follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #1
arrow34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: Firestorm red FRS 2015
Location: Rochester Hills/Detroit
Posts: 97
Thanks: 47
Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To repaint or plastidip winter rims...

Hi All,


I have a set of Enkei dm5 5x100 rims with winter tires on them. I got them pretty cheap off of craigslist, they are really badly painted gold, which I am so so on since it will be my winter set. BUT, I was thinking of repainting them or just pastidipping them a matte black... thoughts? The finish on the rims is... not the greatest. OR just leave it.
Attached Images
 
arrow34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Cole
Not a troll
 
Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: FR-S
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,104
Thanks: 8,237
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
If they're winter wheels, they're going to get beat up anyways. I use my stock wheels for winter and they've got scratches and gouges and rash on them. I don't worry about it because with all the salt and sand that gets kicked up on them, I'd have to redo the paint every year.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #3
arrow34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: Firestorm red FRS 2015
Location: Rochester Hills/Detroit
Posts: 97
Thanks: 47
Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yeah.... that's why I was thinking plastidip. I am just not that into the gold.... but it might grow on me....
arrow34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Shark_Bait88
Senior Member
 
Shark_Bait88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,351
Thanks: 1,674
Thanked 865 Times in 481 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I was going to do the same with the white painted Bugeye wheels I use for winter, but now it's looking like Saturday won't be as warm as originally forecasted, and may actually snow. So I'll just deal with the flaking crappy paint job on them now.

But if you're going to do it you'll need to either clean/sand them to be smooth, or use some paint thinner/stripper to take it off. Then lay down some primer coats, color coats, and clear coats (if you wanna get that fancy). Probably a good half day's worth of work to do it properly.
__________________
"Shark_Bait88, the man who’s spent the most money modding his stock FR-S and it’s still stock." -@jdnguyen
Shark_Bait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #5
arrow34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: Firestorm red FRS 2015
Location: Rochester Hills/Detroit
Posts: 97
Thanks: 47
Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
MaN..... that sounds like too much work I might though... I am going to clean the wheels when I wash my car on Friday and here, supposed to be 66 on Friday.
arrow34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #6
Ernest72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Location: Rockland county, NY
Posts: 1,431
Thanks: 186
Thanked 776 Times in 446 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I prefer to have nice rims, even for winter. I bought some used P1 OZ prodrives and powder coated them for my WRX. They are sweet and are my winters. But for the price you could just get a good set of rims.

I good paint job will be at least 300 and powdercoating will be like 450. So don't do it unless you like the rims. Paint them yourself a graphite color for winter, covers dirt and can even hide dirty salt.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:58 AM   #7
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 4,336
Thanks: 698
Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,437 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Or .. just don't do anything at all. Even curbed/scratched alloy rims will look better then steelies. Where there is one scratch, will be another. I'd think only of how much wheels cost/weight and of their condition cracking/bending/balancing wise. Paint/finish? It's simpler and easier stress-wise to just drive car as it ought to, then be overly cautious about minor things.
Though then again people for whom minor curb damage or paint scratches turn wheels to unusable make up good & cheap used wheel source in classifieds of several sites for someone like me. Forged wheels sets at 1/2 or even 1/4th the price of new ones? Keep it coming
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite
 
jimmillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
Location: Mississauga, Sq1
Posts: 726
Thanks: 482
Thanked 310 Times in 180 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I would go plasti dip. It's cover the imperfections better then another coat of paint would, especially if it's only for winter rims.

Just be aware that you'll need three cans to get enough of a solid layer to keep it from coming off during the winter.
__________________
.

jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
get 16“ rims for winter? ShowTime_DW Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 17 07-30-2015 11:01 AM
Series.Blue PlastiDip Gold Rims Strife26 BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 44 03-03-2015 03:57 PM
Anyone plastidip'd their stock rims? frz06 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 19 06-27-2014 05:19 PM
Plastidip'd rims - Vintage gold. Deadspool Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 7 03-08-2014 07:11 AM
Winter Rims RandomHero Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 15 11-05-2012 08:06 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.