follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone do Opti-Coat 2.0 themselves???

I bought it and am ready to give it a try and apply it myself. I've read as much as I could find and looked at a bunch of videos.

Has anyone else done it themselves and not had it done by a professional? If so, how did it go????
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Techfl3x

Drives: Firestorm Red FRS/86 MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had mine done by a pro. Was afraid to mess up given the durability and permanence of the opticoat. Although, I think the actual application takes less skill than the actual prep work beforehand. Paint correction is key to remove any scratches and swirls that may be on the paint (mainly from the dealer). You can probably give it a go if you're handy a polisher prepping the paint.
Techfl3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
I did it myself 2 days after I picked up the car. I asked the dealer to not wash/prep the outside of the car so there was minimal paint correction required. The key to it all is prep as indicated above though. Once you put the OC on, it will cover up any water spots or imperfections and they will always show. The only choice at that point is to buff out the OC, correct the imperfections, and reapply OC.

The steps are pretty much the same as a detail job. Wash, dry, inspect, clay (if necessary), perform any paint correction required, IPA wipedown, apply OC. You can see when the OC flashes over once you apply it. It's kind of like doing windows. If you see any streaks after you have applied the OC and waited for a couple minutes, just knock it down with a light wipe with a microfiber towel.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
Techfl3x (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Mr. Sparkle

Drives: Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
I did it myself 2 days after I picked up the car. I asked the dealer to not wash/prep the outside of the car so there was minimal paint correction required. The key to it all is prep as indicated above though. Once you put the OC on, it will cover up any water spots or imperfections and they will always show. The only choice at that point is to buff out the OC, correct the imperfections, and reapply OC.

The steps are pretty much the same as a detail job. Wash, dry, inspect, clay (if necessary), perform any paint correction required, IPA wipedown, apply OC. You can see when the OC flashes over once you apply it. It's kind of like doing windows. If you see any streaks after you have applied the OC and waited for a couple minutes, just knock it down with a light wipe with a microfiber towel.
I can't hate on the DIY mentality (thats how I got started) but be thankful only minimal correction was needed. I've seen near perfect paint on brand new cars and also WTF happened here paint on new cars. All depends how many times the dealer washed it before you came into the picture
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
I can't hate on the DIY mentality (thats how I got started) but be thankful only minimal correction was needed. I've seen near perfect paint on brand new cars and also WTF happened here paint on new cars. All depends how many times the dealer washed it before you came into the picture
I had the DA ready if the paint required correction (minor or extensive). I've done body work and paint work previously so it's not my first rodeo so to say. I detail all my cars myself. . have been doing so for over 15 years now. It's really a shame what a lot of new cars go through when the dealerships "wash" them. No new car that I purchase will ever leave the lot washed by the dealership.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
BRZnut

My car arrived in Nov in great shape from the dealer. I have been using Zanio since taking delievery. My trick is going to be to be sure that all the Zanio is gone before I apply the optic-coat.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Thomas Dekany
Banned

Drives: vw
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
My car arrived in Nov in great shape from the dealer. I have been using Zanio since taking delievery. My trick is going to be to be sure that all the Zanio is gone before I apply the optic-coat.
Any amount of polishing will remove zaino. You will be fine.
Thomas Dekany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
BRZnut

I did it this past weekend and it came out great. 48 degress in the garage. Although it is not suggested to go over a section twice, I did a second coat on the hood and front bumper 40 min after the first application. Wanted to be sure I have extra protection on the area that gets the most abuse.

What I learned is that it is very helpful to quickly go over each section lightly with a micro-fiber towel right after the application to smooth out the opti-coat and prevent high spots.

Although not necessary, I plan to apply Zanio in 30 days after the opti-coat fully cures to give it extra shine and protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
sinigang_guy (01-27-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Didn't Zaino just come out with their own paint sealant? I used 3D Nitro and like the results.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
BRZnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
Didn't Zaino just come out with their own paint sealant? I used 3D Nitro and like the results.
They have a long lasting sealant that last a few months, but nothing that is permanent. Unless something brand new has come out. I have been using their Z2 for years.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
How necessary is it to clay your car before opticoating? My FRS is less than a month old and not really sure it's necessary. Also where does one buy the 15% IPA wash?
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
Greg Gellas

Drives: S2000, Acura TSX
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
How necessary is it to clay your car before opticoating? My FRS is less than a month old and not really sure it's necessary. Also where does one buy the 15% IPA wash?
Proper prep is the KEY to coating a car. Claying and removing the contaminates are absolutely needed, even with a brand new car.

Its a 15% IPA wipe down.

Remember Paint is porus. Clay will not remove particles from the pores. Only a Chemical Decon will do that.

Last edited by Greg Gellas; 01-15-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Greg Gellas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Gellas For This Useful Post:
l0aded (01-15-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
BRZnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
To be honest I just did a dawn wash and made sure the car was bone dry and perfectly clean before I applied the opti-coat.

I am sure the results would be best with all the suggested steps but I am happy with my results

Sun finally came out today after 10 days of cloudy weather and the paint looks great. I did noticed I missed the area on the inside of the side mirrors and just applied some leftover to that area today.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
To be honest I just did a dawn wash and made sure the car was bone dry and perfectly clean before I applied the opti-coat.

I am sure the results would be best with all the suggested steps but I am happy with my results

Sun finally came out today after 10 days of cloudy weather and the paint looks great. I did noticed I missed the area on the inside of the side mirrors and just applied some leftover to that area today.
Dawn wash as in dish soap?
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote