follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #15
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,799 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm fat and I fit fine
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beltax90 For This Useful Post:
spike021 (12-22-2020), Ultramaroon (12-21-2020), Willpower (01-09-2021)
Old 12-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #16
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I’m tall (6’3”) with long legs, but I’m skinny about 180lbs. The seats are snug but just about perfect for me, except for leg support. I wish they had the little seat extenders like BMW. Honestly I think anyone over 240lbs is going to feel very uncomfortable in this car. It’s a deceptively wide chassis, which makes for a roomier interior, but it’s still a small car. I can’t fit in a Miata very comfortably, the seats don’t move back far enough. In the twins you have a lot more range of movement, I can even move back far enough that I’m too far from the pedals. But I think the seats could be an issue for you.
Like others have mentioned these cars are LOW, especially with lowering springs like my car. It’s not Lotus low, but you sort of fall into the car. It all adds up to a really fun and unique driving experience, but there are some sacrifices. I really hope you can make it work! If not now then soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:13 AM   #17
gdpone

Drives: Not a BRZ yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
5’11” , generously proportioned, size 50-52 suit. I swim and have good muscle tone upper body but I like to eat and drink.

I was worried I wouldn’t fit.

Wave of relief at dealer when I slipped in and she fit great. Switchcraft and shifter, even the window buttons fall right at the finger tips. Beautiful ergonomics. So unlike our old 2005 forester

Only way you will know if it works for you is to get into one.
Big true. Im a big fat bastard, and i know all fat bastards say this, but I do generally dont appear to be as fat as I am lol. Bad for me health wise because im pretty certain its internal fat.

Im hoping because I carry most my fat in my stomach, ass, and legs, that im sorta wider in front and back than side to side it will work out.

I SHOULD hopefully be getting into one today, so wish me luck. Im kinda planning unless its just not physically possible to get in, or extremely uncomfortable, to just continue to lose weight to fit better.
gdpone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdpone For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-22-2020), Willpower (01-09-2021)
Old 12-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #18
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpone View Post
Big true. Im a big fat bastard, and i know all fat bastards say this, but I do generally dont appear to be as fat as I am lol. Bad for me health wise because im pretty certain its internal fat.

Im hoping because I carry most my fat in my stomach, ass, and legs, that im sorta wider in front and back than side to side it will work out.

I SHOULD hopefully be getting into one today, so wish me luck. Im kinda planning unless its just not physically possible to get in, or extremely uncomfortable, to just continue to lose weight to fit better.
A friend of mine has the Ford Focus R with Recaro seats. Those are claustrophobic and way too tight across the shoulders. BRZ feels like a bench seat by comparison.

Mazda Miata, Honda S2000 and Mazda Rx are vastly tighter than BRZ. I couldn’t even get in the Honda.

Getting in and out of the car has not been an issue even with my moderate arthritis in one hip.

I hope it works out for you. Worst case- lose 20 pounds and go back
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g e For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (01-03-2021)
Old 12-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #19
gdpone

Drives: Not a BRZ yet
Yeah ....so apparently carmax damaged the front bumper during shipment so they are having to replace it lol, fml. Didnt get to sit it one yet. In other news might probably be getting a WRX built to the gills.
gdpone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #20
Willpower
The Power of Will

Drives: 17 BRZ PP, 02 S2000, 21 Mojave
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Very individual I think. You need to check one out for yourself. At 6’2, 210, no trouble whatsoever. I feel like I’ve got plenty of room. Body shape can make a huge difference.
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willpower For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (01-01-2021)
Old 12-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #21
sftateofmind
Evening Primrose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpone View Post
So waiting on a 15 BRZ to come in within carmax to test drive it but in the mean time ...

Wondering if there are any other fat bodies that have sat in a brz before? Have attempted to look this question up but seems harder to find an answer than you would think. Best ive found is youre only good up to 240ish.

For reference im 360ish 6' Working on losing it.

Mainly concerned with the bolsters on the bottom and somewhat the shoulders. And how my thunder thighs might be stuck together to create one uncomfortable situation for my berries.
I see a lot of people speculating about if you’ll fit or not but no one near your weight & height.

I own a 2013 BRZ. I’m about 350-360ish and 6’2. When I originally bought my car I was closer to 310 and felt fine. Now the steering wheel hits my right thigh extended out and up to the max but I still enjoy back roads, ect. My biggest issue is not really being able to heel toe. Fitting in the seat however isn’t much of an issue for me. I feel comfortable and regularly go on long drives.

I just found out about the 949 extender in this thread and I’m hoping it gets the steering wheel where I need it off my thigh. Would be a dream honestly to complete the comfort levels.

If the steering wheel raised just a little bit more I’d be fine too. Hope this helps.
sftateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:21 PM   #22
Llilith
Witchy one

Drives: 2015 BRZ Ltd, Dark Grey Metallic
Garage
Hey OP - I have a 2015 and my husband is of similar weight and height to you. He doesn't like to drive my car because it isn't comfortable. Just asked him what exactly was uncomfortable about it. He said the bolsters near rib cage are tight, his left leg rubs the door, real low to climb in and out of, and that will wear out the hip bolsters sooner.

I'm not a small person myself and I'm vertically challenged. At about 5'2" and 220lbs, I have never had a more comfortable car. I feel like it was made to fit me and I love it.
Llilith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llilith For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #23
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftateofmind View Post
I see a lot of people speculating about if you’ll fit or not but no one near your weight & height.

I own a 2013 BRZ. I’m about 350-360ish and 6’2. When I originally bought my car I was closer to 310 and felt fine. Now the steering wheel hits my right thigh extended out and up to the max but I still enjoy back roads, ect. My biggest issue is not really being able to heel toe. Fitting in the seat however isn’t much of an issue for me. I feel comfortable and regularly go on long drives.

I just found out about the 949 extender in this thread and I’m hoping it gets the steering wheel where I need it off my thigh. Would be a dream honestly to complete the comfort levels.

If the steering wheel raised just a little bit more I’d be fine too. Hope this helps.
Although you may be the best comparison number wise, might I just add another discussion point. Various people hold weight in multiple different ways in which what may be uncomfortable for you, may not exist on someone else of the exact same numbers.

OP really just needs to have a good long sit in one.

Ignore tall and small one. Look at 4 middle.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
g e (01-02-2021), sftateofmind (01-06-2021), Willpower (01-02-2021), x808drifter (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 12:23 AM   #24
g e

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Although you may be the best comparison number wise, might I just add another discussion point. Various people hold weight in multiple different ways in which what may be uncomfortable for you, may not exist on someone else of the exact same numbers.

OP really just needs to have a good long sit in one.

Ignore tall and small one. Look at 4 middle.
THIS!

Muscle mass and bone density are the main factors in weight. Swimming is known to not lead to weight loss because it builds muscle mass.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g e For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 12:01 PM   #25
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
OP. Search some local guys and they will let you sit in it. I know with COVID there maybe be more concern then usual. But a minute or two in a car won’t hurt anyone. You will know right away how much of an issue it will be. That said the WRX will have more room, but the seat bolster could still be an issue.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #26
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
At 230 6' the bolsters are kind of tight. Can't imagine 300 lbs being comfortable. You're gonna be sitting on top of the bolsters on the seats i think, but depends how the fat is distributed on your body.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:09 PM   #27
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm ~250 at 5'10 and I find the car to be very comfortable. I am decently strong with big back/shoulders and big legs. Car feels far roomier than miata and focus ST as it's a pretty open/airy cock pit. Good luck OP!
Old 01-04-2021, 12:49 AM   #28
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
OP. Search some local guys and they will let you sit in it. I know with COVID there maybe be more concern then usual. But a minute or two in a car won’t hurt anyone. You will know right away how much of an issue it will be. That said the WRX will have more room, but the seat bolster could still be an issue.
+1. If you're anywhere within 4 hours of chicago, I'm always looking for an excuse to drive somewhere.
Ultramaroon (01-04-2021)