follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
steveholt

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question boxer rumble with stock headers???

If I were to keep the stock headers, what kind of headerback system would yield the closest results to the boxer rumble sound that a UEL header would provide?

this would be with a bone stock setup, no tunes.

I plan on keeping the stock headers for at least a couple to few years, so I was wondering what everyone's opinions would be on header back exhaust systems that would get as close to a boxer rumble sound as possible while keeping the stock header.

Is this even possible? I imagine no, but maybe just maybe there can be a setup/configuration that would get it as close to it as possible...
steveholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Unfortunately, that rumble is caused by he unequal length pipes in the header. The stock header has to be replaced.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,383 Times in 4,137 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Boxer rumble
Name:  hbo-boxing.jpg
Views: 2363
Size:  78.6 KB

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (04-10-2015), ppbiggums (04-17-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
With a catback, you can hear a slight "rumble" when starting off at low RPM's say under 2500rpm however past that it sounds pretty much smooth, only way to get that rumble throughout is with a UEL HEader
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You can get a pretty aggressive sound from a Perrin non resontated catback exhaust.

This exhaust sounds great assuming you keep the stock header and front pipe.

I have this setup and love it have yet to have anyone tell me it does not sound great.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
steveholt

The pressing question what is the best front pipe, catback setup that would mimic the boxer rumble sound? I know it wouldn't be a true boxer sound but I'm looking for something even remotely similar with just a header back.

The over pipe doesn't really yield better sound does it? That's just for performance gains?
Old 04-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
The pressing question what is the best front pipe, catback setup that would mimic the boxer rumble sound? I know it wouldn't be a true boxer sound but I'm looking for something even remotely similar with just a header back.

The over pipe doesn't really yield better sound does it? That's just for performance gains?
As the previous guys have said, the dropped cylinder beat sound is due to UEL headers, you will never get that with standard header as its pretty equal length.

Changing other parts of the exhaust will change the volume/loudness/rasp/drone, but you wont get the boxer rumble or anything approaching that without changing header to UEL

you can get a nice sound with stock header but just not boxer sound.

Most of the performance gain comes from changing header especially to catless header

have a read on Basic bolt on Mods link below
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
steveholt

I either want a deeper non raspy exhaust note that has good volume or a high and refined tone ala Lexus LFA/formula cars lol

I want to stay AWAYy from the ricer sound as much as possible
Old 04-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #9
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Either way both options are expensive.

Non rasp and quiet at street tones with aggressive roar is most indicative of the corsa catback.

As soon as you start messing with the FP OP and header, then things get loud and raspy very quickly. I would reccomend your choice of catless header (theres some nice NA options, although if you plan for FI, hold off on that) and keep a HF cat in the front pipe. Motiv sells a nice HF front pipe unit.

Change the header and youll want a tune. Gets rid of CELs, boosts power and makes your car pass emissions, whats not to love?
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #10
steveholt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Either way both options are expensive.

Non rasp and quiet at street tones with aggressive roar is most indicative of the corsa catback.

As soon as you start messing with the FP OP and header, then things get loud and raspy very quickly. I would reccomend your choice of catless header (theres some nice NA options, although if you plan for FI, hold off on that) and keep a HF cat in the front pipe. Motiv sells a nice HF front pipe unit.

Change the header and youll want a tune. Gets rid of CELs, boosts power and makes your car pass emissions, whats not to love?
I think I plan on staying NA because this is my daily driver so I wouldn't want the strains of daily driving put on a FI

Also I don't plan on tuning due to warranty issues and wouldn't want to have to flash it to stock each time to make sure I don't void the warranty

I'm primarily looking at the ft86speesfactory catted uel headers but the lead time is way too long
Old 04-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
FT&6

Drives: FRS Raven 6AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I drive an auto and I'm currently running the stock headers with an Invidia straight pipe and Nameless 5 inch axleback and I get a nice boxer rumble below 3k rpm when i'm in manual mode. Not too quiet or loud, just right. I will be replacing the headers with the JDL Catted UEL headers while keeping the stock overpipe and the rest of the exhaust as is. I know I won't gain as much power or sound compared to a non-catted uel and many will say it is a waste of money to go the catted uel route but I want to stay emissions legal as close as possible. I don't want to smell gas in my cabin from going non-catted and you never know when you might get a sniff test....rather be safe than sorry imo.
FT&6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #12
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
I think I plan on staying NA because this is my daily driver so I wouldn't want the strains of daily driving put on a FI

Also I don't plan on tuning due to warranty issues and wouldn't want to have to flash it to stock each time to make sure I don't void the warranty

I'm primarily looking at the ft86speesfactory catted uel headers but the lead time is way too long
Alot of folks on here would say to wait on the header if your worried about your warranty.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote