follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have chirping (cricket) noise during idle once the car is warmed up?
Yes (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 3,100 85.21%
No (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 538 14.79%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2014, 04:33 AM   #3543
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Took my car into the dealer today, they said they finally have a fix for the chirp. We'll see. This is my second one.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
dave77 (01-03-2014), Mr.EvoMR (01-04-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #3544
dave77
Big Member

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
TLDR (163 pages): What's the consensus on the chirp? I honestly didn't notice it until I read about it on this forum. I just figured it as a normal noise for a 4 cylinder engine. But also that I now KNOW, it is more annoying when I'm idling (psychologically).
dave77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:16 AM   #3545
dave77
Big Member

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Let us know what they say to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Took my car into the dealer today, they said they finally have a fix for the chirp. We'll see. This is my second one.
dave77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #3546
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave77 View Post
Let us know what they say to fix it.
Wonder if its the insulation they did to my fuel pump. So far, mine is fine and the chirps are muffled completely.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #3547
5AD86D

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Wonder if its the insulation they did to my fuel pump. So far, mine is fine and the chirps are muffled completely.
What exactly did they do to your pump other than install a new one?
5AD86D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #3548
Freude am Fahren

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited/'14 Yamaha R6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had intermittent chirps for a while on and off. THey usually weren't that loud, other than a few occasions. I'm at about 13k miles now and they are constant and LOUD. I wonder if it's the gas down here in Miami I've been using. I generally fill up at the same stations wherever I am living, but I've used three different brands now down here (BP, Chevron, and Shell V-Power) and no difference.

-XXR 527 18x8.75 +35
-Nameless 2.5" OP/FP Combo (Coming soon) & Axleback
-SBD 500X (Waiting on coating to install)
-Southbend SBD500X Clutch
Freude am Fahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #3549
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5AD86D View Post
What exactly did they do to your pump other than install a new one?
They took a foam like insulation and wrapped it around the outside of the piping of the HPFP. When I first got mine replaced, it was quiet, then once I hit 250 miles, it started chirping like crazy, regardless of temperature and gas.

They put on the insulation a few weeks ago and I've driven a full tank of gas and half a tank on a new one with no crickets. It's the same chirping fuel pump which is from the Oct. 17th TSB, the latest one. Now with the foam insulation on the outside, the sound is completely muffled. I've even tried to just listen for a slight hint of the sound expecting like a light muffled cricket sound, but I'm not even getting that now. Things are still looking great so far with the outside foam insulation on the pump. Could almost make a DIY for this and everyone could fix it themselves for a few bucks at Home Depot/Lowes, lol.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
infinite012 (01-03-2014), Mr.EvoMR (01-04-2014), strat61caster (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #3550
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
They took a foam like insulation and wrapped it around the outside of the piping of the HPFP. When I first got mine replaced, it was quiet, then once I hit 250 miles, it started chirping like crazy, regardless of temperature and gas.

They put on the insulation a few weeks ago and I've driven a full tank of gas and half a tank on a new one with no crickets. It's the same chirping fuel pump which is from the Oct. 17th TSB, the latest one. Now with the foam insulation on the outside, the sound is completely muffled. I've even tried to just listen for a slight hint of the sound expecting like a light muffled cricket sound, but I'm not even getting that now. Things are still looking great so far with the outside foam insulation on the pump. Could almost make a DIY for this and everyone could fix it themselves for a few bucks at Home Depot/Lowes, lol.
If you could get more information about the insulation from the dealership, like brand/material, this could definitely become a DIY. I'm hesitant to call my dealership back up to tell them the newest pump is louder than all the previous pumps and them telling me to pound sand...
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #3551
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
If you could get more information about the insulation from the dealership, like brand/material, this could definitely become a DIY. I'm hesitant to call my dealership back up to tell them the newest pump is louder than all the previous pumps and them telling me to pound sand...
I'll try to get that info if I can. I have to follow up with them in a month or so with my results.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #3552
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazzy View Post
Then we have been blessed with remarkable pumps that do not cricket. I guess we will see how long I do not have crickets until I have to fill up with gas I usually do not. 93 is hard to come by in Nebraska.
You misunderstand, mine cricketed as loudly as the rest for the first five thousand miles, tapered to nothing over the next five thousand and have since been quiet enough that I do not notice them unless I try to hear them, which at this point the remaining noises are probably in my head as nobody else can hear them.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #3553
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Quote:

So, I've got the newest pump. As of today, the crickets are back in force. Just as loud as they've ever been. So, sadly this new 'design' or insulation does not help what-so-ever. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Granted, this pump took the longest of mine to begin consistent cricket. But, its still a fail. Pretty sure my dealer hates me, but I didn't spend this cash to get a squeaky car.

Sigh....
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #3554
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
So, I've got the newest pump. As of today, the crickets are back in force. Just as loud as they've ever been. So, sadly this new 'design' or insulation does not help what-so-ever. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Granted, this pump took the longest of mine to begin consistent cricket. But, its still a fail. Pretty sure my dealer hates me, but I didn't spend this cash to get a squeaky car.

Sigh....
I'm talking about insulation on the exterior of the pump, not the revision they did to the pump itself. I have a separate insulation that was done aside from the TSB that fixed the chirp so far.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #3555
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
I'm talking about insulation on the exterior of the pump, not the revision they did to the pump itself. I have a separate insulation that was done aside from the TSB that fixed the chirp so far.
I'm talking the same thing. I'm on I think my 5th HPFP. I refuse to deal with the chirping, lol. My last 3rd revision fuel pump had normal insulation. My current 3rd revision fuel pump they did EXTRA insulation at the dealer. And its back...

I'm scheduled to get ANOTHER fuel pump, and someone from Subaru corporate is supposed to call me and possibly "inspect my vehicle." Yeah... whatever. Design something that doesnt f'ing squeak. Hyundai did it... Subaru/Toyota can too...
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #3556
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
I'm talking the same thing. I'm on I think my 5th HPFP. I refuse to deal with the chirping, lol. My last 3rd revision fuel pump had normal insulation. My current 3rd revision fuel pump they did EXTRA insulation at the dealer. And its back...

I'm scheduled to get ANOTHER fuel pump, and someone from Subaru corporate is supposed to call me and possibly "inspect my vehicle." Yeah... whatever. Design something that doesnt f'ing squeak. Hyundai did it... Subaru/Toyota can too...
Yeah, very true. I would think engineers know how to fix something like this with all their "dynamic" thinking they do. Isn't that why they get paid a lot?

Oh, and when they inspect it, they'll try to blame it on something aftermarket. I laughed when they told me my aftermarket tune is heating up the fuel pump causing the chirp. I told them, lets go test drive a 2014 FR-S, right now, and I will get it to chirp, bone stock.