View Single Post
Old 10-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #60
JCW 86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
I want to add that not having the proper butt feel helps you learn other senses more.
It's like blind people are better at hearing than people who see well, and don't rely on hearing as much during their daily life.

When you then get into a real car and get a new channel with useful information, that extra information makes you even faster (after some practice, perhaps).
That's anyways better than not having any prior experience at all, and getting overwhelmed by all the information at the same time, while paying your hard earned money for any mistake.
This 100%. Look up James Baldwin on YouTube. He won McLaren's world fastest gamer competition a couple years back, and he went from sim racing to winning GT3 races in a 720s racecar within a year. Unless you have a full motion rig, FFB through the wheel is the only sensation of grip that you can feel while sim racing and good sim racers become extremely in tune with it. He says in an interview that once getting used to the physicals forces in an actual car, you are able to take advantage of all the other ways the car communicates to you other than the steering wheel.

Partially got into sim racing during COVID because of this guy and can say that it really took my driving to the next level. Once I learned to understand car balance and weight transfer, techniques like trail braking, rotating the car under braking and throttle all started to come together and a great way to get those down is in the sim. I see a lot of recommendations for AC and other sims, but if you're looking for a sim with the best FFB, I would recommend rFactor 2. Do some research on their tire model and you'll be blown away.
JCW 86 is offline   Reply With Quote