follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
Derek J

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Looking for advice on HID conversion kits

I am looking for information on converting the stock halogens to HID.

I would like to convert the DRL/High/Low beams and see a lot of different options.

Looking for advice on what's good and what to avoid.
Derek J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Prodigalson
NotNewToImports

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ WRB PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I went with CREE LED headlights. Very bright, even lighting and are 6000k. Unless you get a full retrofit, the HIDs will not provide proper illumination, whereas the focal distance of the LEDs is generally matched to halogen housings. Some are better than others (hotspots, dim areas, aiming, etc). As mentioned, I'm fully satisfied with my Hikari's especially considering the $70 price.
Prodigalson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (08-05-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,926 Times in 16,469 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek J View Post
I am looking for information on converting the stock halogens to HID.

I would like to convert the DRL/High/Low beams and see a lot of different options.

Looking for advice on what's good and what to avoid.
There ain't nutten wrong with the lights that came with your car ...... just leave-em alone .......

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
D5teph (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 12:56 AM   #4
D5teph
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: Zenki 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
There ain't nutten wrong with the lights that came with your car ...... just leave-em alone .......

humfrz
Man....I'm feeling that way now humfrz. I may just leave the stock halogen bulbs on.

But anyways to the OP, I just received an HID kit from Diode Dynamics and after the install (1) side was not turning on. I then switched the ballast to the other side and still won't light up. I think my FR-S doesn't like me messing with the lighting. Last time I installed anything lighting related for example LED DRLs, it burnt out my headlight housing and I ended up replacing the whole left headlight. Just something to keep in mind bro...
Old 08-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #5
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
I went with CREE LED headlights. Very bright, even lighting and are 6000k. Unless you get a full retrofit, the HIDs will not provide proper illumination, whereas the focal distance of the LEDs is generally matched to halogen housings. Some are better than others (hotspots, dim areas, aiming, etc). As mentioned, I'm fully satisfied with my Hikari's especially considering the $70 price.
I went to LED's 2 years ago, very happy. I have an eye issues and they helped me a lot. Needed to re aim down but that was it. Matched with 6k switchback up front and signals in red at the back. No issues at all.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Unless you can ensure the beam pattern/cutoffs are perfect I wouldn’t. We have far too many lumen lusters down here who retrofit HIDs or LEDs into their factory reflectors and end up lighting up everything but the road. They delude themselves into thinking they can see better because their lights are blindingly bright, but are only making certain their fellow drivers can’t see a thing.

I don’t know if they’ll fit an FRS, but the factory BRZ HIDs work amazingly well. I keep mine dialed down a notch around town and on two lane roads and raise them on lightly traveled or 4 lane highways. You need to make sure to dim them for oncoming traffic. For my aging eyes the cutoffs are perfect and on hi, you can see the actual road surface (not just reflectors) from hill top to hill top across a good quarter to a third of a mile. I love them.

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 08-06-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Capt Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
NAEightySix

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS 6MT (Asphalt)
TRS' Morimoto Retro-Quick kit may be what you're looking for, it seems to be of great quality, although I can't speak from experience because I used the Monogram Headlights on my car.

HID's with a proper projector setup definitely made a HUGE difference as far as visibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NAEightySix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
RallySport

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
For low beams, Decent quality plug-and-play hid will be an improvement in your stock projectors. They're not on a par with a full retrofit in terms of light spread, but all things being equal the Xenon puts out more lumens than halogens, no question. Just make sure you stick with a 4300 K bulb or close to it, and look up how to bend your squirrel Finders.

It doesn't seem like there's a great upgrade for the stock high beams, however if you go retrofit you can use bi-xenon projectors and retain your stock reflector high beams and have double output.
RallySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
Prodigalson
NotNewToImports

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ WRB PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
I went to LED's 2 years ago, very happy. I have an eye issues and they helped me a lot. Needed to re aim down but that was it. Matched with 6k switchback up front and signals in red at the back. No issues at all.
Interestingly, mine seem a bit lower than the halogens. Might try adjusting them up a bit.

Last edited by Prodigalson; 08-07-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Prodigalson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (08-07-2017)