follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2016, 05:47 AM   #1
Sherb

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lowering Springs or tien z

I want to lower my car 1-1.2 inches and have read somewhere saying anything over 1 inch will require new shocks down the line. With how much shocks and Springs go for I figured I might as well just go with the tien z

My friend said tein coil overs sucks but these coil overs look real good. I don't plan to auto cross but wouldn't mind better handling that lowering a car will help with. It will be for a DC brz.
Sherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
MarkR171

Drives: '05 Elise
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Not sure why your friend would say tein coilovers suck, I was under the impression Tein was a reputable brand with quality products. That being said, the Flex Z is the budget basic street coilover of the brand. I had the Flex Z on my car for about 10,000 miles with zero issues and enjoyed them. The only reason I took them off was to autocross in a stock class that didn't allow coilovers.

ex '15 Scion FR-S
MarkR171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coilovers are great if you simply want to go lower. Most only lower 3/4 but I'm sure some go furthur. Stock shock life can be short with a fast enough driver but spares are a dime a dozen and lowering might maybe make them last less time. Think 50000kms instead of 80000 maybe. Thats a subject thats been discussed elsewhere with no conclusive evidence. The camber gains (along with camber bolts) are usually what I think people mistake as the "flatter" better performing car most often.

Coilovers will give better wheel fitment options, adjustable camber, height and for high quality units like MCA Reds or whatever your equivalent is, can give better ride quality at the same time as performance. I believe CSG rate the Flex Z as a solid option. Here import prices and the competitiveness of MCA push everything out of the market and as such I have no personal experience with them. It really comes down to what you want from the car and how much you are willing to spend as its $250 with a little DIY vs $1000 (no idea what the suspension costs over there in your imperial money) Don't spend the 1k if you don't have the cash spare and may regret it. Springs can usually be resold easily so they may be a good option for the short term at least.
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Northwest86 For This Useful Post:
Sherb (08-14-2016)