Old 03-30-2023, 09:58 AM   #48
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Sorry to hear that happened to your car OP. It would be a tough decision, I’d be tempted to go an old JDM sports car: S2000, DC2 Type R, EK9 Type R or an S15, the last 2 which are available in AUS. With older ones like these, they’re likely to hold their value or increase in value. So you can enjoy something fun and unique for a while, whilst not losing much money, provided you can get a good one.

Then the sensible side of me would want a new car with a warranty for around the same price, so for me it’d be a 2nd Gen BRZ/GR86 or a GR Yaris. The last one not available in the US.

From your point of view I’d toss up between a DC2 Type R, S2000 or 2nd Gen BRZ/GR86. I hope it works out, whatever decision you make.
Once you start daily driving any older car no matter how "collectable" it is they lose value. Part of what getting a "good" one is would be lower mileage. Start racking up miles and the value goes down. Not a big deal for a weekend toy or cruiser but significant if you are trying to maintain value.
Besides the list you provided are all very expensive in the US so buying newer in something more common makes far more sense for a DD.
Dirty Harry (03-30-2023)