follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
speargunsandracecars

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bilstein B6s and B8s

Anyone here have any experience with them? I'm running SCCA Street Class and would like some better shocks in the future. I also plan to have the Bilsteins revalved to match the stock spring rates, should I get them.

I ran Konis before in my previous vehicles, and I dislike how you have to gut the stock struts and their general quality control. Leaks, and huge deviations in valving in the same product. Don't really care too much about adjustability at this point. Trying to keep the car as stock as possible to be a better driver, rather than get mods to mask my errors.

Last edited by speargunsandracecars; 04-30-2014 at 08:10 PM.
speargunsandracecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 AM   #2
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
B6 is standard height, B8 is for lowered springs.

If you're on stock springs I'd use the B6. Why would you re-valve them though?

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
B6 is standard height, B8 is for lowered springs.

If you're on stock springs I'd use the B6. Why would you re-valve them though?
because off the shelf valving is never precise nor tuned for your specific desires

and in a lot of ways it is better than having adjustability, because the compression and rebound is perfectly tuned to your vehicle and unless you make any drastic changes won't require any knob fiddling.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
because off the shelf valving is never precise nor tuned for your specific desires

and in a lot of ways it is better than having adjustability, because the compression and rebound is perfectly tuned to your vehicle and unless you make any drastic changes won't require any knob fiddling.

While this is true, I think that the Bilstein setup has been designed for the twins and both the B6/8 would be ideal for both occasional track use and daily driver. How would you know that they need re-valving without even trying them 1st? You'd never know, they may just be good out of the box.

With Bilstein I'd expect a decent product from the get go, they're not exactly cheap.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
How would you know that they need re-valving without even trying them 1st? You'd never know, they may just be good out of the box.
because OTS stuff is always the same. Okay comp, high rebound....

This works fine for most people (even though the reality is that city streets need a completly different forumla), but the cherry is deep inside the cookie.

The units that are really going to transform your ride are those that allow compression and rebound adjustment... preferably low and high speed for both. But that's big money... half or a third of which you can save by simply valving a set of bilstein (and otherwises excellent component damper) to the desired setting.

here's some brief insight

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOtFJ-NcsHQ"]FCM Suspension Truth v2.3 - How Shocks Work - Rally setups - YouTube[/ame]
Old 05-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
speargunsandracecars

Bilstein B6s and B8s

Quote:
While this is true, I think that the Bilstein setup has been designed for the twins and both the B6/8 would be ideal for both occasional track use and daily driver. How would you know that they need re-valving without even trying them 1st? You'd never know, they may just be good out of the box.

With Bilstein I'd expect a decent product from the get go, they're not exactly cheap.

Yes it is designed for the twins. However, it's also designed for a multitude of different spring rates. Think one size fits all. From my experience with Bilsteins, they are almost always over dampened for any spring rate. Getting shocks revalved for very specific spring rates will make the car handle better while being more comfortable on the street.

Ideally, I'd like a single adjustable MCS set, but I can't really afford something upwards of 3000. With the Bils, it would cost me 1200 for the shocks and revalve. It's a good solution for what I intend to do with my car.

Last edited by speargunsandracecars; 05-01-2014 at 01:34 PM.
speargunsandracecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I only know of one member who has the B8's on (my set is waiting for me in the garage). His report back is that OTS they give the car a better ride than stock, both his and a fellow FRS owners thoughts after driving.

I'm excited to put them on just as they are.

Side note: I couldn't find them cheaper than I did at Tire Rack. Everyone else was 10-20% higher.
AG3NT_5CARFAC3 (03-19-2015)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,280 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by speargunsandracecars View Post
Yes it is designed for the twins. However, it's also designed for a multitude of different spring rates. Think one size fits all. From my experience with with Bilsteins, they are almost always over dampened for any spring rate. Getting shocks revalved for very specific spring rates will make the car handle better while being more comfortable on the street.

Ideally, I'd like a single adjustable MCS set, but I can't really afford something upwards of 3000. With the Bils, it would cost me 1200 for the shocks and revalve. It's a good solution for what I intend to do with my car.
This.

You'll see a decent gain with a revalve and especially if you're an autocrosser.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
B8s have been out for a little bit now...but still no decent reviews and experiences...despite the numerous praise, patient waiting and high excitement for their long awaited release. Lol!

I guess because they are expensive for what they are (just dampers, no springs, non adjustable....but very high quality) and most of all, majority of the people will spend that same amount on a low-end or cheaper full coilover system - st, megan, bc, stance, fa, feal or even Bilstein's own b14.

Sadly, to find a B8 + RCE spring combo owner, whom cares more about quality and functional performance over stance and coilover features(albeit low quality), will be and is super rare. There are just a lot of options out there (most bad quality or soft) that can be had for $1200 (the price of B8s and nice springs) or even less.
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
Createddeleted

Drives: 2014 BRZ - 2004 GLI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Uhhh I may have missed the point but, why wouldn't you just get the bilstein coilovers that are valved to the spring that it comes with?
Createddeleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Createddeleted View Post
Uhhh I may have missed the point but, why wouldn't you just get the bilstein coilovers that are valved to the spring that it comes with?
Because you don't like their spring rates....
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
speargunsandracecars

Quote:

Because SCCA Street Class doesn't allow coilovers or aftermarket springs.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
they are valved to the spring, but not necessarily a desired application
Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I was jus blabbing lol. But ya, most would just get b14 or similar priced coilovers.

Why wouldnt you get the b14 co over b8+springs? B14 have soft rates and are also progressive. Some may want firmer rates(rce yellow/tarmac or swift spec r) and also a more linear spring.
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote