View Single Post
Old 07-24-2022, 08:04 PM   #336
drift86

Drives: GT86, 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ-G1 View Post
I have not posted here for a while. I got my BRZ in Nov 2021 and have done 6k miles and 2 track days. I have upgraded the suspension with Ohlins/6k Swift springs and Ferodo brake pads for the track.

Overall, I’m really impressed with the car and no real issues, except I feel I’m having engine knock. Hearing it when the engine is digging out from low RPM. I don’t know if I’m imagining it or not. This has been present since new. Cannot hear anything wrong when revving in neutral.

Can anyone comment on this, should I be worried?
Based on my experience with the 2.0, it's pretty normal for these engines to knock a bit in low rpm high load situations.

I used to set an alert on the knock channels on the OFT and it almost always detects a bit of knock if you floor it at less than around 3500rpm unless you are on e85.

If you do it a lot, then the IAM will drop below 1.0, pulling timing across the whole rev range which reduces your power. It takes a bit of knock free driving to bring it back up to 1.0.

So it's best to downshift if you need to pick up some speed if you aren't in the powerband.
drift86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drift86 For This Useful Post:
Midnightsky (07-28-2022), Petah78 (07-25-2022)