Old 10-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #253
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Ugm, this article did nothing to change my mind because it basically reinforced what I was saying I did not want, and I'm not the only one, including Tesla owners, that feel that way.

Question, what happens if you disable the ability for your Tesla to get updates? Does the car no longer drive? I'm asking because I don't know.

The very first comment in this article is a "do not want" scenario to me.
In the past it didn’t make a difference, but then it was a problem because many people weren’t doing updates, so I’m pretty sure they could be mandatory now. Tesla has the right to, at minimum, protect themselves from security breaches and from liability.

What Tesla should do is give owners the option of completely disconnecting from Teslas OTA updates and their server for security/hacker reasons. At such time, the car can no longer receive OTA updates, so if the owner wishes to reinstate those features then they will need to go to Tesla to first get a virus scan and then receive the update.

Similarly, Tesla should issue some type of formal recall on Autopilot technology. Because they have the means of updating this technology remotely, any refusal by the owner will be an acknowledgement of a forfeit of right to pursue litigation for a faulty system/part in the case of an accident, and any charges brought to the driver could possibly be seen as a willful act of negligence.