follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
r_rated

Drives: Porsche 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Advice wanted (post searching and reading a lot)

I'm looking for a toy. I have quiet boring cruiser and wife has a decent midsize SUV; typical suburban young professional family inventory. We also have a 911 that I love - will be a car I keep forever. It really is the perfectish car in every way it is supposed to be. Before the 911 I had a 550hp/500tq(stock power) convertible that weighed as much as an SUV and was stupid fast in a straight line, super luxurious and scary to turn in wet, cold or less that perfect roads. Perfect for road trips but unsafe to have fun in the mountains with.

I'm a long term modder and have sorted my 911 quite a bit with it near completion. Past cars were heavily modded. It's(911) the USDA Prime of beef. Italians are the kobe and dry aged but not as good all around and not for everyone.

Sometimes we all just want a good cheap burger (think five guys, Whataburger or "in and out" for the left coast liberals). I've looked at old Lotus, used Cayman S, Miata, Z's and some other outliers. I've about made up my mind on a Subaru(toyota if a '17). I want all analog without the computer in the dash like the new Subarus. The 17s have some improvements like suspension, brakes, LSD and manifold which are appealing. I don't care about the styling. I just want a fun car to drive and track.

Here's where I need help... I would immediately strap on a Cosworth stage 2.0 (or as soon as it comes out for the 17) so the eliminating the improved tuning and manifold improvements of the 17. Coilovers, sways and full suspension ASAP and if a first gen get an LSD. Definitely some lightweight wheels and better rubber day one. With that being said, is worth getting the new model since the updates would all be replaced or is there some other compelling reasons to get a 17? I'd likely replace the radio at some point but they also suck in the new cars.

Thanks. Please respond with your thoughts or heckling if you so desire.
r_rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
All US models (pre and post 2017) use the same Torsen LSD, so don't let that be the deciding factor. If you're going to replace the suspension anyway, the updates to the 2017 suspension won't matter. The two reasons to go for the 2017 model would be the shorter gearing and Brembo brake upgrade in your case.

That said, if you just want a cheapish sports car to throw around and track, I'd save a few thousand dollars and get a first gen. Put that money towards good coilovers, camber adjustment, tires, BBK and a track-proven SC (like Jackson Racing) and supporting mods (clutch, cooling, pads, exhaust, safe tune, etc.) You may want a clutch-type LSD as well, depending on your preference and driving style.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
r_rated

I've had a rotrex sc on a past car and replaced with a twin screw. The twin screw is superior in every singe way.

With boost [supercharger] would the shorter gearing or longer be more advantageous? On a turbo - longer gearing; no question but I'm not so sure on a supercharger.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_rated View Post
I'm looking for a toy. I have quiet boring cruiser and wife has a decent midsize SUV; typical suburban young professional family inventory. We also have a 911 that I love - will be a car I keep forever. It really is the perfectish car in every way it is supposed to be. Before the 911 I had a 550hp/500tq(stock power) convertible that weighed as much as an SUV and was stupid fast in a straight line, super luxurious and scary to turn in wet, cold or less that perfect roads. Perfect for road trips but unsafe to have fun in the mountains with.

I'm a long term modder and have sorted my 911 quite a bit with it near completion. Past cars were heavily modded. It's(911) the USDA Prime of beef. Italians are the kobe and dry aged but not as good all around and not for everyone.

Sometimes we all just want a good cheap burger (think five guys, Whataburger or "in and out" for the left coast liberals). I've looked at old Lotus, used Cayman S, Miata, Z's and some other outliers. I've about made up my mind on a Subaru(toyota if a '17). I want all analog without the computer in the dash like the new Subarus. The 17s have some improvements like suspension, brakes, LSD and manifold which are appealing. I don't care about the styling. I just want a fun car to drive and track.

Here's where I need help... I would immediately strap on a Cosworth stage 2.0 (or as soon as it comes out for the 17) so the eliminating the improved tuning and manifold improvements of the 17. Coilovers, sways and full suspension ASAP and if a first gen get an LSD. Definitely some lightweight wheels and better rubber day one. With that being said, is worth getting the new model since the updates would all be replaced or is there some other compelling reasons to get a 17? I'd likely replace the radio at some point but they also suck in the new cars.

Thanks. Please respond with your thoughts or heckling if you so desire.
Why? What do you want and/or expect out of the car?

Previous car a GT500 or a F-type R?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
CSG Mike

Quote:
I've had a rotrex sc on a past car and replaced with a twin screw. The twin screw is superior in every singe way.

With boost [supercharger] would the shorter gearing or longer be more advantageous? On a turbo - longer gearing; no question but I'm not so sure on a supercharger.
Why was the twin screw superior for you?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
r_rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Why? What do you want and/or expect out of the car?

Previous car a GT500 or a F-type R?
Quote:
Why was the twin screw superior for you?
Previous car was a jaguar XKR-S.

Twin screw is far more linear and torquier than a centrifugal. It's almost like simply adding displacement and having no boost sans turbine sound. (consequently the Jags have a factory twin screw also.) Rotrex 38 is not linear and you can feel the lag in any turbo as well as unnatural tq in the boost. Twin screw runs cooler and is more robust in every way. The only negative to a twinscrew is that it won't have the huge power potential of a turbo set up.

There is a reason why OEM's use twinscrew/roots vs centrifugal - Mustang, Jag, Mini, AMG.... and the list is long for factory supercharged engines.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Quote:
Previous car was a jaguar XKR-S.

Twin screw is far more linear and torquier than a centrifugal. It's almost like simply adding displacement and having no boost sans turbine sound. (consequently the Jags have a factory twin screw also.) Rotrex 38 is not linear and you can feel the lag in any turbo as well as unnatural tq in the boost. Twin screw runs cooler and is more robust in every way. The only negative to a twinscrew is that it won't have the huge power potential of a turbo set up.

There is a reason why OEM's use twinscrew/roots vs centrifugal - Mustang, Jag, Mini, AMG.... and the list is long for factory supercharged engines.
Well... they've all ditched their twin screws for turbos now...

There are pros and cons to every setup, but you still haven't answered the most important question: What do you want out of this car?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
r_rated

Quote:
Well... they've all ditched their twin screws for turbos now...

There are pros and cons to every setup, but you still haven't answered the most important question: What do you want out of this car?
I'l expand on what I wrote in the original post. I want a fun, cheap, lightweight, RWD car with great aftermarket support so I can tinker and have a project. Will get tracked, pick up milk and eggs and go to the mountains - although the deterrent is the shitty ride to the mountains - ha!
Old 04-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Get a corvette instead. For the money you'd have in this car you could easily buy a clean vette that would outperform the modified twin and it is easily one of the most supported platforms currently. Unless you absolutely need a new car, but that doesn't seem to be the case with plans to immediately void the warranty.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-14-2017), CSG Mike (04-13-2017), swarb (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Have you driven a stock one yet? Pretty long list of "day one" changes when you may not even have enough seat time to know what you need to change to get what you want out of the car.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
You'd replace the RADIO?!?!?
Is Always Angry (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
HimBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
It's a great car right out of the box. Buy a clean used one from an enthusiast who hasn't randomly thrown mods at it and take some time deciding where you want to put your money. I visit a lot of old sports car sites and I feel a close relationship to those owners when I get it my BRZ. It's well balanced and honest.
HimBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #13
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,022 Times in 2,215 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Hope the mountains are within range of your tow service.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #14
CSG Mike

Quote:
I'l expand on what I wrote in the original post. I want a fun, cheap, lightweight, RWD car with great aftermarket support so I can tinker and have a project. Will get tracked, pick up milk and eggs and go to the mountains - although the deterrent is the shitty ride to the mountains - ha!
Why not just buy a car that is what you're looking for? While there's a lot of aftermarket support, if your modification list is that long without even owning the car, this may not be the right car for you unless you specifically like modifying cars.

Have you considered a 987 Cayman, a Miata, Alfa, or S2000? Why did you cross some of the cars you listed off the list?

What exactly do you have done to your 911, and would you consider it superior to a carefully modified GT3 or Turbo-S?