Old 10-23-2020, 12:22 AM   #260
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yea, I agree with both of those, that would be an acceptable compromise for me, even if I had to pay to "catch up" at some later point.

With Autopilot, it probably should be a safety recall, because technically it is. I should then have the option of repair or turning it off as part of the recall, with the appropriate releases, paperwork, etc.

I haven't seen anything on this, but has Tesla given any guidance on EOL for their vehicles? I would think at some point it would become fiscally overwhelming to continue to support a 20 or 40 year old car that is "software on wheels".
Like I said to Spuds, the system is already sound. Improvements are made to enhance its safety or adherence, but it is already safer using Autopilot than not using Autopilot, so a recall might not be necessary, but some type of mandate as described seems fair for both parties.

I don't know about that. Apple, for instance, continues to provide updates for years. My MacBook Pro is a mid-2010 model running a Samsung SSD and 16 gig ram, so it serves me fine. While I am still on High Sierra, I routinely get security updates. Windows supported XP for 12 years before it stopped supporting the platform. Was this because they wanted people to move on to buy more products, or was it because so few people were still using Windows XP, so they were essentially supporting such a small market that it didn't make sense. With that said, if a car manufacture still has many cars on the road after 20 years then maybe they would support them. Like Apple, maybe they don't get all the updates with the latest features that strain the performance of the hardware, but they may provide security patches.

Manufactures can choose to support cars for as long as they want, as long as they do the minimum of parts for 10 years, but they can do more:

Dadhawk (10-23-2020)