Thread: Another V8 Swap
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #1244
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Well I haven't been on in way too long. Lots has happened. Tore down the LS and eventually sold it and have gone head first into the 2jz swap. Building the engine myself this time so I only have myself to blame if something goes wrong. Build took a little twist as well. On to pictures!

Painted Freshly machined block.

Also spent some time cleaning out the inside of the block.

Some very rudimentary porting/polishing of the head. Really just a slight clean up

before

after (they have been cleaned up more after this picture was taken)

cleaned up a lot of the casting flash in the head and spent time cutting down the sharp edges from everything I could:
before

after

Stock piling parts along the way. Not pictured is ARP main studs, and ARP CA625+ head bolts, a few sets of bearings (I had to order multiple to get the clearances I wanted), full gasket set, PHR Ported Oil Pump, New water pump, alternator stud fix by Venom Automotive.

Then the build took two interesting and time/money consuming directions.

The plan was to run a stock head with upgraded valve springs and shimless buckets as anything more wasn't really needed... that was until I had to hammer the exhaust valves out of the head. They didn't just tap out with the hammer... I had to give them some good whacks. Built head time...

(why are these so expensive)

So head is off at the machine shop getting new valve guides installed along with a valve job.

The other project was the surprise purchase of a BMW DCT. I have wanted to go that direction for awhile, and this appeared for a decent price.

Had to get me some paddles to go along with it

paddle extensions. I got a set in blue and in black, but I think I prefer the black set.

Currently waiting on a custom (one off piece so far) transmission adapter. Should be finished in a week or so.

Trying to sell off my T56 and clutch kit and other things to help offset the cost and it's not going so well. So parts buying has slowed down a bit, we are also coming into winter which slows things down drastically as well.

Short Block is almost done. Need to get the Rods/pistons installed. Crank is in though

This was probably all over the place, but hopefully should be update a bit more often.