follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-04-2024, 08:47 PM   #3781
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I love watching Formula One, on TV. I have zero interest in attending it in person since you basically can't see anything and, well drunken crowds with no real interest in the race, just the party.
I can relate to your comments,

I used to be able to attend the free Open house pit lane walk and It always amused me on how the International jet setters would converge here for this
weekend-zoo, paying stratospheric prices for the privilege.

I have great interest in listening in on some conversations and realize that the general attendance at the event are not really into the details of F1 if at all.
If they can get their overpriced souvenirs that is what makes them Happy!

They have banned entry of all alcohol for the past few years here so I cannot bring my daily alcoholic supply no more...

Its a good thing in its own way as the heatstroke you will get is less severe when you drink the free St-Laurence river water.

I remember a time of following the biggest cooler parade and long lineups at the porta-potties late in the day.

I can get a 6 pack of beer at the gas stations around here for much less than they ask for one on site.

For the past 3 years the general admission area has ridiculously shrunken in size to make it useless to see anything.
Back in the good old days when I was a teenager you could climb a tree at the best corner & look down at the cars!

If it would not be a local race I would have a hard time justifying the cost...

You definitely see a better view of the race if there is one on your TV, and the commentators add to your education/ Information, but the onsite party mood
I experience when I go makes me feel good and I never tire of it even after more or less 47 yrs I have been a spectator at the race and fighting the crazy crowds or present at the events surrounding it.

They do have very big screens around the course so you can see events happening outside of your view...
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-05-2024), Stephen W. (06-05-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 09:43 PM   #3782
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Thanks for the extra info!

Yep I think we are well prepared to be wet. Luckily I've obtained some great waterproof clothing since I got into hunting last year.

We were able to snag a nice airbnb just a block from a metro station. So we are about 30 mins from downtown, or 45 to the track. Not bad at all. Hotels would have been at least triple the cost of what we are paying. We'll go out for dinners, but it's nice to make our own breakfast and lunch in a kitchen.

We are only going Thursday-Monday, but the overall cost of the trip has already matched what we paid for the 2018 race, and that trip included an extra flight and 1 extra week of accommodation in Quebec city.

If this trend continues, I won't be going again for a long time. My dad is getting on in years so this is probably our final GP visit together. Glad I was able to do that when it was much cheaper. The architecture in Quebec is stunning... nothing like we have on the west coast.

We are in grandstand 24 at the hairpin just like last time. Nice view of a big screen, but also get to see the cars very clearly as they slow down for that tight corner.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 10:20 PM   #3783
The Red One

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
Thanks for the extra info!

We are in grandstand 24 at the hairpin just like last time. Nice view of a big screen, but also get to see the cars very clearly as they slow down for that tight corner.
That's quite a nice corner to see upcoming passing & lockups! I just find it a bit far from the track if your in the higher up section.

The support race pits are just a 2 minute walk behind your seating and a worthwhile visit before you make your way to your seats...
Just be alert as they roll around quite fast between the onlookers...

Try to make your way past the next seats to your left (Stoll section) you get to see the Red hot CF brakes as they make it into the hairpin..

You will find the Metro quite efficient to get around, check out their fares, there is a unlimited 3 day one for only 21$, may be just what you need.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
wolffbite (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 02:16 PM   #3784
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,523 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I’m very lucky to have started my F1 viewing at Watkins Glenn in 1960. Yes I know the F1 circus didn’t start at The Glen until 1961. However, The Glen hosted an international Formula Libre race which had all the big F1 drivers and their F1 cars. Because this race was held for several years and was a great success the FIA gave them the United States Grand Prix. I think they had to modify the pits to meet regs of the day.
I grew up at Mosport so I’ve seen most of the F1’s held there. When it moved to Ile Notre Dame I went every year for a decade and a half. Eventually time, friends I’d attended with and finances made it no longer feasible. My own racing and other race series took over. The wife and I didn’t miss a single Toronto Molson Indy event from its beginning in 1986 until 2002. Life stepped in again as the wife and I had become more involved with Ducati and several clubs. We switched to going to MotoGP races when they began running them at Indy.
The bottom line is; I’ve seen some of the world’s best F1 drivers and their fantastic cars live, in person over four decades. I’ve heard those marvelous engines at full song, talked to drivers and crew and people from all over the world. I have such great memories of the sights, sounds and smells.
However, now on a fixed income and not being able to withstand the rigors of lots of walking, sitting in the sun, heat wet or cold I’m happy to enjoy all racing from the comfort of my own home.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-05-2024), Spuds (06-05-2024), The Red One (06-05-2024), villainous_frx (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 07:13 PM   #3785
The Red One

Montreal was having its yearly construction cone festival so there was nothing entertaining on Peel street this year unless you really needed to be seen on the classy terraces that were all over.

What a mess the downtown core is in this year.

Still lots of unique cars revving up with the police approval contrary to the attention they normally give to modded cars in the city.

Weather is looking much better than they forcasted a few days ago!

Some Eye candy, mostly taken on Crescent street :

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (06-06-2024), villainous_frx (06-07-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 07:07 PM   #3786
The Red One

F1 1st practice:

My morning started with a quick pit stop, literally. The 17 yr old city car that I was going to sacrifice to the hazardous MTL public parking duties to the race decided to greet me with a flat!.
To use the BRZ never crossed my mind. Replaced the wheel with a recently stored winter tire got me on site in time. Found a rotted out valve as the culprit will need to check the others this week...

... So was on site at 8am for Fridays practice session, and came out of there a bit worn down from both the long walk (15Km on my phone app from my parking) endured and the heavy rain
& good sized hail that pelted us for a good 20 minutes.
The morning looked promising with the sun & heat as we wandered about our favourite spots,
The only pictures I got were the morning support practice session with the Ferrari challenge & Porches. My secret unobstructed view is down to 5 feet of elbow finesse just after the hairpin.
They also blocked the passage on the rowing pool service road, a shortcut we usually take from the support pits...
We had some choice words for that surprise.

Our lunch was taken at the beach before we would go on to our seating area, much more scenic and quiet than where we were headed.
We were about to arrive at our seating when the rain suddenly started, just had time to put the ponchos on when the hail came down.
Then some overzealous security telling us to go back as the site was now closed due to the severe weather..
So we pulled out the unused stadium seats to protect from the hail and waited it out all the while wondering if they really had an official order to close down or not. The thunder & hail drowned out any PA announcements if they were happening..
The rain never really subsided and some chronic verification's of the weather sites by all 3 of us led us to just turn around and forfeit the seating for the afternoon..
The site had by then turned into a mud fest and puddle jumping was not feasible, shoes got real wet. The rain stopped as we were about to leave the site and so we drifted to the straightaway where the fencing is just a few feet from the course and hoped something good would come about...
By then the sun was out and they were vacuuming the flooded course.
The first cars to pass when they came out got us wet again as we had removed our rain gear by then.
We could not see much as they passed at full tilt and so close but the ground shaking with those cars maxed out sure felt good, The smell of F1 high octane was in the air....

The F1 Merchandise had stupid prices. We visited many memorabilia Emporiums trying to see who dared price their caps at over 160$ , Meanwhile I wore my prized 20$ Senna T-shirt that I had found at some local car show. My brother had forgotten to wear either his early Alonso/Renault or Max #33 shirts he purchased in previous years.

The city car came out of its parking duties not looking like a golf ball!

That Quali Saturday was a treat to watch, on TV.

But what a race from start to finish!

Not really F1 but these guys were running on the same track. Never got to shoot the F1 cars this year.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-09-2024), Stephen W. (06-09-2024), wolffbite (06-10-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 08:11 PM   #3787
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,381 Times in 7,414 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
I’ve been a fan of Sainz but what a bonehead move to not hold the brake when you are spinning and roll back across the track. SMDH. He may of still hit Albon but it didn’t even look like he tried to keep the car from rolling across the track.

Tags
no mikey nooo, supersupermaxmax, waawaaalewis