follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
stlgrym3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First oil change on BRZ runs E85

My car currently at 3200 miles. Last 500 or so miles were using E85 by the way of flex fuel kit. I know the first oil change is at 5000 miles, do I need to do it earlier since I’ve started to run E85? I’ve read running E85 burns oil quicker?

What grade of oil and how many quarts our car requires? I assume I can purchase the oil filter from dealer. Is there a good place to buy these stuff cheaper than dealer?
stlgrym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Why not let dealer change it? You re supposedly getting rid of the car anyways. Why all the questions?
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
here is 2750 miles on e85 which include 4 autocrosses. i used synpower 0w20. you can make the call
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Tristor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
There's tons of information on here about oil and oil changes in the stickies... If you're planning on doing oil changes yourself over the long haul it's worth it to get a Fumoto oil drain valve.

Beyond that, you should use 0W20 full synthetic oil from whatever your preferred brand is if you're primarily daily driving and you live anywhere where the average temperature in the summer doesn't exceed 100F. If you're in a hotter climate or you beat on the car a lot, you could consider running 5W30 instead.

Any brand of oil will do as long as its full synthetic. In the US, Mobil 1 is a good option since it's easily available at a reasonable cost (Costco has 6 quarts for $27 right now). The engine fill is 5.7 quarts, but I find it's closer to 5.5, with my oil cooler installed it's basically bang on at 6 quarts. Give it 5.5 and then take a dipstick reading after letting it settle for a bit and it'll let you know if you need to add more. Oil filter is the same deal. The OEM oil filter is pretty good, but you can also use any of the quality brands of filters without any issue. I was previously using OEM filters and Mobil 1 and I've switch to AMSOil w/ AMSOil filter, I honestly can't tell much difference even on my used oil analysis.

Even though this car is "slow" and is inexpensive, it's still a sports car, a performance vehicle, as such it has different tolerances than a vehicle designed for typical consumer usage. You need to be regularly doing maintenance checks on the car so you can find, identify, and correct any possible problems before they happen. This includes things like correctly checking your oil level, checking your coolant level, and checking your tire pressure. I do all of these things every single time I fill up with gas. It takes 5 minutes at most, and lets me keep track of whether I'm burning any oil, evaporation loss of coolant (woo Texas), and maintaining even tire pressure with changes in temperature, humidity, and road conditions.

If you don't yet, you should be doing these things. I recommend you keep a tire pressure gauge, a tire tread depth gauge, a small flashlight (useful for checking coolant levels and checking brake pad wear through the wheel if you have open back calipers), and a roll of paper towels or a stack of napkins in your glove box. We're talking an investment of 5 minutes when you fill up gas and maybe $20 in "tools". It's shocking to me how few people do this sort of basic stuff.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Busybee (06-24-2022), humfrz (10-20-2018), Impureclient (10-21-2018), MugsBRZ (11-25-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
stlgrym3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Why not let dealer change it? You re supposedly getting rid of the car anyways. Why all the questions?
I decided to keep this car and sell the other family car instead. I just can’t let the time energy and money I’ve spent on Tuning this car go by the waste side.
stlgrym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stlgrym3 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgrym3 View Post
What grade of oil and how many quarts our car requires? I assume I can purchase the oil filter from dealer. Is there a good place to buy these stuff cheaper than dealer?
0w 20 or 5w 30 whatever floats your boat.

5.5 to 5.8 quarts.. depending on how much comes out and your level after you fill back up. Technically the capacity is 5.8.

Yes you can get an oil filter from the dealer. Amazon or eBay can sometimes be cheaper.