View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 10:30 PM   #55
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
so i'm still really into the Evo X idea... finding a clean example hasn't been easy sadly but i have a couple months before tags are due on my BRZ and need to revert it back to stock for smog/sale. i am also open to a newer STI if a clean one falls into my price range. ngl i've been test driving both in gran turismo a lot lol
What’s your budget, if you don’t mind me asking?

South Coast Mitsubishi (which is where I bought my two Evo IXs) hoarded close to a dozen new, never-sold Evo X SEs a long time ago, and I don’t remember hearing about them having sold them. Assuming they haven’t but are taking offers, I’d assume it’s not going to be cheap, but they’d be clean.

Before that, they did the same thing with four Evo IX MRs, as they stashed four (a pristine grey one, a red one and a white one each which were promo cars that had vinyl dealer stickers on them but still new, and another one that I never saw but I think was either red, white or silver) that they never told anyone about. In 2010, they announced on EvoM that they had them and were selling them at MSRP (which initially seemed crazy, especially since they were known for having sold Evos for under invoice for nearly five years straight, if you were a poster on either EvoM or SoCalEvo). A lot of people scoffed at the idea saying that they wouldn’t pay MSRP for a four year-old car. But an overseas buyer paid $50k for one (which presumably also included the costs to ship it to them), then SCM said that the bar was raised and that they were instead selling them for that much. Of course a lot of the initial doubters reversed course and offered to buy at MSRP, but no luck. They grey one (which I saw in their showroom floor for a year or two) eventually sold on eBay for $138k, and even Road & Track wrote an article about it.

Going back to the story, they had a dozen stashed in the back of their dealership. Not hidden, but just among other inventory and not in the front lot where all the attention was. I remember the GSM Sam saying that they weren’t offering the special forum pricing on them and that they were going to hold onto them. It was actually a pretty good model… they only made it for one year but it was basically a wingless GSR (from a visual perspective) but with the MR’s DCT, two-piece rotors and Bilsteins shocks, and also the MR Touring’s heated seats, but just not in full leather. So it was basically an MR Touring but with the standard GSR interior and wheels.

Last edited by DeeezNuuuts83; 03-02-2023 at 11:21 AM.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote