follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
zaockle

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Noise from driver side front wheel well

Last edited by zaockle; 07-06-2024 at 06:25 PM.
zaockle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:21 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaockle View Post
Hey all. I've been having an issue the last couple months. In August of last year I had BC Racing RM series coilovers with Swift springs installed on my car. At first all was good. But in late September I started hearing a noise when going over bumps. Not the usual road noise but more of a rumbling like somethings loose. I've had the motorsports shop where I had them installed check it over several times, but they can't seem to find anything. I took it to Toyota, and no big surprise but they blamed the coilovers saying everything else that was Toyota parts looked fine. At this point it's getting worse and I just don't know what to do. I almost want to just swap back to the stock suspension to see if it really is the coilovers. I reached out to BC Racing earlier today via email but they haven't gotten back to me. Wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue to this, and if so what they figured out.

Here's a video. The little thumping you hear is the sound in question.

Well, that has to be an irritating sound while driving your car.

It's the weekend - maybe BC racing will get back to you the first of the week.

Back-in-the-day, I would guess you had part of your exhaust system bumping up against something. Easily fixed with a piece baling wire.

Maybe the sound is being made by a wheel or brake part and not the suspension. -

I'd suggest you take it into a different auto shop, take the tech for a ride, then ask them to identify and fix whatever is whacked out.

Reminds me of the day that my younger brother had this 1954 Chevrolet. He asked me to take a ride with him to see if I could figure out what was making the noise. Just after we pulled out of the gravel lane onto the paved road, I yelled "stop the car" and I got out and discovered one of his wheels had all of the lug nuts just about to come off -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
zaockle (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,453 Times in 7,446 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Loose spring or tophat? Also sounds like possibly loose where the coilover goes into the tophat. Easiest way to tell is to get the car off the ground, pull the wheel and start shaking stuff.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
zaockle (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 01:04 AM   #4
Andyxin

Drives: 2017 BRZ WR blue PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi zaockle, this sound is really like the noise I had. I also took the car to various places to check and they couldn’t find anything loose or bad. I think the key point is the noise is transmitted through car body if I'm not mistaken. Thus the parts that make noise most likely are connected to the car body directly. I would guess it is your top hat. I just put some white lithium grease on the spherical bearings of my LCA today and the clunk sound is gone. You can try it since it is pretty easy and cheap.
Andyxin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyxin For This Useful Post:
zaockle (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 03:40 AM   #5
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,494 Times in 5,007 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
imho it's the camber plate, either the top nut is loose or the spherical bearing has worn out. Try tightening the nut with an impact driver first. If that doesn't work than swap the camber plates and see if the noise changes sides. During the swap you should also be able to inspect for any play and save yourself the time of taking it apart again. There's a outside chance it's the sway link but that usually doesn't make noise based on the driving in the video. BC will sell you a replacement bearing no problem,those parts wear over time and eventually need replacing.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,453 Times in 7,446 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaockle View Post
I understand parts need replacing over time, but I just got these not even 6 months ago and I had just been daily driving the car when I started noticing it. Seems like a bad product if it fails that quick.
Things can work loose after initial install. Though BC is also not known to be of the highest quality. I did have some Verus camber plates that I could never get the top nut to stay tight and it would knock all the damn time. I check my coils(Tien) about every 3 months to make sure the lock rings on the springs are tight. It kind of becomes general maintenance when you have aftermarket parts that don't have the compliance of OEM components.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-03-2019), zaockle (02-08-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:49 PM   #7
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Check the endlinks as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:33 AM   #8
ett808

Drives: 86 & CX-5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a similar noise but not as often as yours. Check this video to see if it helps.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rOifDVVYmE[/ame]
ett808 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ett808 For This Useful Post:
zaockle (02-08-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #9
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,190 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Everyone thinks thumps are always suspension related which I think draws attention away from our flawed EPS. Does the sound seem to come directly bellow the steering column down by your feet? If so it could be the EPS unit. The easiest way to reproduce the noise on mine is run over some road reflectors or do some heavy braking. There are a few threads going on this forum about the EPS unit. It’s $1400 to replace.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
djliquidsteele (06-03-2019)