follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Scion FR-S Manager hopes to introduce new FR-S variant every year

Goooooooooood stuff...

Quote:

From MOTOR TREND

Name:  frs1-623x402.jpg
Views: 83334
Size:  66.3 KB

During this week’s media drive of the 2013 Scion FR-S at Sodegaura Forest Raceway in Japan, FR-S project manager Yoshinori Sasaki mentioned that his team has big plans when it comes to delivering variants of the soon-to-be-released Toyota/Scion sports coupe.

“We are hoping to release one new variant per year,” Sasaki-san said. Should Toyota’s planning teams consider this viable, the updated versions could hit the market “sometime next year.” He then joked: “Hopefully, for the next ten years!”

According to Toyota global communications spokesman Akifumi Yonezawa, such zealous goals “are based on the planning team’s passion that they want FR-S to be loved over the long term by customers. [They believe] that sports cars should be improved continuously for keeping its outstanding performance and fame.”

For a better idea of what this entails, just consider Nissan’s Kazutoshi Mizuno, lead engineer for the GT-R, who has attempted to better his super car’s performance, efficiency, and usability every year.

Admittedly, the future of these revised FR-S versions hitting world markets “all depends on demand and sales,” Sasaki-san said. Quite simply, they won’t be made if there is no interest. Given the car’s performance and packaging potential, we’re pretty sure demand won’t be a problem, at least initially.

When asked if any of Toyota’s impeding versions — including a speculated supercharged model as revealed by lead engineer Tetsuya Tada (pictured above) — will rival the rumored higher-output Subaru BRZ STI that’s supposedly being crafted by Subaru Tecnica International (STI), the engineer smiled, nodded, and responded vaguely, “We will keep up.”

So, just how different will other 86/GT 86/FR-S variants be?

“Some will have Toyota performance parts from, say, TRD (Toyota Racing Development) — suspension, tires, wheels, etc. Others will be very different from that.”

Given that Subaru has made its performance intentions clearly known with the BRZ STI Concept at this year’s 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show, and that a company insider revealed there is a turbocharged FA20 mill in the pipeline, it makes sense for Toyota to pursue its individual avenues of performance and style. Granted, it’s still unclear whether any of these variants will head to North America, so don’t hold your breath for that 300-horse FR-S or luxury-focused Modellista just yet.

Regardless of which badge is pasted to its hood, it’s safe to say we can’t wait to see what’s in store for this impressive coupe.

http://wot.motortrend.com/scion-fr-s...#ixzz1gMBmpkSw
poormans_LFA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poormans_LFA For This Useful Post:
MarkRacerX (05-07-2012)
Old 12-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Syldrin
Troll Feeder

Drives: boosted scion tc.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
sounds like the Release series'
Syldrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
just give me the FR-S GT-R TRD Type R V-Spec NUR edition already.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa View Post
just give me the FR-S GT-R TRD Type R V-Spec NUR edition already.
Where do i place deposit?

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
In other words, they want people to "wait" to see if the next version is better than the one they could buy today. I hate when companies do that... Planned Obsolescence.
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ryude For This Useful Post:
Style (05-08-2012)
Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Torquesteered

Drives: 07 fusion
I would bet the first few special editions would be bolt on type stuff and cosmetics. I doubt a super/turbo charged version is within a cpl years. I would also bet on a topless version. As long as they sell they will make newer versions, I hope its a huge success so we have tons of choice in a bout 4-5 years. They do seem to be saying the right things and hinting at more to keep the hype up. They have to get those sales from people who just see the car and say "cool I want one of those". They get those people to buy and the car nuts like us will be happy campers.
Torquesteered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryude View Post
In other words, they want people to "wait" to see if the next version is better than the one they could buy today. I hate when companies do that... Planned Obsolescence.
Of course it doesn't always [usually?] go to plan. It's likely we won't know which version will be the best for our needs until that lot is sold out, thrashed, and in the junkyard. Most of us can't just go and buy every iteration [or want to], so IMO Toyota has to tread lightly not to piss off their early FR-S adopters or risk "doing a MINI", where the model changes so much through the years that all the early adopters are alienated and end up shopping elsewhere [coughMecough].

A smart way to go about it is to release variants that are non-threatening to early FR-S owners. First, come out with a factory supercharged model [for example]. Then, release a convertible. Then, do a couple special trim package models that are mainly aesthetic. At the end of the chassis run [years from now, when early adopters are becoming interested in buying again], do a full-on factory TRD model that throws the performance catalog at it.

That's my 2 pence.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

they're never going to be able to justify "new FR-S on a yearly basis" if they're only selling 3-4k a year. this needs to be a volume car, not on the level but not far behind the Mustang and Camaro.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Of course it doesn't always [usually?] go to plan. It's likely we won't know which version will be the best for our needs until that lot is sold out, thrashed, and in the junkyard. Most of us can't just go and buy every iteration [or want to], so IMO Toyota has to tread lightly not to piss off their early FR-S adopters or risk "doing a MINI", where the model changes so much through the years that all the early adopters are alienated and end up shopping elsewhere [coughMecough].

A smart way to go about it is to release variants that are non-threatening to early FR-S owners. First, come out with a factory supercharged model [for example]. Then, release a convertible. Then, do a couple special trim package models that are mainly aesthetic. At the end of the chassis run [years from now, when early adopters are becoming interested in buying again], do a full-on factory TRD model that throws the performance catalog at it.

That's my 2 pence.
I agree, I also think Release series type of variants would be a good way to introduce a fresh trim without upsetting previous buyers. You get a unique color, maybe different interior trim, but overall same performance.
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormans_LFA View Post
they're never going to be able to justify "new FR-S on a yearly basis" if they're only selling 3-4k a year. this needs to be a volume car, not on the level but not far behind the Mustang and Camaro.
I think this car will sell very well in other parts of the world that aren't NA where size rules all with massive 5 lane highways that go straight forever

I could see them doing a lot of special editions in Japan or Europe but I don't expect more than Release Series with special paint and bolt ons

SC version in a couple years maybe and drop top version in say 2 years or less depending on how well the coupe does
Old 12-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

MINI has some of the most loyal customers of any car brand.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
I think this car will sell very well in other parts of the world that aren't NA where size rules all with massive 5 lane highways that go straight forever
you'd be surprised but those numbers are starting to change, even if the F series is still the best selling vehicle in the country. if gas hits $5/gallon i suspect that might change, too.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
true but that won't change soon enough cause Camaro sells very well for a 3,750lbs land boat
Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #14
Jeff Lange

Drives: 1986 AE86 GT-S, 2011 Lexus IS250 6M
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Yeah I'm kind of looking forward to what a Release Series for the FR-S will look like.

Might be exciting times.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 6MT with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote