follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #127
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That'll be quite the accomplishment if they can make them significantly lighter.
they told me they are tryna figure out how to make it lighter still. all their current ideas have been heavier. so still may b a ways off. but id love a SC fully powered by their pulleys
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #128
lbroskee

Garage
@Raceseng ok so i went to install my S2 kit today. pretty easy....1 problem. the crank pulley. WARNING: If u have a modular header (FA20CLUB or P&L) or any header that goes up in front of the engine, u will need to pull it to install the crank pulley due to no room to pull it off and i had no lift access today . but i did get the other 4 on and it does feel a bit better so far
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to lbroskee For This Useful Post:
PoorMansRacing (12-02-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #129
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Haha yeah that's why I decided to wait to install the header until after the pulleys came out, it looked really tight.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #130
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Love Raceseng stuff. We got a bunch of things on hand here and the quality and fitment is top notch.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
Raceseng (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #131
Fofofawcett

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Raceseng pulleys installed!

I finally got the S2 pulley set installed at Pure Automotive this morning. Install went smoothly for the most part. Apparently my original crank pulley was a bit of a pain to pull off. Brady/Matt both said I'd notice a bit more "peppiness" in the car.

It is certainly a spot on description of the results. The engine just feels lighter (kind of the point, I know). Some people describe it as turning the A/C off...but that's not what I feel. Overall, the engine just feels like it wants to "play" more. It's subtle, not a night/day thing, but there is certainly a difference. The most noticeable change is in gears 1-3, much more of a "k, I had my snickers...lets go!"

No downsides here so far. No noise, no idle issues.
Thanks @Raceseng!
Fofofawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fofofawcett For This Useful Post:
Raceseng (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #132
Raceseng

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Awesome to here! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofofawcett View Post
I finally got the S2 pulley set installed at Pure Automotive this morning. Install went smoothly for the most part. Apparently my original crank pulley was a bit of a pain to pull off. Brady/Matt both said I'd notice a bit more "peppiness" in the car.

It is certainly a spot on description of the results. The engine just feels lighter (kind of the point, I know). Some people describe it as turning the A/C off...but that's not what I feel. Overall, the engine just feels like it wants to "play" more. It's subtle, not a night/day thing, but there is certainly a difference. The most noticeable change is in gears 1-3, much more of a "k, I had my snickers...lets go!"

No downsides here so far. No noise, no idle issues.
Thanks @Raceseng!
Raceseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #133
Mixlplix
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Raceseng- is there an actual HP gain with a LCP? If so, what is it and are there dynos to back it up?
Mixlplix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #134
Raceseng

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixlplix View Post
Raceseng- is there an actual HP gain with a LCP? If so, what is it and are there dynos to back it up?
A dyno won't show power gains from the lightweight pulleys because a dyno run is done in 4th and 5th gear. The rate of acceleration of the motor won't be affected enough. The major differences are noticed during acceleration and throttle response.
Raceseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #135
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbroskee View Post
@Raceseng ok so i went to install my S2 kit today. pretty easy....1 problem. the crank pulley. WARNING: If u have a modular header (FA20CLUB or P&L) or any header that goes up in front of the engine, u will need to pull it to install the crank pulley due to no room to pull it off and i had no lift access today . but i did get the other 4 on and it does feel a bit better so far
You noticed a difference with all of the other pulleys installed (less crankshaft)?
No disrespect, but the difference in rotational mass is so slight sans crankshaft that I'm skeptical, or astonished.
I already have the Perrin Crank Pulley, but I'm seriously considering the purchase of the remainder of the pulleys/idlers if the difference is noticeable.
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #136
lbroskee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystewart View Post
You noticed a difference with all of the other pulleys installed (less crankshaft)?
No disrespect, but the difference in rotational mass is so slight sans crankshaft that I'm skeptical, or astonished.
I already have the Perrin Crank Pulley, but I'm seriously considering the purchase of the remainder of the pulleys/idlers if the difference is noticeable.
slightly yes, but i really noticed it once i added crankshaft. id say pass if ur expecting another big difference tho. i did it b/c im eventually doing the driveshaft and MAYBE gears too
Old 09-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #137
rusty959

Drives: DGM BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm sure this has been said before but these are incredibly sexy. I haven't yet convinced myself to not have a harmonic balancer since this is my dd, but I'll probably still pick up the rest of the kit at some point. I foresee a lot of Raceseng in my future, good work guys.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #138
Mixlplix
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceseng View Post
A dyno won't show power gains from the lightweight pulleys because a dyno run is done in 4th and 5th gear. The rate of acceleration of the motor won't be affected enough. The major differences are noticed during acceleration and throttle response.
So does changing pulleys really improve acceleration? Or does the motor just rev easier when in neutral? I don't want to spend money on parts that are not functional so I just want some solid info.
Mixlplix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #139
rusty959

Drives: DGM BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixlplix View Post
So does changing pulleys really improve acceleration? Or does the motor just rev easier when in neutral? I don't want to spend money on parts that are not functional so I just want some solid info.
Its just like installing a lightweight flywheel. Less rotating mass so it will feel peppier etc.

Its not exactly the same, but it is reasonably similar to removing weight from somewhere else on the car. Less mass means less weight that has to be accelerated, so the power you have can be used more toward what you want.

You will notice the drop in rotating mass anytime you are changing engine rpm's quickly because you aren't using as much engine power to build rotational momentum. So neutral, definitely first, and some 2nd and 3rd. Probably also shifting a little bit.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #140
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Just installed this puppy last night.. The engine feels lighter on free revs and jumping into first.. There is an audible sound from the pulley at low RPM's (around 2k), but its a nice CAI'ish sound.. Might need to get the full set to feel any significant changes. Install was a breeze thx to all the DIY's posted.
Raceseng (09-26-2013)

Tags
engine pulleys, raceseng