View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #21
mariooo86

Drives: Scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I consider this car reliable, and that's coming from someone who lost an engine at 64,000 miles from a fluke failure of the oil pump gear. I would 100% buy this car again.

However, personally I'd stay away from the ones subject to the recall if I intended to rely on the car as my only transportation. There seems to be an issue with the recall work itself sometimes causing more problems than it fixes. The 2014 and later models are not significantly more expensive than the 2013 models, so there doesn't seem to be much of a downside to just restricting your search to the cars made after the batch with the questionable valve springs.

The factory engine in mine didn't use any oil. The one the dealership assembled to replace the factory motor sprung a leak that was then fixed under warranty, and it has gone back to using no oil in the few thousand miles since that repair. It may pop again, but so far so good.

My general impression (which could be wrong) is that the ones that leak or burn oil generally have either been opened up for service at some point or modded in such a manner that has caused some unusual wear. If I bought a used one that hadn't been modded or beat to shit, I wouldn't expect the heavy oil consumption the Impreza guys are always complaining about.

I had to resort to swapping my engine since I didn’t realize how low my oil was and blew a bearing. Already had 80k on it, might as well get a newer engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mariooo86 is offline   Reply With Quote