View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 12:30 AM   #8
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
IIRC, Walmart and Sam's Club sell Murphy USA gasoline, which is not top tier. I have used Sam's Club gas in both my vehicles, and they ran just fine on it without any major difference in mileage or performance.

HOWEVER, I avoid Sam's Club gas in my BRZ, because it turns the minor chirping of the fuel pump into a cricket symphony. It sounds like I have the whole swamp under my hood. It's the only time I've ever really been annoyed by the chirping crickets. I don't know what the hell they're putting into their additive package to cause that reaction, but it is immediate and impossible to ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdrgn View Post
Top Tier gas is just a distinction for gas that has the minimum amount of detergents deemed necessary to keep an engine from gunking up too soon.
The top tier gas standard also requires that the fuel contain at least 8% ethanol. So the folks who search out ethanol-free gas in an attempt to avoid crickets are not running top tier even if they buy it from a station branded as one of the top tier brands.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-08-2015)