Old 12-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
This is what I think:

I would like to see a BMW/Toyota joint effort with an inline-6 engine. One affordable model (30-40k USD) with a naturally aspirated I6 engine and one turbo I6 model (40-50k USD). Affordability is key though. There's no point in making another car for the ultra-rich like the Nissan GTR and Porsche 911's, as 98% of the population cannot afford it so it'd be nothing but a tease.

The engine and aerodynamics should be tuned by the TMG team that designed the F1 and Le Mans cars for more performance and prestige. The engine note should be tuned by Yamaha like the LFA for F1-esque sounds. Make it look very similar to the last Mk4 Supra (curvy, aerodynamic, sporty). Transmission options should include a manual and dual clutch. The chassis should just be steel but with aluminum hood, roof, trunk, and aluminum or plastic front fenders. Use aluminum in areas of unsprung weight such as suspension arms/links, knuckles, and dampers. Use Brembo aluminum fixed calipers with two-piece discs and forged BBS wheels (Washi Beam Japan). Use double wishbone and/or multi-link based front and rear suspension (instead of MacPherson strut).

Also, do not make it too wide or too long (around 1800mm wide and 2600mm wheelbase). Big cars tend to spoil the fun on the road and add weight. But having 2 small folding seats in the rear would help justify practicality for many. 225/45/18 is a good tire size to base it on and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are recommended. Same size tires front and rear would be nice for easier rotations, affordability, and playfulness (at least for the non-turbo model). Make sure the steering wheel has enough feedback and the handling is very predictable with a smooth and responsive power band without electronic traction and stability controls interfering too much. A limited slip differential should be standard. Also, make electronic systems programmable/customizable by driver in head unit. The Lexus LFA based digital display gauge would be an attractive choice.

The car should essentially be a bigger brother to the GT86 and more of a competitor to the Nissan 370Z (for the non-turbo) and the base Cayman & Corvette (for the turbo model). If you get the styling, engine sounds, and performance/fun factor right at a low enough price, it could be a legendary and very successful car.

Nail on the Head