follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #1737
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Not knocking the product, always been a supporter of this kit and the testers Without the testers there would be no mass production of this kit. I guess I'm just impatient and I'm not really getting anything from the last few weeks of discussion, which I've found to be pretty redundant and boring especially with all the TBD's being thrown around...
Understood. This is a brand new product and rob really wants to make sure it is ready for prime time.

Thank you for your continued patience and I will update the first post of this thread with any worthy updates so that you don't have to check back and dig so often.

As soon as this is available Rob will also start another thread I'm sure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #1738
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Indeed, especially when you compare the torque curves instead of just peak hp numbers - it looks like a curve from a 6 cylinder motor. Speaking of tune - I'm assuming the kit doesn't include any Ecutek or Brzedit license - somewhere between $199 and $600 depending on what you pick and if there are tunes available (Ecutek,Brzedit,OpenFlash,Unichip). Please correct me if I'm wrong Rob/Fenton/test crew.
Sorry, to answer this in a better way.

Fenton and I are both currently tuned on BRZ edit by Toma, both have different tunes but mine is basically considered the basemap which based on what I have caught wind of has been offered to anyone with a test unit and will likely be provided to anyone who buys the kit.

I can tell you this, I know rob wants to provide something with the Kit, but it has to feasible in order to be paired with the product which it ultimately is why ECUtek hasn't been in discussion.(not to say its not an option)

BRZedit is an easier method because if your local shop has it, you send them the provided base map, they flash and tune, you dont need to buy anything at that point other then pay for the dyno tuning, however if you wanted to be able to flash to stock on your own you would need to by a tactrix's cable and BRZedit. Cable I think is 120+200 for BRZedit

Now the way I see it is as time goes, Driftoffice being the first, once this kit gets around and Ecutek tuners get there hands on it, they will have a flash available, so for people like me that already owns a ECUTEK cable and Licence I could just buy a tune from them. ( yes that would be at my cost but im ok with that)

Anyone not looking for a flash setup could ultimately go with Unichip. It might not be set in stone yet cause based on my knowledge no conversation have really taken place. You can bank on Unichip supporting this, just a matter of time and its really going to be focused towards consumers that do not already have some sort of a tune. ( just cause its not offered with the kit doesn't mean you cant get it on your own)

That's another thing is anyone with out Ecutek already probably don't want to pay $900 for it VS those that already have Ecutek its just a matter of finding a tuner that supports it and buying a tune

So that's the dilemma faced with trying to package a tuning solution, everyone wants something different therefore I have no idea how it will work out, in my head basically Toma gave me a free tune on BRZedit, and im just using it for now until this product hits market and tuners all over get a chance to play with it.

Most the other major kits released basically say ECUtek or your on your own.

TlR : all tuning platforms with be able to support this product at the end of the day, you will likely get a basemap with product.
BRZedit is the only tuning method Rob has seen for himself provided by Toma based in Calgary, One other tester has been tuned by Driftoffice with Ecutek.

Unichip,Ecutek,BRZedit will all be able to support this product, but likely you will be sourcing it on your own.

I hate threads for this reason, I wish there was a way to sticky the informative posts to the front page. I hate it when I find a thread thats 30-70+ pages and have to read the entire thread to find answers lol
Bu-Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bu-Tang For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (09-06-2013), DAEMANO (09-06-2013), SpyderMS (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #1739
NYCsubaruBRZ
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ & 99' Ford Explorer
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Understood. This is a brand new product and rob really wants to make sure it is ready for prime time.

Thank you for your continued patience and I will update the first post of this thread with any worthy updates so that you don't have to check back and dig so often.

As soon as this is available Rob will also start another thread I'm sure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

im very impatient....... hopefully its here before xmas
NYCsubaruBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #1740
asher187

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1995 Civic Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsubaruBRZ View Post
im very impatient....... hopefully its here before xmas
At first I thought the same but

Firestorm FR-S :-D Tucson

Last edited by asher187; 09-06-2013 at 02:09 PM.
asher187 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asher187 For This Useful Post:
Robftss (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #1741
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher187 View Post

Edit: New readers should keep in mind this product is being compared to nitrous in that the boost is limited to demand, but like video game nitrous it recharges as you drive.

Firestorm FR-S :-D Tucson
LOL!! best I have heard yet. Video game nitrous is the perfect description. If you draft the minivan in front of you i promise it recharges twice as fast
Old 09-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #1742
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
LOL!! best I have heard yet. Video game nitrous is the perfect description. If you draft the minivan in front of you i promise it recharges twice as fast
Rob, next on your list is to mount a missile launcher
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #1743
asher187

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1995 Civic Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sigh. I'm going to leave this thread and quietly do what I want with my earnings just as I please.

This forum is brutal.

Have fun guys. Laters
asher187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #1744
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
why is everyone acting like a kid who got his candy taken away?

I would personally much rather have a product that has been thoroughly tested and done so to it's limits, than something that is just rushed out onto the market to make a quick buck. This kind of development and testing takes a long time to make sure everything is perfect. I am just as excited as the rest of you but we all need to let up an get off their backs. Remember this is essentially the first of it's kind, well at least that is showing actual results.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
Anaxilus (09-07-2013), DAEMANO (09-07-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #1745
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher187 View Post
Sigh. I'm going to leave this thread and quietly do what I want with my earnings just as I please.

This forum is brutal.

Have fun guys. Laters
I guess we put on our serious face today and cant see a joke
Old 09-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #1746
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Final pricing is still not known. I believe he is working towards getting canned tunes however i dont know how that will or will not be integrated.

Just stay tuned, all this will be revealed when the unit is out of testing im sure.

There is still the option that Pug and Rob are working on which will require NO TUNE.

We really are in the infancy of the product.... im guessing most will want a dyno tune just as you would with any other kit to get the most out of it.
Stop teasing damnit! Tell us more!
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #1747
Pug
Atoning Unifex

Drives: '13 BRZ Premium, WR Blue
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Smile Clamp Circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
Stop teasing damnit! Tell us more!
I already posted exactly what we're going to try... build a MAP male-female adapter/pigtail that has a variation of this circuit in this earlier post:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1632

We think we've found the pieces, but we need to hook the sensor to a scope and verify voltages first. Then plug the voltage(s) into Ohm's law to find what kind of resistor + zener is actually needed. Then solder it together and test. And then test. And finally, test more.
Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pug For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-07-2013), Robftss (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #1748
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
After all testing is said and done is roughly 210whp what were looking at for final production or do you think it still has more to give?
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #1749
Robftss

Drives: VW
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
After all testing is said and done is roughly 210whp what were looking at for final production or do you think it still has more to give?
Phantom website has ~ gains expected in the FRS/BRZ kit section.

Mostly depends on dyno and base engine variance for an outright peak HP number to be claimed.

The nature of the flow is strongest as an average power under the curve.

Like said earlier....electric NOS. Development for scalability, YES.

Rob
Robftss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robftss For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #1750
Thatruth2001

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
The Phantom Supercharger has been officially track tested. Announced on 6/21/13 and Track Tested 9/6/13 by a Novice

Took the car out to Portland International Raceway with a local group of FR-S / BRZ Owners. This is the first time I have ever been on a track. Session 1 was raining like hell, but each session thereafter got better. Running BFG Comp2 ultra summer tires 225 front 255 rear 18". The videos below are as follows:

Session 2 (Ok Run - Look at the MAF and compare to next 2 videos) - NO ESC / Traction Control Fully On (Totally Blows) / Wet Track No Rain / Koni Suspension Setting Soft to Medium / 3/4 Tank of Gas at Start.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoKyVEgAkak"]PIR Track Day Session 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Session 3 (Pulling It Together -Look At that Hot Orange Plastic dip FRS at the start, Digital Assassin ) - ESC Activated / Traction Control VSC / Damp To Dry / Koni Suspension Setting medium hard / 2/3 Tank of Gas at Start.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT7kx2r-sx0"]PIR Track Day Session 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Session 4 (The Hot Shit) - ESC Activated / Traction Control VSC / Dry / Koni Suspension Setting medium hard / Full Tank of Gas at Start.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km7vSeTbJLY"]PIR Track Day Seesion 4 - YouTube[/ame]

ENJOY!

Last edited by Thatruth2001; 09-07-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Thatruth2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Thatruth2001 For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (09-07-2013), DAEMANO (09-07-2013), Drift-Office (09-10-2013), normancw (10-25-2013), raven1231 (09-10-2013), SpyderMS (09-10-2013), statlab (09-25-2014)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive