Old 06-22-2022, 05:02 PM   #30
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
I also use PUP as after a ton of research and calculations, I determined this to be the best bang for the buck with great specs. One thing I wanted to note which I'm sure you understand - that lower KV value is so insignificant, it really doesn't matter. The difference between 10.3 and 12.6 even out of the list you gave is completely insignificant. It's not a 19% difference in flow, it's just a difference in 2.3 cSt which is practically meaningless. Don't forget, when you start your car in freezing temps, you're sitting in the 500-1000 cSt range. Now THAT's a difference.

But I do have to admit if you're tracking or reaching very high temps often, I can see why the absolute lowest KV100 value (out of your list) will be unfavorable.
Yeah you kind of answered it in that bolded part above. In extreme conditions like the track, I’d prefer having every ounce of protection I can give the engine. Other factors like TBN and cold start protection matter less (again for that narrow usage case and short drain interval). It may not be a huge difference, but why not go for the oil that will give you that extra bit of protection?

That said, I’m not a huge oil zealot for any specific brand or formulation. I stated this earlier but I think any quality 30 weight would offer sufficient protection in most track usage, including PUP 5w30. I’d happily run any of the oils I listed above for the track.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (06-23-2022)