follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
First test drive experience

After my Fairlady Z was totaled I was on the market for another car and instead of getting another one I was always interested in the FR-S/BRZ. But went for the FR-S because it was cheaper. You become spoiled after driving a sports car for a while and then have a sedan as a rental that steers like a boat. I needed something similar to the 370Z handling wise where the steering is sharp.

Went to the dealer and they had a 2015 AT Halo which they let me test drive. I got it out on the road and there was a little straight away and and i nice curve going onto the on-ramp. On the straight I immediately said to myself why the heck do people call this car slow and I wasn't even in sport mode and then I took the turn to get onto the freeway and smile came over my face and right there and then I knew i was going to proceed with getting one just 30 seconds into the drive.... but the dealer tried to charge me $600+ per month on a lease so I went elsewhere and got a decent deal on a Raven Black. They asked me do you want to test drive it and I said nope already did..what colors do you have in stock? lol

I was actually reluctant on getting the raven black because it's hard to keep it clean and gets dirty easily and very hot in direct sunlight. But I told the sales rep to give me a few minutes and I went out to the parking lot and it was parked against a white fence. I opened the door wide open and got inside and was looking around the interior and touching everything and then boom the door closed on me automatically (and there was no wind blowing that day especially hard enough to force a wide opened door to close). At that point I was like huh? then i got a evil smirk on my face haha.... and went back to my rep and said I'll take it. Always wanted a black car and liked how the rims matched yet contrasted the paint job.

Almost two years on the lease and I still want to aimlessly drive my car around with no destination in sight just for heck of it because it's so much fun.

Do you guys remember your first test drive experience with the twins?

Last edited by FX86; 06-30-2016 at 02:46 PM.
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-30-2016), leapoffaith_initial-d_frs (07-02-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I pulled into the Subaru lot because I was bored and saw a used BRZ sitting there; I hadn't even known they existed. So I test drove the used one, had a blast, and then sat in the display model while the salesman "talked to the manager." They knew they had me.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Back in July of 2014 I was getting my Lancer (a 2012 so not old) serviced at the Mitsu and had seen my first tC the weekend before so thought I would wander over to the Toyota/Scion dealer next door and take a closer look. Although I had read about the FRS development back in 2011 I hadn't given it any more thought and frankly had forgotten they existed.

As I stepped through the doorway I stopped in my tracks and stood and stared in wide eyed wonder. There in the middle of the showroom was a blazing beacon of lowered, tinted, highly polished orange glory. Frozen in mid step through the door and blocking others from entering the only thing that went through my head was "What the HELL is THAT????".

I made a bee line to it and for the next half hour crawled through, under and around it while all the time caressing every surface (pretty sure I drooled on one or two as well). All the time I spent looking there were 3 salesmen standing over talking with each other and the receptionist. They kept looking over at me but not one of them made any attempt to approach or speak with me.

Once I was ready to start talking I walked over to the desk and asked if I could speak to a sales person. Well these guys all of a sudden decided they wanted to talk but I told them I didn't need them but would wait for the one lady that was actually busy with customers. When she was free (about ten minutes later) I asked her if I could test drive one. She said they didn't have another new one but had just brought a used 13 in for trade and she could have it brought around front.

So, a few minutes later the yard guy shows up in front with a raven 13 MT that I can test drive. I don't think I have ever seen a more beat on, year old car, in my life! The hood and roof had huge dents where it looked like somebody had climbed over it. There were aftermarket wheels that were so badly curb rashed that I was surprised they still held the weight of the car and the tires were so bald that belts were showing. I do not even want to describe what the interior was like. I spent 20 minutes putting that thing through it's paces with the salesperson riding shotgun (pretty sure she peed a little at one on ramp) and we went back in and made the deal.

Then I went home and started researching, found this damned forum and the rest is history.
chaoskaze (06-30-2016), Mim (06-30-2016), soulreapersteve (06-30-2016), Talus1 (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
Romanov
Just another BRZ owner

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
For my first drive I drove an auto aspahlt fr-s. It was fun hugging corners, but i knew i wanted the manual even though i didn't know how to drive one.

So later at a subaru dealership, My friend test drove my car when we went to buy it on a cold minnesota February day. I had already contacted this dealership before about a BRZ that sold previously so they knew i was going to buy it.

Follow my Instagram @sal_brz
Romanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My first test drive was more a shakedown drive to make sure the car I was buying had no issues.

I had been watching the development of the FRS from the very first announcement that Toyota was working on a new, two-door, RWD coupe. To make sure that I would fit, I sat in one at the LA Auto Show when it first debuted. Like a glove. After that, it was just a matter of time before I bought one.

It was a little embarrassing at the dealership after I bought the car and was going home, however. I didn't know that reverse was left and up after lifting the lockout collar. I kept pushing and pushing (right and down) and the salesman poked his head in the window and said, "You do know that to get in reverse you have to pull up and to the left, right?" "Uh, oh! I see!" Except he didn't tell me about the lockout collar. So after a few seconds of pulling up on the shifter knob, I found the collar and then found reverse. Oops.

Last edited by MrDinkleman; 06-30-2016 at 04:27 PM.
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Absolutely! I remember sitting in it and thinking how the seats hugged me and everything was within hands reach. The seat positioning was perfect. When I drove off it felt really tight and composed.

I reach my first stoplight and not realizing how high the engagement point is in combo with a numb clutch, I stall out and cause everyone to miss the light. The guy behind me starts blaring the horn. I just sit in the car and laugh. I get it going at the next light change, but not without bucking it, then a rough 1-2 shift.

Once moving, the car just felt great. It was very communicative and the handling was impressive. I requested a specific color and handled some paperwork. I was dying in anticipation for my delivery. I smile everytime I drive my twin.
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
After my Fairlady Z was totaled I was on the market for another car and instead of getting another one I was always interested in the FR-S/BRZ. But went for the FR-S because it was cheaper. You become spoiled after driving a sports car for a while and then have a sedan as a rental that steers like a boat. I needed something similar to the 370Z handling wise where the steering is sharp.

Went to the dealer and they had a 2015 AT Halo which they let me test drive. I got it out on the road and there was a little straight away and and i nice curve going onto the on-ramp. On the straight I immediately said to myself why the heck do people call this car slow and I wasn't even in sport mode and then I took the turn to get onto the freeway and smile came over my face and right there and then I knew i was going to proceed with getting one just 30 seconds into the drive.... but the dealer tried to charge me $600+ per month on a lease so I went elsewhere and got a decent deal on a Raven Black. They asked me do you want to test drive it and I said nope already did..what colors do you have in stock? lol

Almost two years on the lease and I still want to aimlessly drive my car around with no destination in sight just for heck of it because it's so much fun.

Do you guys remember your first test drive experience with the twins?
I remember mine down to the last detail.

I placed a deposit 3 months before release. When it came in I went to look at it and sit in it. Then I did some paperwork and drove it home. Never even started it until after I owned it.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Mine was more of a FMK deal.

First one I saw was the Hot Lava MT with TRD exhaust sitting at the dealership...that was my F .

Tried to forget about it and convince myself it wasn't right for me, but I kept going back.

Test drove some 10 Series MT's, alone and with the wife in tow, decided I had to have one.

Ordered a '14 Hot Lava from my local dealer who said it would take 8 weeks...ugh...but I'll wait. 8 weeks came and went, 10 weeks, 12 weeks...screw this. The K was for the salesman who couldn't keep his promise.

Searched online and found a Silver BRZ Limited AT in stock at another dealer...bought it sight unseen. That's my M. Happily I might add, but I do make her get some work done from time to time to keep things fresh!
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Went to Ford, they had three cars, 2013FRS. A 350 and a new GT. Only took a second to know I didn't want 600$ car payments the GT would bring. The FRS was next to the 350. I walked around the 350 but the sexy lines of the FRS pulled me in. Test drove shit out of it says yea I love this. It was light tight and nimble. It was also sitting beside a TC. Go in to talk about it. It was listed at 21 told him no it has to many miles. He says 17 and that perked my ears. Manager comes back says I'll let it go for 15. He thought I was talking about the white TC. He even said that and I said want me to take the FRS I'll take it for 15 and it was done. Hardest part was trading my 02 GT for it. That's just a memory now. My GT never moved like my.FRS
Old 06-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #10
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Started with a 2016. I was looking over a Raven with red stripes in the showroom and the salesman is just like 'I love these. Let me go get keys to 1 on the lot.' I was like... uhhh, okay.

I had zero intention of driving it. I just wanted to talk price and have something to think about.

First thought: WTF!? I have my right hand in a death-grip around the shifter and I was struggling so hard to get it into 2nd.

Second thought: No torque but at least I hear something and am low to the ground... Oh shit. That SUV looks imposing this low to the ground. Oh shit, oh shi- not that bad I guess.

Third thought: I turn the wheel and it goes. Who knew!?

Forth thought: It really doesn't have any torque...

Fifth thought: I am going to regret trading in my spacious hatch for a 2-door micro-compact when it comes time to move.

Sixth thought: Now that I might be moving for work soon this car is going to make the transition a pain in my ass.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I tested drive when my friend got his brz way back 2013 first batch.
It was fun and excited, and my first impression was the clutch is harsh. lol
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
D5teph
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: Zenki 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ofcourse I remember! They didn't have a white FR-S at the time but they did have the Release Series 2.0 Lunar Storm color in manual. So I test drove it and immediately I fell inlove haha. I loved how the seats hugged me so comfortably. From the low seat placement to the 2000's style dashboard...I love it! Reminded me that I'm in a sports car haha. Then as I took it for a test drive and a couple turns, I realized and caught myself with the biggest smile. I was so impressed with how precise the 86 handled.... I was sold haha.
So the salesman and I talked and they found me a 2016 Halo in Manual in Los Angeles. A day later, car was delivered and papers were signed. (:
Old 06-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
UFO

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Audi S4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wasn't even looking for an FR-S, passed it off for being too slow. I was looking for a fun weekend/track toy and had looked at a couple of old 996 911s (I don't know why because I used to own one and the engine grenaded on me), Boxsters, Caymans, and S2000s but nothing struck a chord. Test drove a BMW 135i, loved it but it had issues so I started figuring out how much to offer for it but carried on looking anyway. Also started searching for coupes and a black FR-S popped up. Oh, yeah, I had forgot about those, better test drive it.

The ad said 'never smoked in' but the car smelled like someone had emptied their entire collection of detailing smelly stuff in it, it was overpowering and the trunk smelled like wet dog, I guess they forgot about that. Anywho, on the test drive I had a smile on my face the entire time, something none of the other cars had managed; it felt like the car had been made for me and I'd been driving it for years. Sales person asked me if I raced cars for a living, I told her I just drove like I did . That car wasn't for me, it didn't feel like it was a good match and I was convinced it was an ex-smoker's car so I passed. But, the tide had turned, I was going to own a slow car!

Went to look at another black car but it sold that daright before I arrived, but they had a white one I could look at for $3K more and it's white. I already own a white car :/. Test drove it, it drove better than the other car and I knew I had to have it. Lowballed them, left the dealership and spent the next few days chewing my nails waiting for them to call. Anyway, the rest is history .
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #14
Songha

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I lost my 2014 Lancer ES 5-speed to a deer on Christmas night. Rnadomly decided to look for the twins and found one an hour away. The dealership takes a $500 deposit for a two-day test drive. I let them keep my deposit and ended up keeping the car.
2013 Scion FR-S | 6-MT | Raven Black | Performance Mods: Invidia N1 Catback, Invidia Catless Frontpipe, BC Racing Extreme Lows Coilovers, 1320 Performance UEL Catless Headers, 1320 Performance Overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet (Stage 2 UEL, 93 Oct. tune), Whiteline Front Swaybar, Whitelight Adj. Front Endlinks | Asthetic Mods: DS Style Front Lip, Rocket Bunny style flares, F1R F21s | MY BUILD THREAD!
Songha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Songha For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-30-2016)