follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #29
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
I'd get the Touring before a 'vert.
Touring over the sedan too for that matter.
Sure, but I already have a utility car (Odyssey minivan). And I have a fun roofed daily (the BRZ). The goal of the convertible is to add something different. A sporty wagon would be worse than the BRZ for fun and worse than the minivan for hauling people and things. As much as I like sporty wagons (and owned a 2.0 EcoBoost Ford Mondeo Estate many moons ago) I'm not looking for one.
As an aside, I think about a BRZ replacement on-and-off all the time. The conclusion is a 2nd gen Twin, but even that is only if/when the current BRZ suffers a major problem, or if it becomes impossible to take the kids in it (as they grow).
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:59 AM   #30
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
How about an F23 M240i convertible?

The twins are indeed in a class of their own. I've been looking for a 4-door equivalent to them but so far nothing gets close.
Coming back to that question, I'm leaning towards a supercharged Jag' XE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Sure, but I already have a utility car (Odyssey minivan). And I have a fun roofed daily (the BRZ). The goal of the convertible is to add something different. A sporty wagon would be worse than the BRZ for fun and worse than the minivan for hauling people and things. As much as I like sporty wagons (and owned a 2.0 EcoBoost Ford Mondeo Estate many moons ago) I'm not looking for one.
As an aside, I think about a BRZ replacement on-and-off all the time. The conclusion is a 2nd gen Twin, but even that is only if/when the current BRZ suffers a major problem, or if it becomes impossible to take the kids in it (as they grow).
It's a bit of an oddball, but how about a 996 / 997 convertible?
Great steering, can still be had for low $$$. Maintenance ain't exactly cheap though...

If you can afford it, a 997.2 would be the cat's pajamas.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:24 AM   #31
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
It's a bit of an oddball, but how about a 996 / 997 convertible?
Great steering, can still be had for low $$$. Maintenance ain't exactly cheap though...

If you can afford it, a 997.2 would be the cat's pajamas.
Not an oddball at all, I even thought about it myself when starting this search. It would have been a great option if purchase prices were reasonable and maintenance was (relatively) cheap and easy. Instead these cars barely depreciate and everything holds a Porsche tax, even if you DIY. I guess it could be said that total cost of ownership wouldn't be that different vs. a 335i, but I still balk at laying $50k on a 13 year old car.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote