follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
Tectoniic
#FiftyShadesOfBlue

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 1,425 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Formula FW1

Anyone had any experience using this product? Only reviews i can find are either 5 stars or 1 star. I know the twins have a fairly thin paint coat so not sure if anyone has experience with the product damaging their vehicle.

If you care to read my bit of an angry soap box rant with the product, here it is. Warning:

During lunch I was at the gas station filling up. Guys are going around with this can of cleaner/wax and asking people if they can demo it on their cars. Formula FW1

Guy comes up to me with the usual "nice car, how do you take care of it?" crap. He starts asking about how I clean the windows since they are tinted. I'm well aware that i can't use windex or other ammonia based cleaners with tints so I was actually interested when he was saying that this is safe for tints.(Also aware that tints are on the inside and cleaner would be on the outside but just in case)

He then asks if he can spray a bit on one of my windows to show how it cleans. In my stupidity I respond "go ahead." Dude sprays the small window, my passenger side window, front quarter panel, front rim, and headlight. So much for the smaller window....

Does his two towel cleaning routine showing how it is so much better now. No shit it will be better...i have water marks all over the car from how much it has rained lately. I could wipe it with my shirt and it would have looked better.

/endrant

Now onto the reason why I actually wrote the novel above. Some of the 1 star reviews were talking about rapid paint dulling or heavy swirl marks after using the product. Would a simple car wash be enough to get wipe off whatever he had done?

Tectoniic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectoniic View Post
During lunch I was at the gas station filling up. Guys are going around with this can of cleaner/wax and asking people if they can demo it on their cars. Formula FW1
Everyone gets taken once in their life. I'm sure he tried to sell you a bottle afterwards. He basically put furniture polish in a bottle that gives a great shine for a few hours and after a day or two it fades to a haze. But yeh I'd avoid anyone coming up and saying they want to "demo" a product on your $25k car.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
Tectoniic
#FiftyShadesOfBlue

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 1,425 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Everyone gets taken once in their life. I'm sure he tried to sell you a bottle afterwards. He basically put furniture polish in a bottle that gives a great shine for a few hours and after a day or two it fades to a haze. But yeh I'd avoid anyone coming up and saying they want to "demo" a product on your $25k car.
Tried to sell me a bottle, saw i wasn't biting at the price. "You have a nice car, i'll give you 2 bottles for the price of 1 so you can keep it looking nice"...."Yea, no, i need to get back to work and you're annoying me"

Best part was that his best deal was 2 bottles for the price of 1 at $35 each. I looked it up for shits and giggles when i got back to work. If i actually wanted to i could get 4 or 5 bottles and 5 cloths for $45.

Tectoniic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
MonoRaven

Drives: 2014 Monogram Raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The swirls are probably coming from wiping it on peoples dirty cars at the gas station and rubbing dirt all over the paint like sandpaper.

The 5 star reviews are probably coming from the people selling it.

I've seen those people at a station around here (different product name) and just couldn't wait for them to come up to me so I could tell them to get the fuck away from my car with their shit, but they never did. I guess they knew better by the way I was glaring at them!
Clipdat (05-29-2015)