Thread: Subaru BRZ
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #16
SugarBrz

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
wth, it cracked the valve cover? That's rather extreme... I don't know that the cats are the things to blame on this one.. I know you said it happened right after the install but I've had enough secondary things pop up after I do an unrelated job on my car that I believe in coincidences now.

Also, doesn't that material look more like paper on the piston? Do you have a paper air filter?

I suppose it's possible that with a sufficient blockage; when the intake valve opens at the top, just before the exhaust closes (so during scavenging) that you could actually get back flow. It just seems so unlikely. My dad's truck years ago had the cat melt into a near solid blockage and it just had no power; no other damage (granted it's a truck engine).

*Also not a professional mechanic; just some guy on the internet.

As I wrote before it, me and a close friend had the same damages to our cars. In both cases the mechanic told us that the JDL Catalyzer was the cause. There’s a reason why they limited the warranty for track use and sc engines to only 90 days.

And both cars where using the HKS drop in airfilter, I think the damage was so big because of the combination of the catalyzer malfunction, low quality and the forced induction.

You see similar damages to Diesel engines when particle filter is blocked, the higher pressure causes often an turbo damage which often damages the engine when it’s late recognized.

Also both HKS SC Kits worked fine with ft86speedfactory catted UEL header. The engine of my friend was a fully build HKS 2.1 stroker engine and both supercharger kit have been installed by a professional company, so it was not an dyi.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (01-05-2020)