follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
gdrider77

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
EBCS vs MBC

Still trying to figure out pros/cons of EBCS vs MBC. I like the i can easily change the boost level of a mbc. i really like that i can have a tune control the ebcs, but what concerns me with that is if i want the boost adjusted, it requires a full reflash and an updated file from a tuner.

Seems like the ebcs option would allow an overboost safety as well. Although i have read that you can have overboost protection built into a tune regardless, how is that accomplished? Is it a fuel cut, etc?

Whats the stance on the ebcs being faster and more responsive than a mbc, does that even hold water still?

Currently have both a Grimmspeed mbc and ebcs and trying to really understand best options.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #2
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
EBC can fully cut off the boost pressure to the wastegate, meaning you'll build boost faster compared to a MBC that is a spring that moves under pressure gradually causing the wastegate to gradually open up (this is why EBC's have to be "tuned" so they don't overshoot). There are separate EBC's out there that don't have to be hooked to the ECU (much like how a MBC is separate) and wouldn't need a reflash...

Overboost protection is fuel cut, yes. It essentially shuts down the motor so it doesn't pop from an overboost.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrider77 View Post
Still trying to figure out pros/cons of EBCS vs MBC. I like the i can easily change the boost level of a mbc. i really like that i can have a tune control the ebcs, but what concerns me with that is if i want the boost adjusted, it requires a full reflash and an updated file from a tuner.

Seems like the ebcs option would allow an overboost safety as well. Although i have read that you can have overboost protection built into a tune regardless, how is that accomplished? Is it a fuel cut, etc?

Whats the stance on the ebcs being faster and more responsive than a mbc, does that even hold water still?

Currently have both a Grimmspeed mbc and ebcs and trying to really understand best options.
ONLY look for an EBCS EBC if the tuner can tune it perfectly or if you can get an EBC and are able to understand how to calibrated it and do so properly. If not its not worth it.

Also remember that with a stand alone EBC you an change it yourself.

About the EBCS and changing boost, you can tell your tuner to set you with 4 maps each with a different boost target.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
lbroskee (02-05-2014), lexusb3 (02-02-2014), mad_sb (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I had better luck in the past with a EBCS than with a MBC, since it's a closed loop system and can adjust for temperature differences and you can make fine tuned adjustments much easier. It also can provide overboost protection. As far as building boost faster I never noticed much of a difference.

I still have my 9 year old HKS EVC from my WRX and plan on using it on my BRZ if I ever go turbo.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
my profec b II was awesome. soooo much better than a mbc the boost is faster its like chip tuning vs. standalone
charged86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I went with a eBoost2 on my car, not running yet so can't comment to much but I like it because I can change the levels I want to have a high and low setting. As longn as the car is tuned for the higher then toggling should be fine. The electronic allows you to play with things like gate pressure and duty cycle. Not that those will make a huge difference on the low boosts most people run.

The entire user manual is downloadable on TurboSmarts website to see all the features.

I also think the differences come down to the user. Will you be playing and tweaking this yourself or will you have your tuner set it once and never touch it again.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
lexusb3
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i got a 4port EBC map1 wastegate , map2 high boost, map3 KILL MODE, map 4 SUPERKILL
lexusb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
My Answer is it depends... Getting a high end EBC dialed in can be a major pain due to all the variables.... and HKS EVC-VI and up would be a good example. The simpler EBC's seem to do very well, my favorite is the good old Greddy profec B spec II (assuming it is a real one and not some saw tooth boost curving pos china forgery junk). Most EBC's allow you to drive the mode switch (between low and high boost) with an external trigger. And allow you to set an overboost function that will drop you to spring pressure if you overshoot your boost target.

These days, using a good quality 3 port electronic boost control solenoid driven by the stock ecu gives you the ability to switch boost target maps and use error correction etc right along with the stock ecu and is probably the best of all worlds, if your rom allows the level of control you need and your tuner knows how to dial it in correctly.

Main thing is that the tuner knows how to tune ecu boost control, or whatever method you choose to go with.

If I were doing stand alone EBC i would try to find the old school Apexi AVC-R EBC because, despite the 1980's display unit, the ease of setup and the number of options (gear based boost control) make it a no brainer for me. If that was not available i would go with the Profec B spec II. Last on my list would be the EVC-VI (had one and hatted it, very pretty but never could get it dialed in the way i wanted it.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
maxjedi
The Cloudmaker

Drives: GT86, G37S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusb3 View Post
i got a 4port EBC map1 wastegate , map2 high boost, map3 KILL MODE, map 4 SUPERKILL
this must be some cheap ebay EBC, the real ones also have map 5 MEGAKILL and map 6 ULTRAKILL

... my build thread: maxjedi's turbo "daily drifter" GT86 ...
maxjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maxjedi For This Useful Post:
lexusb3 (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
lexusb3
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjedi View Post
this must be some cheap ebay EBC, the real ones also have map 5 MEGAKILL and map 6 ULTRAKILL
well after all the ppl who wish death on my car i have a map for HIGH BOOST I dont know if it even has a LIMIT lol ITs for the day when I have my build and want to blow it for fun! = SUPER KILL MODE lol
lexusb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusb3 View Post
..ITs for the day when I have my build and want to blow it for fun! = SUPER KILL MODE lol
When i lived in the south we called that letereat mode lol

Last edited by mad_sb; 02-02-2014 at 04:53 PM.
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mad_sb For This Useful Post:
lexusb3 (02-03-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
gdrider77

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
It's sad to see the bigger thing people recommend with the ebcs on ecu is that my tuner knows it well. That was what I was hoping to avoid.

My tuner sold me the thing and charged extra to tune with it, then said he couldn't figure it out and put in a mbc. Ugh. And didn't refund the money on the ebcs or "tune".

At some point I am really going to just have it out with that guy.

I like the idea of the ebcs with ecu , but seems I really have to have a good tuner with a good relationship. Because any change will require my tuner. I have no issue with paying for work, but hate paying for nothing.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
zuldajin

Drives: K24 Swapped FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrider77 View Post
It's sad to see the bigger thing people recommend with the ebcs on ecu is that my tuner knows it well. That was what I was hoping to avoid.

My tuner sold me the thing and charged extra to tune with it, then said he couldn't figure it out and put in a mbc. Ugh. And didn't refund the money on the ebcs or "tune".

At some point I am really going to just have it out with that guy.

I like the idea of the ebcs with ecu , but seems I really have to have a good tuner with a good relationship. Because any change will require my tuner. I have no issue with paying for work, but hate paying for nothing.
Mind sharing with us who the tuner in question is?
zuldajin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuldajin View Post
Mind sharing with us who the tuner in question is?
I don't think he has ever shared that information with the forum, but it is within a couple hour drive from Denver, CO if I remember correctly.