follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #85
Sing4LTS

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1point4 View Post
Borla Boxer Rattle?

Initiated warranty process. Waiting for them to reply to my email. I'll sitrep everybody as I make progress.

Here is the rattling I spoke of when I start my car. I'm 99.999% sure its the header doing this. If any of you hear this, then please check it out before it gets worse.

Hey Victor,

It doesn't sound like that anymore!

Thanks for the hookup!
Sing4LTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #86
Kregar

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
BTW we got 9 of these in today off the latest production run and they look great.
Well I am pretty excited I saw mine shipped today!
Kregar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #87
foney_email

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregar View Post
Well I am pretty excited I saw mine shipped today!
Mine shipped today also! Looks like we are getting the newest batches. I hope that the delay and backorder was some modification to improve the quality of the header. I doubt that I will be disappointed anyway. Really looking forward to this header!
foney_email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #88
JouMaSeHoes

Drives: Toyota 86 RED!
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Damn.. my headers are rattling too.

Traced the noise to the collector, have mailed Borla twice (included video of rattle and copy of invoice - thanks F1point4), still no answer. Will update when I have some more.
JouMaSeHoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #89
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JouMaSeHoes View Post
Damn.. my headers are rattling too.

Traced the noise to the collector, have mailed Borla twice (included video of rattle and copy of invoice - thanks F1point4), still no answer. Will update when I have some more.
Are you sure it is not the flex joint? JDL ran into an issue with it rattling and replaced it with a braided SS flex section. That's almost what it sounded like in the video a few posts above.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #90
fstlane

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
As a point of reference, here is some pictures of my latest production run header. The quality is still a bit lacking but an improvement over some of the older pictures I've seen on here. There is still some flange warping and one tube is full of metal shavings. I was hoping to install it today but I'm not sure about the gap in the manifold to head flange. It appears to be around .3mm and I'm hoping the gasket will seal it. If not I might use the DJCarbine method and straighten it with a hydraulic press at work. Either way it will get a thorough cleaning inside before I install it. I just wanted to update the Borla update thread with some recent data.
fstlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fstlane For This Useful Post:
kombatlion (10-22-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #91
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstlane View Post
As a point of reference, here is some pictures of my latest production run header. The quality is still a bit lacking but an improvement over some of the older pictures I've seen on here. There is still some flange warping and one tube is full of metal shavings. I was hoping to install it today but I'm not sure about the gap in the manifold to head flange. It appears to be around .3mm and I'm hoping the gasket will seal it. If not I might use the DJCarbine method and straighten it with a hydraulic press at work. Either way it will get a thorough cleaning inside before I install it. I just wanted to update the Borla update thread with some recent data.
You shouldn't have to fix their mistakes in quality control. That's just inexcusable, IMO. I'd get a refund and choose a better quality UEL if I were you.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #92
ThisGuy919

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Just installed mine the other day and now noticing a slight whistle when under medium load.. Went to check for leaks and couldn't find any? Anyone else having this problem?
ThisGuy919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #93
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuy919 View Post
Just installed mine the other day and now noticing a slight whistle when under medium load.. Went to check for leaks and couldn't find any? Anyone else having this problem?
How did you check for leaks? If you have a warped flange you may notice some black soot around gaskets at the flange connections. You should check the torque specs on all the nuts also, but if you already have a warped flange that's not going to help much. I would uninstall the header and put a straight edge on the flanges to be 100% sure.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #94
fstlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
You shouldn't have to fix their mistakes in quality control. That's just inexcusable, IMO. I'd get a refund and choose a better quality UEL if I were you.
That's probably true. However, it will only take me a few minutes to clean it and straighten out the flange. If that doesn't work I'll RMA it but there's no guarantee the replacement will be any better. I would have went with another option to begin with but I thought all of the GC issues had been resolved.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #95
fstlane

Less than 5 minutes with a press and it's fixed! The flange is perfectly straight and will seal tight now.

I also took a few minutes to remove all of the metal shavings and crap. I basically pulled a giant patch (microfiber towel) throught the tubing.

Finally I reshaped the bent runner tube end inside the collector a bit. A few taps inside it with the closed end of a combination wrench made it round again.

All and all I spent about 15-20 minutes to get the header serviceable. Now it's time to install it!

Last edited by fstlane; 10-20-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #96
schlomo

Drives: mazda3, 370z
[/QUOTE]

Yikes!
schlomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #97
fstlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlomo View Post
Yikes!
Yeah, it definetely won't win any beauty contest but it looks functional. I knew going into it the Borla header lacks the quality of the made to order boutique headers. However, it's still one of the most powerful, lightest and most inexpensive header on the market and Borla will back it as long as I own it. This is truely a function over form part on my car.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fstlane For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (10-21-2013), EvilBeaverFace (10-21-2013), FT-86 SpeedFactory (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #98
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstlane View Post
Yeah, it definetely won't win any beauty contest but it looks functional. I knew going into it the Borla header lacks the quality of the made to order boutique headers. However, it's still one of the most powerful, lightest and most inexpensive header on the market and Borla will back it as long as I own it. This is truely a function over form part on my car.
This ^

i can give a shit how it looks, im not staring at it inside the engine bay.

If the welds hold up thats all that matters, if it doesn't atleast its covered although there is that hassle.

I have the borla too and i am happy. It sounds great, feels great, just need tune.
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SliverBrz For This Useful Post:
fstlane (10-20-2013)