follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
klee99

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Aftermarket exhaust, headers, pipes void warranty?

Hi everyone, sorry if this topic has been covered but I have not found the answers I have been looking for despite all the searching. I am new to this forum. I was wondering if installing an aftermarket exhaust and headers will void the warranty at the dealership. I was looking to buy a catback exhaust and UEL headers (for sound, but I heard you lose hp). What about the overpipe and downpipes? Any CEL lights come on after installation? Pass smog and emissions? Thanks in advance.
klee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
CEL on header. Even a catted one can throw it because of high flow cats. Plan on tuning your car if you change headers.

No CEL on anything else. Unless the part causes the problem on your car, your warranty is valid.

Oh and UEL doesn't make you lose power if it's properly made. The difference is neglible on a properly tuned NA car. Unless you are pushing 400+ whp, then you'll see a small difference. I love UEL for the sound.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
pche
Guy on internet

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee99 View Post
Hi everyone, sorry if this topic has been covered but I have not found the answers I have been looking for despite all the searching. I am new to this forum. I was wondering if installing an aftermarket exhaust and headers will void the warranty at the dealership. I was looking to buy a catback exhaust and UEL headers (for sound, but I heard you lose hp). What about the overpipe and downpipes? Any CEL lights come on after installation? Pass smog and emissions? Thanks in advance.
I don't think any searching was done....
Attached Images

pche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Bobblehead

Drives: 2013 BRZ (gone) 2016 Ford Fusion SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
IIRC, header and tunes will void your warranty.

You might want to google the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act for a more in depth answer, but basically if your engine fails, the dealer has to prove that your part is what caused it to fail in order to void your warranty.

An example: If you install a new header and your shocks fail, they cannot void your warranty because the header has nothing to do with the suspension. HOWEVER, if you install a header on your car and the engine fails due to a lean condition (for example) the dealer WILL void your warranty and YOU will be responsible for fixing it.

As far as I know, you can replace the entire exhaust minus the header and be okay. But keep in mind, any and all modifications that you do to your car are just ammunition for the dealer to try to void your warranty.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If you are worried about warranty, then you shouldn't be modding your car. Simple as that.
Gotta pay to play. :P
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonbonazza For This Useful Post:
Freeman (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
klee99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
CEL on header. Even a catted one can throw it because of high flow cats. Plan on tuning your car if you change headers.

No CEL on anything else. Unless the part causes the problem on your car, your warranty is valid.

Oh and UEL doesn't make you lose power if it's properly made. The difference is neglible on a properly tuned NA car. Unless you are pushing 400+ whp, then you'll see a small difference. I love UEL for the sound.
Oh okay, I guess I will have to look into a tune as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
IIRC, header and tunes will void your warranty.

You might want to google the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act for a more in depth answer, but basically if your engine fails, the dealer has to prove that your part is what caused it to fail in order to void your warranty.

An example: If you install a new header and your shocks fail, they cannot void your warranty because the header has nothing to do with the suspension. HOWEVER, if you install a header on your car and the engine fails due to a lean condition (for example) the dealer WILL void your warranty and YOU will be responsible for fixing it.

As far as I know, you can replace the entire exhaust minus the header and be okay. But keep in mind, any and all modifications that you do to your car are just ammunition for the dealer to try to void your warranty.
I understand that they have to prove that the part caused the failure. So depending on the dealership, I can get headers and a tune and get it serviced and stuff? The only issue I will have is if something fails? Just worried that they will refuse to work on it if they see those installed.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
EpicNameBro

Drives: Slow...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It depends on the dealer but once you have an engine failure its corporate thats making the call not necessarily the dealership. At that point their going to do a diagnosis on the car and if there is anything no matter how little it is they more than likely will try and place blame on it. If you consider a tune count out any warranty for your motor...
EpicNameBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee99 View Post
I understand that they have to prove that the part caused the failure. So depending on the dealership, I can get headers and a tune and get it serviced and stuff? The only issue I will have is if something fails? Just worried that they will refuse to work on it if they see those installed.
Correct. Your service is independent of mods. Mods will only affect warranty claims. Obviously they will only service whatever parts are unchanged.

Also, be sure to keep any receipts. If you ever need to make an insurance claim, it's up to you to prove the car had other parts that need replacing.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
i'm going to say yes just on the principle that you put no effort into finding an answer
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
klee99

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
Correct. Your service is independent of mods. Mods will only affect warranty claims. Obviously they will only service whatever parts are unchanged.

Also, be sure to keep any receipts. If you ever need to make an insurance claim, it's up to you to prove the car had other parts that need replacing.
Alright I understand. This was the answer I was looking for. Thanks
Old 06-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #11
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
You can flash back to stock for dealer trips. They're pretty dumb.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 07:50 PM   #12
siko232

Drives: BRZ S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbonazza View Post
If you are worried about warranty, then you shouldn't be modding your car. Simple as that.
Gotta pay to play. :P
Probably the most accurate thing to say. Hahahaha but we all would like to proceed with caution.

Best to check first.
siko232 is offline   Reply With Quote