follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
LALFAN

Drives: FR-S RS 1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iOS 8 w/ 2014+ Touch Screen Head Issues?

Anyone having issues with their 2014+ touch screen head unit after upgrading their iPhone to iOS 8? Specifically the Bluetooth phone functionality.

I tried to make a call via Bluetooth and no sound came through the speakers, yet it made a connection when I checked on the phone. I confirmed with the person I called that it rang for them but they heard nothing. I tested this several times with the same result. Then after returning to the car several hours later and connecting BT again it showed "Calling [phone number]" on the display as soon as I connected via BT but I did not initiate this and it wasn't actually calling anyone on the iPhone. It was just stuck like that on the screen. All attempts to end call or cancel did nothing. I finally had to turn BT off to get it go away.

I unpaired the phone from the head unit, forgot the pair on the phone and deleted all personal data from the head unit. After re-pairing and trying it all again, I experienced the same result, calls out, but no sound through the speakers and the person being called cannot hear anything. Very frustrating.

Any ideas? Similar experience?
LALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
eyegee

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALFAN View Post
Anyone having issues with their 2014+ touch screen head unit after upgrading their iPhone to iOS 8? Specifically the Bluetooth phone functionality.

I tried to make a call via Bluetooth and no sound came through the speakers, yet it made a connection when I checked on the phone. I confirmed with the person I called that it rang for them but they heard nothing. I tested this several times with the same result. Then after returning to the car several hours later and connecting BT again it showed "Calling [phone number]" on the display as soon as I connected via BT but I did not initiate this and it wasn't actually calling anyone on the iPhone. It was just stuck like that on the screen. All attempts to end call or cancel did nothing. I finally had to turn BT off to get it go away.

I unpaired the phone from the head unit, forgot the pair on the phone and deleted all personal data from the head unit. After re-pairing and trying it all again, I experienced the same result, calls out, but no sound through the speakers and the person being called cannot hear anything. Very frustrating.

Any ideas? Similar experience?
Having issues as well. Contacts not syncing, and some of my music plays, other simply refuses. The apple forums have multiple threads about ios8 breaking different car b/t integrations, so it's definitely an ios thing. Hoping they fix it quickly.
eyegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Muckraker

Drives: 2014 FR-S
I am having problems getting podcasts to play through the USB.

When I launch them, it just says "loading" but never plays. But evidently, the phone thinks it is playing because if I switch to Bluetooth the podcast picks up in the middle, as though it had started playing when I selected it while in USB mode.

If I switch back to USB mode, the phone cuts off the podcast and starts playing the first song stored in it.
Muckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
IOS 8 just came out, also lots of companies who R&D in HU's do not consider phones a priority when it comes to connectivity.

Wait for Bug fixes or firmware updates from the phone to fix these bugs. I heard there were a lot of issues with the bluetooth stack on ios 8. good luck =)

For example take a look at pioneer's note about IOS 8?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
86•BRZ

Drives: 86 GTS
i have the same issue with iphone 6 and ios 8 for a bluetooth connection to a Ca-fa Dashlinq 4. I am sure apple will sort this out soon.... i hope
86•BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
86•BRZ

scrap that, network settings reset and a full restore/update of heading and all is sweet
Old 09-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
OrangeGuitar

Drives: '17 BRZ Dark Grey Sport-tech 6MT
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Perfect. After the update to IOS 8, the wired USB connection no longer worked. Song/Artist lists showed but songs would not play (or at least could not be heard) and display was not showing song title, etc.

Went to A/V settings, switched ipod connection setting from wired to bluetooth and songs played fine (no song listing, selection, as usual). Switched the setting back to wired, then plugged in phone and it works again.
OrangeGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
DCStorm

Drives: 2013 FR-S (RIP), 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm having plenty of issues with this as well with iOS 8. Hopefully there is a fix soon
DCStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
Muckraker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86•BRZ View Post
scrap that, network settings reset and a full restore/update of heading and all is sweet
how is this done?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
86•BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckraker View Post
how is this done?

Settings, General, reset, reset network settings. It's worth a try but not sure it was my fix
Old 09-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
Muckraker

Well, that reset seems to have helped my phone pick up 4G in my apartment instead of 3G, a nice bonus. But didn't help with the head unit.

Did notice that somehow the head unit decided it was in a tC instead of an FR-S and I fixed that, not that it helped with the iPhone connection.

Related? Apple released an update to iOS 8 in the last day or so, but withdrew it because it was breaking people's phones. Wouldn't make calls, etc...
Old 09-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Ever since I've gotten my iphone 6, text messages have stopped coming through the head unit! I tried disconnecting it from the head unit, and pairing it again, but it didn't help. I hope it can be fixed soon.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've noticed that music will skip for a bit after first pairing via Bluetooth, but after the first few skips it's perfectly fine. /shrug
Old 09-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #14
Muckraker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
Ever since I've gotten my iphone 6, text messages have stopped coming through the head unit! I tried disconnecting it from the head unit, and pairing it again, but it didn't help. I hope it can be fixed soon.
Try this:
go to Settings.
go to Bluetooth
look for your car's head unit in the list (mine says "Car Multimedia")
Tap the Info icon (the circled "i") on the right.
On the next screen, switch the "Show Notifications" setting to the on/green setting.

That's what worked for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muckraker For This Useful Post:
PERRIN_Chris (10-03-2014)