follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best springs+spacers for stock wheels?

I currently have 215/45/17 Michelin PSS on the stocks. I'm looking to get some springs based on the following requirements, in order of priority:

1. I want to get rid of the wheel gap, but I'm not planning on getting new wheels anytime soon. I don't want too much drop and scrape everywhere.

2. No need for expensive coilover setup. I'm not planning to track the car, maybe just once every 2 or 3 months.

3. The car is my daily driver, so comfort is also a factor.

4. I also want to make the wheels poke out a bit with spacers, but this isn't as important as the above points if it will add some stress to the suspension system.

Which springs and spacers would be the best for my requirement? And what supporting mods do I need (camber bolts, etc)?

PS: I'm new to suspension tuning.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Any of the 1" drop springs will do. I'd recommend the Swift FR-S spec lowering springs and a set of SPC camber bolts up front. Any CNC'ed hubcentric spacers 5mm or less will not required new studs. Not sure if you will get the "poke" you want but any more than 5mm spacers will require longer studs.

I'm running Swift BRZ spec springs, 2 sets of SPC camber bolts for approx. -2.6* of camber out front. And an ebay set of CNC 5mm hubcentric spacers for my RPF1 +45 with 245 wide tires. Only added spacers for clearance, not "poke".

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
cslntuee (10-03-2013), retrosmiths (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
RCE Yellows.

/thread

But seriously, I made a thread about spacers on these springs awhile ago. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31339

Hope that helps.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-04-2013), retrosmiths (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
I currently have 215/45/17 Michelin PSS on the stocks. I'm looking to get some springs based on the following requirements, in order of priority:

1. I want to get rid of the wheel gap, but I'm not planning on getting new wheels anytime soon. I don't want too much drop and scrape everywhere.

2. No need for expensive coilover setup. I'm not planning to track the car, maybe just once every 2 or 3 months.

4. I also want to make the wheels poke out a bit with spacers, but this isn't as important as the above points if it will add some stress to the suspension system.

Which springs and spacers would be the best for my requirement? And what supporting mods do I need (camber bolts, etc)?

Hardly the end of the thread. A few other setups at this link
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...04#post1147904

Here's my setup on Springs and Spacers (posted a few months back (drop is now 1.25" all the way around). Stock wheels and tires. More pics? PM me.

I bought the b2autodesigns BRZ spacer/adapter kit for my FRS. The spacers are hubcentric and B2 is a vendor on the board. They shipped FAST. Got spacers from FL to CA in 2 days. I was very happy with the purchase.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ghlight=b2auto

Then I dropped it on RS-R SuperDowns yesterday, it looks OEM+++ and I'm quite happy. Car is being detailed today, but here is a pic I snapped late last night.

Specs:
20mm front
25mm rear
-1" front
-1.125' rear (as of this morning)

DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
retrosmiths (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
retrosmiths

If I choose to add the spacers later after the springs have settled, will I get "camber" from those and then have to realign again? Should I just install both at the same time?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
retrosmiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin View Post
My BRZ with Eibach Sportline springs with 20mm front and 25mm rear spacers. But ya, search the forum. There are much better examples out there.

I really like this setup...
Calin (10-06-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
If I choose to add the spacers later after the springs have settled, will I get "camber" from those and then have to realign again? Should I just install both at the same time?
I'd do springs first, wait a week or two, then add spacers, then align.

or

Springs and spacers, align right away, then align again in a few months (add camber bolts to the front if you want it to match the rear's natural camber at your new ride height (probably about -1 to -1.5 camber).
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
retrosmiths (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
cslntuee

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Any of the 1" drop springs will do. I'd recommend the Swift FR-S spec lowering springs and a set of SPC camber bolts up front. Any CNC'ed hubcentric spacers 5mm or less will not required new studs. Not sure if you will get the "poke" you want but any more than 5mm spacers will require longer studs.

I'm running Swift BRZ spec springs, 2 sets of SPC camber bolts for approx. -2.6* of camber out front. And an ebay set of CNC 5mm hubcentric spacers for my RPF1 +45 with 245 wide tires. Only added spacers for clearance, not "poke".
Do I need any set for the rear camber? ( I am using the stock wheel and tires now)

Do I need to cut the OEM bump stops or I need to buy a new one? Any suggestion which should buy?

How about the headlight level? Needed to buy some set for adjustment?

Thanks.
cslntuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslntuee View Post
Do I need any set for the rear camber? ( I am using the stock wheel and tires now)

Do I need to cut the OEM bump stops or I need to buy a new one? Any suggestion which should buy?

How about the headlight level? Needed to buy some set for adjustment?

Thanks.
You will not need spacers with the factory wheels. Only reason I added spacers is to clear my RPF1's 17" +45 with 245/40/17 tires while running 2 sets of camber bolts and -2.6* camber. If I did not add camber out front, I would not have needed spacers even with the larger wheels and tires. At 1" drop the rear camber will end up at around -2*, probably more. The front will gain less than -.5* of camber. So it depends on the alignment you want.

I personally cut the bumpstops when I installed my springs.

The headlight level is fine. I did not make any adjustments.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
retrosmiths

Ok, rephrasing my question, I think I will go with springs for now, then add spacers later on. Are the specified drop rates by the manufacturers accurate? I heard Sportlines says 2.0" drop in the box but someone has them and only dropped 1.4".
Old 10-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Corner3garage

Drives: FR-S & BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

We love the Swift springs!

They are perfectly coupled with the V3 spacers that we carry!

Most of our customers like the 20+25mm combo for front and rear.
Corner3garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
i run the frs swifts, and the drop is perfect, but i dont like running spacers so idk.
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #13
Astroboy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Would I need to get an alignment if I were to put on 20mm spacers on the rear of my car? I plan on getting just getting an alignment for my trd springs and adding the spacers afterwards... Would that be ok?
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote