follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
jm1681

Drives: MKVI VW GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stock resonator removal?

So, the more I drive my car, the more I don't mind the sound of the stock exhaust. I was thinking of perhaps just getting JDM tips, and pulling the resonator, for a bit more volume, but I'm a bit terrified of it sounding... well, crap.

Normally, those resonators are meant to eliminate high-frequencies, right? I don't mind that, but if it's eliminating a mosquito attack from my exhaust, I'd rather leave it.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has done it. I know there was a thread or two ABOUT doing it, but I don't know if anyone ever actually went through with it.
jm1681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
jm1681

Damn, no one

I'm going to hit the local shop this weekend and see what they'll charge to pull it (And possibly put it back >.<).
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
I'm curious too, post your results

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
jm1681

Will do. I wish I had more exhaust shops by me
Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The stock exhaust is a single piece from the cat to the the muffler, with the resonator built into it. So it's not really possible to remove just the resonator. You would have to do an Catback, or axelback exhaust if you really want to change the sound. Tips probably aren't going to do anyone other then visual appearance.

I'm not much into louder exhaust but I must say the Perrin catback w/resonator sounds great compared tot the stock exhaust.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
jm1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
The stock exhaust is a single piece from the cat to the the muffler, with the resonator built into it. So it's not really possible to remove just the resonator...

The Following User Says Thank You to jm1681 For This Useful Post:
Rayme (10-20-2013)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
milenko11

Drives: no
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The stock exhaust is a single piece from the cat to the the muffler, with the resonator built into it. So it's not really possible to remove just the resonator. You would have to do an Catback, or axelback exhaust if you really want to change the sound. Tips probably aren't going to do anyone other then visual appearance.

I'm not much into louder exhaust but I must say the Perrin catback w/resonator sounds great compared tot the stock exhaust.
I love my resonated Perrin catback. I can't wait to get their front pipe.

Also, the stock exhaust has a sound to it?
milenko11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Any exhaust shop can cut just before the resonator, install a flange make a new flanged pipe to the stock axleback. For a bit more they can go back and flange the resonator pipe you removed so you can swap between them yourself. On other cars it's not uncommon to cut the pipes to install exhaust pieces as not everything is "bolt-in."
jm1681 (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
jm1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by milenko11 View Post
Also, the stock exhaust has a sound to it?
To me, I think it does, and personally, I kinda like it, I just wish it were a little louder
Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
ABQautoxer

Are you sure you just aren't hearing the intake? I literally can't hear my stock exhaust. I got to hear an FRS with a muffler delete in person and was shocked just how quiet it was. I liked it so much I ordered one and will have it when I get back from SCCA nationals in a 1.5 weeks. I would recommend doing a Nameless axle back with small mufflers. Very easy to change yourself (2 bolts and 4 hangers) and you can go back and forth at will and its not too loud from what everyone says yet you will finally hear your exhaust. If you want it louder, you can opt for more of their pieces.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
jm1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
Are you sure you just aren't hearing the intake?
I don't think I am. I suppose it's possible, but with the light throttle loads I've been using during break-in, I figured any noise was coming from the back

That, and well, I gave it a few revs for a friend the other day, and I heard it clear as day

Quote:
I would recommend doing a Nameless axle back with small mufflers...
I've been weighing that too. At the moment, it's a big chunk of change for me, and that's what is primarily keeping me away from it for now. I figure pulling the resonator will give me a little more volume, without a big investment.

Plus, I wouldn't mind it not being loud enough to get the attention of the cops in my town, when I'm just rolling by
Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
ABQautoxer

Just so you know, you will spend a couple hundred or more with the resonator delete unless you find a rare person who will do it cheaper. The muffler delete is $125 shipped and very quiet when you drive by a cop. The fear of a resonator delete is you won't gain much volume but you may pick up some drone which sucks. Maybe you can find someone (people?) relatively close to you with different exhaust(s) so you can hear them. I'd suggest just removing the muffler but we've now seen a couple melted rear bumpers from this so it's not a good idea but at least you would see how quiet it is versus what you would expect.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
jm1681

Quote:
Just so you know, you will spend a couple hundred or more with the resonator delete unless you find a rare person who will do it cheaper...
The place I typically go to charges about $100 for this sort of thing, all said and done

Quote:
...The fear of a resonator delete is you won't gain much volume but you may pick up some drone which sucks...
That would suck The place is usually pretty good about eating some of the cost should you decide right then and there put it back the way it was The only problem then is a bunch of welds in your exhaust XD

Quote:
Maybe you can find someone (people?) relatively close to you with different exhaust(s) so you can hear them. I'd suggest just removing the muffler but we've now seen a couple melted rear bumpers from this so it's not a good idea but at least you would see how quiet it is versus what you would expect.
I was initially thinking about just doing the Nameless Track Pipe, but I believe that was melting bumpers too

I think the axle-back is probably the smartest move, the price of entry is what's killing me. I could always try and have the shop BUILD me an axle-back using a lot of the stock hardware, but it's still going to be more than I want to spend at the moment
Old 08-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Hix

Drives: 2017 WRB PP
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
remove the Helmholtz resonator up front first and maybe the stock secondary cat before dropping the resonator. Resonators help lower the exhaust tone making it a deep sound rather than raspy.
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote