any antisqueak shims or grease on my existing factory rotors. I drove around with them for about a week to scrape off any old pad material and to wear the pad into the rotor surface a bit. As expected, the pads were fairly noisy at this point.

Bed-in: I've never bed-in brakes before but I think I got enough heat in them to get a decent transfer layer based on pictures I've seen.

Noise: After the bed-in procedure they were very quiet for about a month. They just started to lightly squeal under 5mph while coming to a complete stop. Nothing annoying by any means but I went ahead and lightly bedded the pads again and they're back to being completely quiet.

Dust: They are dusty but I have bronze wheels and wash my car every other week so it really doesn't bother me.

Autocross: The HC+800 pads seem to have a lot more bite that the factory pads. I actually found myself overbraking a little because I've been used to the stock units. I need to adjust my driving to compensate for the additional bite.

Track: I will be attending my 1st track event in May and have no doubt the pads will be more than adequate for my experience level.

Price: These pads seem like a tremendous value and my experience ordering them through CSG was top notch!

Last edited by fstlane; 02-11-2014 at 01:36 PM.
fstlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fstlane For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-11-2014), hmong337 (02-11-2014), sprintamx (02-12-2014), unsurety (06-08-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
sprintamx

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the details fstlane.

Based on the reported experiences so far, and some . . . errr . . . "counseling" from CSG Mike, I will probably move to a higher capability race-oriented compound.

It's great to have choices!
sprintamx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprintamx For This Useful Post:
fstlane (02-12-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #17
GTHachiRoku
Big in Japan

Drives: turBRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I threw a set of these on over the long weekend. My impressions are pretty much the same as everyone else's. Great pads at a great price. Thanks @CSG Mike

Significantly more bite than the stock pads. I will need to get a better feel for braking with this increased efficiency.

Minimal noise, only when coming to complete stop at low speeds. I hope to get these properly bedded today or tomorrow.

As for dust, the stock wheels look better all black anyway am I right?

I'm really look forward to seeing how they hold up at AMP March 14th.
GTHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-18-2014), sprintamx (02-19-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
fstlane

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstlane View Post
Here's my review after 6 weeks of mixed street and autocross use.

Installation: I installed the pads without any antisqueak shims or grease on my existing factory rotors. I drove around with them for about a week to scrape off any old pad material and to wear the pad into the rotor surface a bit. As expected, the pads were fairly noisy at this point.

Bed-in: I've never bed-in brakes before but I think I got enough heat in them to get a decent transfer layer based on pictures I've seen.

Noise: After the bed-in procedure they were very quiet for about a month. They just started to lightly squeal under 5mph while coming to a complete stop. Nothing annoying by any means but I went ahead and lightly bedded the pads again and they're back to being completely quiet.

Dust: They are dusty but I have bronze wheels and wash my car every other week so it really doesn't bother me.

Autocross: The HC+800 pads seem to have a lot more bite that the factory pads. I actually found myself overbraking a little because I've been used to the stock units. I need to adjust my driving to compensate for the additional bite.

Track: I will be attending my 1st track event in May and have no doubt the pads will be more than adequate for my experience level.

Price: These pads seem like a tremendous value and my experience ordering them through CSG was top notch!
Update
After about 6 months of daily driving, autocross and a track day, the pads are holding up great. I've noticed the only time they squeak is after a couple of weeks of dust build up. Rinsing off the calipers when washing the car cleans the dust out and quiets them up again. They still have 7mm of pad remaining even after abusing them during four 20 minute sessions in 100+ degree temperatures. They did fade a bit around 3/4 through the 20 minute sessions but I never felt as though they went off enough where my braking ability was compromised. Overall I'm still satisfied with the HC+800 pads!

fstlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fstlane For This Useful Post:
unsurety (06-09-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #19
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,183 Times in 6,838 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
That last pic is showing that you faded the pads pretty good!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
fstlane (06-07-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #20
AyJay

Drives: 22 GR86, 13 FR-S, AP2 S2000
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Experienced track drivers will have no issue fading these pads out after a handful of laps. I will give them kudos for never going completely away tho. I don't like the soft pedal feel after they are really hot. I probably won't be using these for track days any longer unless I absolutely have to.

I have taken a liking to these pads for autoX use. They get into their effective temp range quickly w/o requiring a hard stop or 2 to put heat in them.

In daily conditions they are livable. They dust like a mofo and I haven't been able to get rid of the faint squeal once you get half way into the pad. I've read on this forum they require re-bedding but I haven't found that to make any difference. The squeal isn't nearly as loud as a full on track pad but it's not quiet like a street pad should be either.
AyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #21
TIsbell34

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Could these be used in front with a set of HP+ in rear? Or are the CoFs too different? Also does anyone know if these are more fade resistant than HP+ pads?
TIsbell34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #22
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIsbell34 View Post
Could these be used in front with a set of HP+ in rear? Or are the CoFs too different? Also does anyone know if these are more fade resistant than HP+ pads?
Different friction coefficient. Some people like less bite in the rear so it's a safer setup, but ultimately you'll be working the fronts harder to get the same level of deceleration characteristics. Non-staggered brake pad setups are the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyJay View Post
Experienced track drivers will have no issue fading these pads out after a handful of laps. I will give them kudos for never going completely away tho. I don't like the soft pedal feel after they are really hot. I probably won't be using these for track days any longer unless I absolutely have to.

I have taken a liking to these pads for autoX use. They get into their effective temp range quickly w/o requiring a hard stop or 2 to put heat in them.

In daily conditions they are livable. They dust like a mofo and I haven't been able to get rid of the faint squeal once you get half way into the pad. I've read on this forum they require re-bedding but I haven't found that to make any difference. The squeal isn't nearly as loud as a full on track pad but it's not quiet like a street pad should be either.
Soft pedal is brake fluid boiling.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
TIsbell34 (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #23
AyJay

Drives: 22 GR86, 13 FR-S, AP2 S2000
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Different friction coefficient. Some people like less bite in the rear so it's a safer setup, but ultimately you'll be working the fronts harder to get the same level of deceleration characteristics. Non-staggered brake pad setups are the way to go!

Soft pedal is brake fluid boiling.
And then when I flush/replace the fluid and still don't like the pedal feel what will it be then?
AyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #24
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyJay View Post
And then when I flush/replace the fluid and still don't like the pedal feel what will it be then?
An air bubble trapped in the system.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote