Old 01-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #48
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
It's probably a heat thing. Even if you're super smooth and sympathetic ( ) to your transmission, I'd imagine the extended track use (and higher than stock torque) you see is generating much higher than normal heat internally (i.e. transmission losses we see mostly manifest in heat). I'm sure you use good fluid and change often, but you'll also see expansion/change of clearances internally as things heat up, seals can break down earlier, etc. Do you use any additives?

Street folks with turbo/supercharger kits will likely have less of a heat problem, unless maybe they are doing some really hardcore canyon driving.
My last transmission failed on the 27th of december, 2020, on the 1st lap of the 2nd session of the day on a rather cold day!

I'd correlate the typical transmission failure more to tire grip and shock loading, rather than heat.

While this is highly anecdotal, I had just swapped in a stock torsen diff recently, due to selling my ATS LSD. My Drexler wasn't ready to put in yet. The track in question has rather large, painted berms, and my AIM data shows a lot of one tire fire when I get on the berms at WOT. This is the same type of load that shredded my OEM axles.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (01-08-2021), Irace86.2.0 (01-08-2021), Spankopotomous (01-09-2021)