follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
mdec

Drives: scion frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lowering stock seats

Guy's it is now 2016. Are we still saying there is no way of lowering the stock FRS seats ? No plans to track the Car so race seats not really an option. One forum mentioned some shop in TX willing to 'convert' the seat, but I'm not sure they are still in that Business & they are ~1200mi away. Anyone had any luck with swopping in seats from other Cars ?

I'm just looking for 1-2" more headroom.
mdec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdec For This Useful Post:
Bearcat86 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdec View Post
Guy's it is now 2016. Are we still saying there is no way of lowering the stock FRS seats ? No plans to track the Car so race seats not really an option. One forum mentioned some shop in TX willing to 'convert' the seat, but I'm not sure they are still in that Business & they are ~1200mi away. Anyone had any luck with swopping in seats from other Cars ?

DDPR in Sealy, TX can still do the seat modification. I haven't heard of any other good options to lower the stock seat.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,979 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdec View Post

Hello mdec and welcome to the forum .......

Sorry, I have to ask ....... you have used the seat adjustment to lower the seat all the way down .. ??

So, if your not going to track the car ....... you wouldn't be wearing a helmet ... ??

My golly ........ how tall are you ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
mdec

Thanks hmfrz.

....not as tall as some of the members here - 6'3" but I guess a long(ish) body. just feel like I'm sitting more 'on' than 'in' the car. Driving experience is great, just think it would be perfect if I could get a little lower. Anyone tried swopping seats form other Cars ?
The Following User Says Thank You to mdec For This Useful Post:
Antihero983 (07-02-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
mdec

..and yes the seat is adjusted all the way down.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The other Subarus (WRX, STI) actually sit taller and their seats aren't as well bolstered. Our seats are almost on the floor as it is. You could find a fabrication shop to maybe build lower rails, but you won't gain a tremendous amount. Another option is to find an auto upholstery place and have the foam in the seat bottom trimmed down.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Bearcat86 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
Bearcat86

Drives: 14 Firestorm FRS
I have the exact same problem and Texas is pretty far away.

I'm only 6'1" and I have trouble fitting in the morning before my spine has compressed itself enough for me to fit comfortably. I have the seat all the way down and try reclining but then my head is hitting the back end of the recessed area in the headliner and the seating position starts to get pretty bad. I've gotten used to slouching and just tilting my head whenever I anticipate hitting a bump to avoid any neck compression injuries. I keep a lint roller in my car to clean the hair off of the headliner. I would really like to track my car but don't see how I could fit in it with a helmet. My 6'4" and 6'6" friends fit better than I do (my legs fit better), my torso is just taller. I love the car and I'm willing to put up this one issue and always having messed up hair but I would love to have a better driving position and be able to do some HPDE events.

On a related note I'm also looking for a helmet that will add minimal height to the top of my head if anyone has any experience with that.
Bearcat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/budd...l#.V2l3Kk32biw
Old 06-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
KendallH

Drives: 2013 FR-S Base, 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
In my experience, buddy club rails sit quite high. Also, those are for aftermarket seats.

OP, I don't see how you don't fit. I'm 6'1" and have probably 4 inches of headroom.
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
Bearcat86

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
The other Subarus (WRX, STI) actually sit taller and their seats aren't as well bolstered. Our seats are almost on the floor as it is. You could find a fabrication shop to maybe build lower rails, but you won't gain a tremendous amount. Another option is to find an auto upholstery place and have the foam in the seat bottom trimmed down.
You are correct, I don't fit in a WRX at all. The list of cars I don't fit in is quite extensive. The twins have a lot of headroom relative to other modern sports cars.

I'm very hesitant to mess with the foam in the seat as it is so comfy. If I could get some pictures or see how the shop in texas did it I could probably find someone nearby who could do the same thing.

I'm also too tall for the headrest. The shoulder bolsters hug my torso nicely right in the armpits and the top of the headrest barely hits above where my neck and head meet. I usually drive with the headrest pulled up past the last notch so it isn't terribly secure. I'm concerned about the safety of the headrest either way. I suppose cutting out some foam could also help with headrest height so I will look into that.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallH View Post
In my experience, buddy club rails sit quite high. Also, those are for aftermarket seats.

OP, I don't see how you don't fit. I'm 6'1" and have probably 4 inches of headroom.
I don't see how any system can go any lower and if OP is willing to adapt other seats to the car then they should be able to adapt the stock seats to the sliders.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #12
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The only way you will go lower is if you used an aftermarket seat.

The stock seats are quite low already.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
8R6 (06-30-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #13
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Stock seats are so low that it's hard to get feets under passenger seat without hight adjustment for ones in rear seats as is.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #14
Bearcat86

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Stock seats are so low that it's hard to get feets under passenger seat without hight adjustment for ones in rear seats as is.
Yes the seats are quite low. No argument from me. If the seats weren't already relatively low I wouldn't have made it past the test drive. I'm just looking for suggestions to help a circus freak like me fit in a reasonably designed car a bit better. It does appear that there is an extra inch or two of height under the seat to be had. I realize that I would be making the car virtually undriveable for most people but that has always been any car that I fit well in.

I suppose replacing the seat could also solve headrest and back height issues. I'll try to find a place where I can try fitting in some aftermarket seats. It may be hard to find one that I fit in with a tall enough back. If anyone knows of a good place in Ohio/NKY let me know. I'll report back if I find anything that works well.

It's too bad because I really like the stock seats and would like to keep the airbag.